The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Three Speed scatter shield install

number3

Meshwork stopped over and we installed his Three Speed stainless steel scattershield at the shop. Here are the basic steps.

Before...

Massage the water pipe slightly...

Fits like a glove...

After...

One last thing...

I still need to order mine. Is the install pretty simple? Remove trans bolts, slide out trans 3/8" or so, place it in, bolt it back up?

Quote:
This does what?

Imagine your flywheel exploding/shattering into many large very fast moving pieces and quite literally cutting the front end of your car in half. This prevents the carnage should your flywheel/clutch come apart.

What sjg said plus keeps you alive and with all your limbs. Exploding flywheel bits destroy ALL in their path.

JNR

Hey Harry,

Do you ever do a group buy on these things or anything like that? Just wondering; I really should get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think it's a good safety item to have on any high-performance manual-trans. application and yours looks pretty good...

Thanks,

Quote:
This does what?

What sjg and Chris said +2
This is why you want that Shield. It is a Safety measure that could possibly save your life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

gallant_hood_before.jpg

Check out the Video and other pictures. http://www.mightymouseracer.com/gallant.html Thats Bruce Kwartler's Galant at New England Dragway

Harry, you should make a How-To with the install of Meshwork's Scatter-Shield.

Last edited by a moderator:

number3

Quote:
I still need to order mine. Is the install pretty simple? Remove trans bolts, slide out trans 3/8" or so, place it in, bolt it back up?

You remove as much things from the work space as possible.

It is easier if you drain the coolant and remove the lower coolant hose but I never do and work around it. (can be a pain if you don't have a second pair of hands)

Disconnect the shifter cables (easy) unbolt the top portion of the shifter cable bracket (easy)

You only remove 3 bellhousing/engine block bolts and you don't move the the transmission at all.

You will need to remove the little strap around the small water pipe on the side of the block and toss it. It slips off not cutting needed. (easy)

Pull up on the small water pipe and use a prybar (similar) to massage the soft alum. water pipe a way from bellhousing to make space for the shield. Be careful not to got nuts and create a leak. I have run into car that needed not massage and cars that needed a health dose but trust me if you are careful it will fit like a glove under the pipe.

Put the Three Speed shield in by install it by slipping the shield under the lower coolant hose and work you way back to the starter. It fit only one way. Once you wiggle it and find the sweet spot it will slide (pop) right on.

Put all the bolts in loose from rear (use included hardware for the rear bolt) to front and once they are all in go ahead and tighten them up.
Don't forget the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's it.

I don't run group buys BUT I currently have a special running for a limited time. Free shipping and ThreeSpeed T shirt with your order ($30.00 value).

PM me for details.

number3

Here are pictures of the shield and on other cars. I have been making them since 1999.

Why?

I also make the 360 1G AWD model that cover the entire bellhousing. These are made to order. (1G FWD, 2G AWD/FWD, and EVO VIII models are also available)

Sorry to turn this into an advert. but I forget that some have never seen my product or the carnage that can happen from a flywheel or pressure plate.

Last edited:

number3

Matticus

Just curious, is there any pictures of how the sheild holds up to an exploding flywheel? The sheild can do nothing but help protect the car and driver. I think it is a great product.

steve

Quote:
Just curious, is there any pictures of how the sheild holds up to an exploding flywheel?

This is exactly what I was gonna ask!

number3

No. There has never been a flywheel/pressure plate that has blown with Three Speed scatter shield, thank God. I would not wish that on anyone. Ask Bruce Kwartler if he likes his?

http://www.mightymouseracer.com

The shield is made of 304 stainless that is 1/4 thick and all the welds needed are Tig welded. The included hardware is grade 8 or better.

This steel is very strong (and expensive) and required tons of pressure to cut, bend, and punch. The shield weighs 7 lbs.

When buying my shield you should buy a sfi flywheel, pressure plate and new flywheel bolts to complete the safety package.

The Three Speed shield was approved for use by IRHA, thanks to New England Dragway (NED) and meets NHRA specs. Sfi has looked at it in the past and liked the design and offered to talk to tracks that were unsure of its quality. (The testing was very expensive.)

There are over 500 Three Speed shield in use today. Many by the fastest guys in the country.

Please read: Racing is dangerous and can be deadly. Use this and all race only products at your own risk!

Once we got the water pipe massaged out of the way it fit perfectly.

BTW, Harry, my friend with the CRX he is building up asked if you were going to branch out and do any B16 SSSS. Apparently they are all the same transmission housing. Something more to think of in addition to the driveshaft loops.

Quote:
No. There has never been a flywheel/pressure plate that has blown with Three Speed scatter shield, thank God. I would not wish that on anyone. Ask Bruce Kwartler if he likes his?

Harry Thats because everyone uses ur Scatter Shield uses aftermarket flywheels.
Did u every hear someone blowing up their aluminum of chromoly flywheel ???
I seen them coming loose but thats about it.
None of us need scatter shields if u have Aftermarket Flywheel unless ur running the numbers.
How can u like something that doesnt work meaning never been tested Come on. Is it all about looks ???

Not Trying to start anything or offend anyone just making few good points.

Last edited by a moderator:

You have a valid point Tommy however we all know there are manufacturing defects once and a while and also it's just insurance. I'd gladly spend $150 to keep my car from looking like Bruce's did on the random chance the flywheel or clutch lets go.

Why put airbags in a car if you aren't sure if they'll ever deploy? Same point, its a safety issue.

BTW, I have an OEM flywheel with 2600 clutch. Over 500 of these sheilds in use, and I'm sure a lot more people have OEM flywheels too.

Quote:
Why put airbags in a car if you aren't sure if they'll ever deploy? Same point, its a safety issue.

BTW, I have an OEM flywheel with 2600 clutch. Over 500 of these sheilds in use, and I'm sure a lot more people have OEM flywheels too.

Yes air bags do deploy and save lives thats a bad Exapmle !!!
You should have spend extra $50 and got urself a nice aftermarket flywheel, which actually will make ur car perform bettet, not look better.

Quote:
This is a matter of adherence to rules as well...

Yes i understand i stated that above in my post, but how many of everyday DSM/GVR4 run 11.49 or better. Of course if it a fast track car than u need one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts