The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo timer install, help

im trying to install a turbo timer, i have a harness for it. but i cant figure out where to plug it in. looking at the instructions it says to plug the 3-pin side of the harness into the plug for the ignition/starter. ive got the dash ripped apart, am looking at like 4 different plugs i can choose from... but theyre all 4-pin or larger. heres pics of what im trying to do, with the plug i have, and the plugs im looking at in an attempt to figure out which one to use. someone help, im going crazy!

instructions
TTInst.jpg

Harness
TTHarn.jpg

plugs (which one do i plug it into!!!) the two on the right: (blue/black) and (black/white) come from the ignition/key switch. the blue/black is a 6-pin and the black/white is 4 pin. but even the 4-pin side of the harness doesnt work.
TTopti.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

well int he second pic, you plug it in the blue and black ones. But wtf, your harness looks wrong.

your harness should look like this
t_17142.jpg

wellt he one on the right plugs right into the turbo timer's plug and there should be two other plugs that look like the pic I posted.

As I remember all mine were 3 prong. I actually used the same harness off my 95 3000GT VR4 for my 92 galant and it worked strangly enough..

Austin

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, I think that harness is wrong. I have never seen any plug like that on my DSM. You may have to just tap into that blue/black connector to wire it up.

yea, im trying to tap it in right now. got all the other wires going but i need to find a 12v power souce. my voltmeter is broken and with the ignition all apart i cant go get a new one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif anyone know a good constant 12v power source? namely wire coloring...

bazeng

straight off the bat..
haha. nah..

i dont know the colour but u will probably need a good multimeter to find the wires you need ..

unless somebody has them recorded???

how'd u find the rest without being able to find the 12v constant?

i have an install guide made for 1G DSMs. the other colors were listed as 'tap X color from the harness into the "blue/red" in the ignition, but the 12v constant connection was "crimp the wire and plug it into an unused fuse spot". im guessing the ignition itself has a 12v supply since thats where the harness would have gotten power, but i dont know which wire it is. ive got a solid black, black/yellow, and black/red that i havent tapped into yet.

the big solid black one off the 6-pin plug (same one i tapped into for the other wires) -is- a constant 12v power supply. turbo timer is now installed and working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif PITA, little less than 4 hours from start to finish for someone who has never done electrical work before, had a shitty diagram, and had to run to the store and buy a multimeter then figure out how to use it, then install everything, tape it all up, and do a pretty cool install in the vent by my knees underneath the steering wheel.

note to anyone who searches and finds this topic: BUY A HARNESS. literally probably a 15 minute job for a complete noob like me to do if i had a harness. if you have electrical skills and want to do this on your own then the solid black wire IS a constant 12v power supply (no FAQ or website anywhere says this)

DSM, eclipse, galant VR4, turbo timer, install (search engine words)

bazeng

haha
lucky you didn't use my guess..

thickest is usually 12v constant..

did u solder everything up?
if you didn't.. it'll prolly be best to..

maybe draw up a diagram to help others in the future?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts