The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Coil over plug is done with pictures

curtis

Ok Buschur sells them. But I build things so thats out.
I have 4 coil over plugs from an Intreped and a aluminum plate already to go.
I have the four plugs and an extra coil wiring harness. I could have this done in about an hour but the wiring is screwing me up and probably because I read to much. Taboo speed shop has an article that explaned the wasted spark set up that our cars have. It talks about the uneven wear that the plugs undergoes because of a dual polarity set up over that of a conventional coil set up. I think this is that part that messes people up when installing these things.

If anyone has a link to wiring up the dodge coil over plugs to a dsm please send it. I've searched and searched and yet to find any good info except people that have given up on the project.

The stock galant set up has three wire a red, a white, and a black with white strip.
The Black with white stripe has 11.9 volts with the switch on and 13.4 at idle .
The red and white has 0 with the switch on and 13.2 at idle when testing on the side of the coils.

I hooked one of the intreped coils up just to test I ran a wire from the battery ground to the bottom of a spark plug and pluged the plug in the coil. I started the car and conected the wires to the coil pigback to the 1/4 coil on the car. By hooking the intreped green wire up to the galant black/white stripe it fired well but when hooking the intreped green to the galant white hardly anything happened.

Well enough rambling on, I just don't want to go through the process and the thing fall on its face at 5 grand. I'll keep you guys informed when its up and running. Thanks Curtis

Last edited:

If I remember right, there's a longer thread on this on DSM Tuners. I was kicking around the idea a little while back, but scrapped it and decided to stick with conventional plug wires.

curtis

Ok the plate is built and the coils are mounted.

The top wires on the intreped coils are all tied to the black with white stripe on the Galant harness and the bottom wires are tied to the red and the white.

Biach want run!!!!
Its poping like its dropping a cylinder and want start.

I tryed reversing the wires on #1 and #3 and it starts but runs like crap.

Maybe it needs the 1/4 and 2/3 tied together for the magnetic field to be right?

Well time to try google.

curtis

Still no luck on researching this cop setup.
Time to shoot myself in the head............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
You'll probably want to tie 1+4/2+3 together as those pistons come up to TDC as pairs in that fashion. Honestly, our stock ignition is pretty damn good so I don't really see the advantage to the COP system. I do see one major disadvantge though. How are you gonna use a timing light now?

John

curtis

I'm keeping the old coils and wires on the valve cover plate I already have so when I need to put the timing light on the car its a ten minute switch.

Still no info found. I've found alot of forums where people say they have it on their cars but no info on how the coils are wired up.

If I don't find something tommorrow I'll carry it and the factory schematic to one of my professors that teaches circuit analysis next week, he'll rag on me and the car will run.

cheekychimp

The guys on the AEM forum were talking about coil on plug using coils from a seadoo. The fit straight down on top of the plugs and allow you to use the original cover. Looks factory. I looked over on the forum for a wiring diagram for you but I couldn't see anything. The really annoying thing is I remember reading about someone who did that and it popped and misfired just like yours. The solution was really simple and I just can't remember or find it ... Damn !!!

You should wire the coils in series(+12V to one side of coil#1, other side of coil#1 to +12V of coil#4, and other side of coil#4 to trigger) the same would apply to coils 2 and 3.

curtis

keep the info coming because when I find out the whole world will know.

What fast GVR4 said i'm sure is all you will need to do. Makes sense to me as we have a waste spark system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif But it will take some time with the wiring diagram to find the coil trigger wire colors, and the hot side of the COP you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
You'll probably want to tie 1+4/2+3 together as those pistons come up to TDC as pairs in that fashion. Honestly, our stock ignition is pretty damn good so I don't really see the advantage to the COP system. I do see one major disadvantge though. How are you gonna use a timing light now?

John

I think wiring these using the factory trigger wires will result in not having a problem with setting the timing. The ECU will still have the same control over the timing, if not it would run like poo.

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Here's what I've figured out so far guys.

From the Galant VR4/DSM
The Black with white strip is the power wire that feeds our coils.
Red is the trigger wire for 1 and 4.
White is the trigger wire 2 and 3.

From the Intreped the top wire is Green and the bottom wire is white with different colored stripes on each one.

From this I figured the Green to be the power wire.

I tested this by hooking a wire from the battery ground to the base of a spark plug and hooking the plug to the wires on one of the coils while the car was running.
With the Green intreped wire to the black with white stripe and the white intrped wire hooked to the Red Galant wire it threw off a nice arc and when switched it looked kind of weak.

I'm wondering if the coils that other people are running will fire no matter how there working or if there like these.

Also the Galant/DSM's have a small black box thingy hooked to the black with white stripe.

Here's the link to Taboo speed shop.
http://www.taboospeedshop.com/ignition.htm

I've got one of my old school supra buddies researcing this thing also. He had a Galant VR4 back in 93/94 with a 150 shot of juice and no upgrades. The motor melted.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I don't know if this will help but here it goes. Do you know that if you hook up an ignition coil backwards it will still work? It won't work great but it will usually get the car to run, poorly, and it will usually take a crap shortly thereafter. Just some info you may not know.

John

curtis

Quote:

Nice picture
Now please find one of the harness before it was taped up.

By the way what coils are those.

Last edited:

curtis

It is done and runs great. The car has never pulled this hard before and is crisp.
I would have never guessed that spark plug wires would have broken down so badly.

The black with white stripe wire (12Volt) on the dsm harness gets split into 2 wires, one going to the green on the intrepid #1 coil and the other to the green on the #3 coil. The white on the #1 intrepid plug goes to the Green on the #4, the white on the #3 goes to the green on the #2. The red galant wire goes to the white on the number 4 and the galant white goes to the white on the #2. Also the little black noise suppressor get tied to the Galant 12volt near the plug.

That all it took. I used alum. spacers to space the coils up so I wouldn't have to cut on the boots. 8 10/32 allen head bolts to bolt it down and the sheet of aluminum.
Since I used Junk yard parts I'm out about 50 dollars total.

atc250r

Staff member
That looks great curtis. I'm glad you got it running. I am tempted to try it but I usually play with my timing whenever I go to the track so I'd have to disconnect it every time.

John

curtis

Thanks to atc250r , fast vr4 , Josh long , pisces and cheekychimp for there contribution to the cause.
I'll draw it up and post it tommorow for all to see.

Last edited:

kartorium

50$ is awesome, nice job curtis. Way to stick it out! I was searching ebay and found probably the same setup going for 250$. Definitely cool to know we can do it ourselves for 50 or so.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts