The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

part numbers for EVO shift forks

As usual I find the answers to my questions after I've made a post about it. So, if anybody wants to know, the part numbers for the EVO shift forks are:

MD749745 1-2 fork
MD749755 3-4 fork

Now for another question. There has been some debate about whether these forks are any good. Several people at NABR discourage them, but these guys are also into hardcore racing. Since I'm not racing or beating on my car I doubt I need to worry about them, but I'm interested to hear from those who have them in their trans. How long have you had them? Do you drive it hard/race? Have any problems to report?

The forks themselves are stronger since they are steel instead of aluminium. The debate seems to be about the nylon wear pads. The stock DSM forks have nylon wear pads too (I'm mostly sure) so I guess they can't be any worse then stock forks as far as the wear pad is concerned. But like I said, the guys doing the debating are into hardcore racing so I can see how they might tear through the nylon pads. I'm not worried about it, and will be buying the EVO forks for my rebuild, but I was curious about the experiences of others.

turbowop

Stock forks should work fine without breaking on a good shifting tranny. They break when people try to slam into a gear with worn synchros or other problems and the tranny doesn't want to let said gear engage.

The factory aluminum forks don't have any kind of wear pads. Also, the stock DSM/GVR4 fifth/reverse fork is steel and has no wear pads, but that's probably because Mitsu didn't expect people to be shifting into fifth or reverse as much as 1-2/2-3/3-4. It's probably steel because of worry from people trying to engage reverse roughly during times that it doesn't want to go in.

FWIW, I just rebuilt my tranny and used new factory aluminum forks. I also race my car a lot. I think they'll hold up just fine.

cheekychimp

I was told the shift forks out of the RS GVR4 tranny that TRE is currently working on for me has BRONZE wear pads.

That is a TRE modification. There have been issues with the set screws they install the bronze pads falling out and the pads coming off (broken teeth). I have a set of stock evo forks(nylon pads) in the tranny in my car now it works great. I will probably not get another set. I origionally built this box to rally with, hopefully it will meet that task.

If your lucky enough to get an evolution galant gearbox
they didnot have the wear pads they are a solid steel version of the stock alluminuim.
But they were superseded to the rubber pad type later evo 1,2,3.

GVR-4

Quote:
That is a TRE modification. There have been issues with the set screws they install the bronze pads falling out and the pads coming off (broken teeth). I have a set of stock evo forks(nylon pads) in the tranny in my car now it works great. I will probably not get another set. I origionally built this box to rally with, hopefully it will meet that task.

I have the TRE shift forks and it looked to me like they silver soldered the pads onto the fork.

spooling92vr4

Quote:
Stock forks should work fine without breaking on a good shifting tranny. They break when people try to slam into a gear with worn synchros or other problems and the tranny doesn't want to let said gear engage.

The factory aluminum forks don't have any kind of wear pads. Also, the stock DSM/GVR4 fifth/reverse fork is steel and has no wear pads, but that's probably because Mitsu didn't expect people to be shifting into fifth or reverse as much as 1-2/2-3/3-4. It's probably steel because of worry from people trying to engage reverse roughly during times that it doesn't want to go in.

FWIW, I just rebuilt my tranny and used new factory aluminum forks. I also race my car a lot. I think they'll hold up just fine.

i agree... i know a few people that have gone real good times with stock forks.. just buy new stock forks

I busted 2 shift forks in 2 differient Transmissions in less then 4 months. I would get steel forks if your going to be drag racing a lot.

NZ VR4 RS

here are the shifter forks out of a vr4 rs evolution, they had done around 120 000 kms

dont know much about them just that they are steel and dont appear to have any pads.

had the pics so i thought i would post them up

here is the rest of the box in bits

http://www.vr4.co.nz/gearbox.html

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts