The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator fan does not run??? !!!!FIXED!!!!

4g63t

My car is overheating b/c the rad fan does not run. I removed the radiator to swap the turbo and it worked before. Everything is plugged in, the stock gauge works, the temp works on the datalogger, the relays are fine, and the fan motor works. The only thing I haven't checked is the temp sensor thats in the bottom of the rad and the resistor(?). Any tips on checking them?

Last edited:

I think thats the fan switch(plug on bottom of the radiator)...I don't think it would too expensive to replace it..might as well as put new ones in to see if it does come on or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Try grounding the wire of the rear-facing sensor on the thermo housing.Thats the back up emergency temp switch that turns both fans on high.Hopefully the fans will kick on as thats your last resort for cooling.Might help indicate the problem.
Double check the fan connections since you recently messed with them

4g63t

I just tried grounding that wire and nothing happened /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4g63t

I tried key off and key on

4g63t

I just removed the resistor thing and cleaned the contacts. put it back on, still nothing...

4g63t

I did that, but I just did it again just in case I missed something, still no-go. I used a multimeter to test the relay fuse bx and the relays are getting power...

G

Staff member
so the fan works when you connect it directly to 12v's ?

4g63t

Yes

i don't know what to tell you about the problem. i got a new temp sensor and that didn't help me. so i just hooked up a fan to a switch inside the car. when ever the datalogger displays slightly high temp i just flip the switch. you might want to do that for now

4g63t

Yeah, I'm really at a loss here, I'm gonna call it quits for now, and resume tomorrow. I'm going to try to go through the entire schematic and find the problem, I'm not that great at electrical problems, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help.

Does that fan have a resistor in it to control speed? If it does, perhaps it could be bad.

twkd

4g63t

Yeah, it has that weird little metal/ceramic resistor thing attached to the fan. I took it off and cleaned it up, but still haven't had any luck.

atc250r

Staff member
Chris,

Try bypassing that resistor by running a jumper from one side to the other or just cut the wires off of it, throw it in the garbage (where it belongs) and even if that doesn't fic it you'll be better off in the long run. However if you grounded the wire on the back of the t-stat housing (I can't remember the color but if you really need it I can track it down) it should turn both fans on HIGH which means that the resistor on each fan is bypassed since that's how you get high speed on the fans. Look in the schematics and see if one fuse feeds all off the relays for the cooling fans and that may be all it is. Sorry I can't help you more from here.

John

atc250r

Staff member
The problem is not usually in the resistor but where the wires are soldered to it. I've that go bad on both of my GVR4's as well as a couple of others and after soldering mine twice I just tore it out and soldered/heat shrunk the wires together.

John

cheekychimp

These might be two stupid suggestion but I thought I'd bring them up just in case.

(1) When you said that the fans work if you connect them directly to the 12V supply, did you connect the power to the connector plug or did you connect it somewhere else more convenient nearer the body of the fan? I'm just thinking it might be something stupid like a broken wire.

(2) Did you previously remove any relays? Not all relays are identical and I once spent hours trying to work out a similar problem before I realized I'd plugged the wrong friggin' relay back in.

Paul.

4g63t

John, you are the man!! I definately owe you a beer! I cut the resistor out and soldered the wires together, and lo and behold, it works great! Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts