The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 Tranny rebuild. Difficult?

I'd like to tackle the job for rebuilding my gvr4 tranny myself but i had a few questions if anyone out there can help me. I had the transmission rebuilt by a friend, and it's starting to grind again. However the parts he put in were a mix of tre and evo parts. The questions im posing are these:

1. Are there part numbers on all the synchros and shift forks.

2. What specialty tools will i need.

Thanks
scott
GVR4#581

spoulson

I'm about to do the same thing myself. I bought my parts from TRE. Jon recommended all the parts I bought, plus I got the double synchro 2nd.

I do know you will need a shop press, snap ring pliers, and god knows what else. I'll know when I start digging into it. You will definitely need the FSM to guide your rebuild as it will have all the endplay specs and assembly diagrams.

Romanova

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
I'm about to do the same thing myself. I bought my parts from TRE. Jon recommended all the parts I bought, plus I got the double synchro 2nd.
How much did all the parts set you back?

atsiauto

yeah lets get a list going Id like to rebuild mine as well . and Im not scurred.

spoulson

quote:Originally posted by Romanova:
How much did all the parts set you back? About $600 with the double synchro 2nd, and probably about $350 without the upgrade. This includes synchro rings, 1/2 and 3/4 shift forks, hub springs, bearings, oil filter, magnet, pins, and some other parts I'm not fully educated on. I did not get spacers or shims. The upgraded 2nd includes a new hub, slider, double synchro and 2nd gear assembly, which is why it costs so much.

My 2nd gear is probably toast anyway, so I didn't see the waste in replacing it.

GVR-4

What perfect timing! I'm gonna rebuild mine soon too. I've started doing the research to decide on upgrades. I plan on taking mine out and putting a friends spare tranny in for now. Then I can take my time rebuilding mine. So far I want to do a new input shaft, double synchros for 1st thru 4th, 1/2 & 3/4 shift forks, HD shift rails (or possibly just the ends), 10% taller 5th gear and the HD trash magnet. I'm undecided on what to do about the center diff and the 4 spider gear upgrade. I'd like a Quaife, but they're pricey. Eventually I plan on building up a stroker and I want the tranny to be able to handle the torque.

I hope we can help each other on our respective rebuilds. It's always good to have a pool of information. A dedicated thread would be awesome (hint hint).

Dave Peter

I dont think you can double synchro 1,2,3, and 4. There is only room for double synchros on 2 and 3 since they are on different hubs. TRE does 1,2, and 3 with a little machine work. I also have some part numbers that apply for this rebuild:

MD739795 1992 3-4 Rail
MD742728 1992 3rd Gear
MD742729 1992 4th Gear
MD742777 3-4 Synchro Keys
MD747646 1992 3-4 Hub/Sleeve/Synchro Kit
MD741558 1992 3-4 Fork
MD723439 1998 1-2 Fork
MD726235 Taper Bearing, Input Shaft Endcap Side
MD737652 Needle Bearing, Interm Shaft
MD745477 1998 1st Synchro
MD746435 1998 2nd Dual Synchros -- $66
MD748577 1998 2nd Gear
MD749414 1998 1-2 Hub/Sleeve
MD736638 1992 Taper Bearing, Interm Shaft Endcap Side
MD726326 1992 Taper Bearing, Interm Shaft Clutch side
MD738053 2G Trans Filter
MD742051 1992 Reverse Brake Synchro
MD732314 1992 Taper Bearing, Input Shaft Clutch Side
MD742775 1998 1-2 Synchro Keys
MD742445 1998 1-2 Synchro Springs
MD742441 1992 3-4 Synchro Springs
MD701722 Roll Pins

That list was posted a while bak on here (sorry I forgot who posted it). notice the various years of the parts. I have NOT checked the accuracy of the list or part numbers.

GVR-4

Yeah, all I've done so far is reading, so I don't know if 1-4 double synchros are possible. TRE lists them as options on their website, but maybe not all in combination with one another. I could live with 1-3 double synchros.

Thanks for the parts list slvrblt. Are those all available through the dealer?

dp

spoulson

TRE is the only dealer I know of that will sell you just the parts for double synchro modifications. BM and Shepard will only these parts as part of a rebuild job.

I've talked with Jon about the synchros and he really believes there's no reason to overdo the double synchros by trying to put it on every gear. Are you shifting at 8500rpm in every gear? 2nd gear takes the most abuse in our trannies, so I got it for that one. It's also extremely cost prohibitive to get the additional double-synchro gears.

4-spider center diff is an excellent upgrade for durability. If you're going to make decent power, it'll be a tranny saver one day. If I can spare the cash, I'll be doing it, too. Send it out to TRE, Shepard, or BM for the upgrade, they all charge the same rate. I don't see a reason to go with an LSD center.

GVR-4

Thanks for the input, Shawn.

Please keep it coming everyone.

dp

turboflanagan

quote:Originally posted by spoulson:
You will definitely need the FSM to guide your rebuild as it will have all the endplay specs and assembly diagrams. You need the overhaul manual. Rebuild info isn't in either body or mechanical FSM. I just printed the info from my backup cd manual.

The biggest pain for me was the fact that my local Mitsu place doesn't stock ANYTHING!!! And all the spacers and shims had to be ordered. Don't use soldier like the manual says! Use plastigage.

Arty

You'll need a 3/16 pin punch to remove the roll pins. Best to have a puller with 2mm thick hooks in case 5th gear is jammed on tight. If you want to remove all the taper bearing races you'll need a puller with thin hooks facing outwards that can fit between the bottom of the bearing race and the gearbox casing.
Long socket to use as a drift, can't remember the size 36mm I think, to remove the drive shaft seal.

John.

spoulson

Could you use a press for gear and bearing removal, too? I don't think Andre's VFAQ showed any gear pullers for his job.

Arty

You do need a press and the appropriate sized bearing separators to disassemble the gears and bearings from the shafts.
Dre's VFAQ is the most useful resource I've found.
You need the puller if the 5th gear is stuck on the shaft, as mine was.
The 5th gear pictured in the VFAQ is installed upside down though.When I used screwdrivers to try and lever off the 5th gear, I chipped the corners of its teeth. Then I realised that the 2.5mm groove around the top of the gear is there to attach a puller.

John.

turboflanagan

quote:Originally posted by Arty:
You do need a press and the appropriate sized bearing separators to disassemble the gears and bearings from the shafts.
The 5th gear pictured in the VFAQ is installed upside down though.When I used screwdrivers to try and lever off the 5th gear, I chipped the corners of its teeth. Then I realised that the 2.5mm groove around the top of the gear is there to attach a puller.

John.
Yep, yep, and yep. Chipped my teeth too. Don't want to think about how long I cussed that oops. Didn't have a puller that would fit in that groove.

ken inn

quote:Originally posted by turboflanagan:
quote:Originally posted by Arty:

John.
Yep, yep, and yep. Chipped my teeth too. Don't want to think about how long I cussed that oops. Didn't have a puller that would fit in that groove.
blondes HATE vibrators. it chips their teeth.

turboflanagan

mad.gif
tongue.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I did mine with some help from TRE and some usage of the dealers tools, and it was one of the most complicated jobs I have ever done. I hope not to have to do it again. I replaced every synchro and bearing plus two gears doing mine. Also two shift forks.

If you have someone with experience to help you, or have done another tranny before, that helps.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts