The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

High Performance Intake Manifolds

VR4coop

What is everyones experience with any of the high performance intake mani's out there. ie- BJ's, Forrester,Magnus... ect. While i have my whole motor out i was thinking about doing this. My mods for a reference

Balance shafts eliminated
Re-Freshed Head w/ Extreme Motorsports Lifters
DNP Performance Tubular Exhaust manifold
Victory Performance 2.5 o2 housing with 38mm Tial external dump
Tial 38mm external wastegate
3.0 Dp/Exhaust and magnaflow muffler
SlowBoy Racing GT12 turbo
Eagle Forged Rods
PWR kevlar timing belt

2g MAF w/ K&N
Dejon Tool turbo intake w/ BOV recirculate
Removed All Emission
Crushed 1g BOV
Walbro 255 pump Rewired
SX/BR Adj Fuel Pressure Reg.(39psi base)
Denso 660 Injectors ( Just cleaned by Cruzin performance)
ACT 2600 w/ street disc
XACT lightened flywheel
3speed Scatter shield
Accel Wires
NGK plugs
31.5x8x3 Precision I/C with 2.5 pipes

-Electronics-
Apexi SAFC 2 (Black Face)
TMO logging software
Keydiver Stage 3 chip ( Injector and Maf Compensation)

mistaVR4

Hksvr4

Im running the magnus manifold and it rocks. Look in the memebers ride for mods. Your gonna need new upper intercooler pipe, relocate the coil and transister pack. It bolts up to the factor TB. The car pulls harder up top and better spool up.

VR4coop

After doing some research and looking at the data. I think im going to wait on the manifold for now. maybe next year!. Thanx though guys

Quote:
Im running the magnus manifold and it rocks. Look in the memebers ride for mods. Your gonna need new upper intercooler pipe, relocate the coil and transister pack. It bolts up to the factor TB. The car pulls harder up top and better spool up.

where is 'up top' according to that shootout it doesn't start improvement over stock untill ~6k and you are giving up quite a bit on the pre ~6k range.

Hksvr4

From personal experience and every car is different. The manifold pulls harder after 5500, that's before the FP2's. With the FP2's it pulls even harder at around the same rpm range.

I'm running a FRH manifold on my Talon, I noticed a differience in the upper RPM range, not a huge improvement over stock, but once I installed the HKS 272 Cams I noticed a huge gain in upper RPM response. If I had to do it again I would of gone with a BJ's but it really isn't a worth while mod until your pushing over 350 to the wheels, the stock manifold is good enough to run 11's with.

Quote:
May i suggest a stock "Extrude Honed" manifold.
Does wonders.

I'm going to take that one step further, a cyclone extrude honed with Keydiver's chip should get you everything you need & nothing you don't.

464/2K

dont forget jon's(jonvr4) performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

number3

Quote:
Quote:
Does wonders.

I'm going to take that one step further, a cyclone extrude honed with Keydiver's chip should get you everything you need & nothing you don't.

FWIW.

I put down 470 @ 28psi with the Extrude honed US intake that I have had forever.

Nate put on a Cyclone intake and dynoed his car and lost roughly 60-80 hp. His setup is pretty close to mine. He put the EVO intake back on. (The EVO intake is very simular to the US intake.)

Polish

Was his Evo intake Extrude Honed?

MMorgan

Quote:
Quote:
Does wonders.

I remember talking to someone with an extrude honed cyclone manifold when I was in florida over the summer but I don't know if they ever put it on. Maybe they can add something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
I'm going to say cams too. The top end I picked up with a port job, Ferrea valves (oversize exhaust), and a set of 264's was nothing short of amazing. My motor was done by 7200 and with the fresh head it pulls to 8000 in first and at least 7800 in second. Then the injectors aren't enough and it starts knocking. All of that will be fixed soon though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

John

Quote:

You must use the word performance more loosely than I.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does wonders.

FWIW.

I put down 470 @ 28psi with the Extrude honed US intake that I have had forever.

Nate put on a Cyclone intake and dynoed his car and lost roughly 60-80 hp. His setup is pretty close to mine. He put the EVO intake back on. (The EVO intake is very simular to the US intake.)

Good to know #1, I mean #3. However, the kick in the pants is the 'K' man's chip. As I recall, 30% increase in torque down low with a loss of 1% hp up top. Every setup is different. You've had actual real world experience, I'm going by what I read.

Quote:
Quote:

You must use the word performance more loosely than I.

I suppose you are implying that you are some sort of master fabricator? Good luck trying to sell that idea to everyone here.

Quote:

I suppose you are implying that you are some sort of master fabricator? Good luck trying to sell that idea to everyone here.

I said nothing of the sort. My work speaks for itself and I am not trying to sell an intake manifold. Look at the comments above from ANOTHER PERSON about YOUR WORK which I have heard from other people as well and seen in person.

I put my work up for public comment and criticism not only on this board but on several other large car and fab boards. Constructive criticism is the only way to improve as well as innovation. I'm not here to sling insults and be rude (hence the smiley on my comment) but if you want to do that let's do it in another thread.

EDIT: Apparently that comment was removed when you posted but basicly described several issue with the manifold you produced and sold. AND I'm an idiot and did not put a smiley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
Apparently that comment was removed when you posted but basicly described several issue with the manifold you produced and sold.

I never seen the comment, so I have no way to know what was said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts