The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

11/04 Grassroots Motorsports GVR-4 Article

JNR

Edit: hmm, that is weird, the full size doesn't come up for me...if you click on the image and it is still small, right click and 'copy', then paste into a graphics program and zoom in...nevermind, my browser has this button you have to press to expand it

Well guys, I scanned in the magazine article for the Galant VR-4's that appeared in the November 2004 issue of Grassroots Magazine; I hope it is OK to publish this material, but if not please delete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here it is:

Is that Terren's car? Sweet. I'm gonna go pick up a coupla copies of that.

nevermind, I'm an idiot.

hitwithrock.gif

im sure this is great for resale value, but IM NOT SELLING. The more of these articles pop up, the more i am inclined to slap on base model body panels and debadge to get some of that sleeper feeling back.

I cant find the damn magazine ANYWHERE! Im not subscribed so I guess I have to wait till next week or so..

Those pics were taken at a canyon in Escondido w/ the photographer at ~6am or so.

JNR

Have you tried a good book store? I know Barnes and Noble (for example) carries all kinds of different magazines, but not sure if this one...I had sent for a free issue about a month ago and luckily this is the one that came...I quickly looked for it at the store, but they didn't carry it...

Ya, I tried barnes and noble, vons, sav-on, albertsons, wal-mart, every gas station I could find, 7-11, target.. Im still looking.

Just got back last nite from Calgary and the issue was waiting in the mail. Sat down and read it on the spot. I thought it was fairly accurate and balanced. It might stimulate a few impulse buys but will probably not have a huge effect on resale values more than a month from now.
Mike R.

Aside from the few times they mentioned the USDM hood being vented and the JDM one being non=vented, I think it was a good article. I didn't like how they had a whole page of stuff that could go wrong on them or problems that they are known for.

Quote:
Aside from the few times they mentioned the USDM hood being vented and the JDM one being non=vented, I think it was a good article. I didn't like how they had a whole page of stuff that could go wrong on them or problems that they are known for.

Thats probably for potential buyers to see what kind of problems the ride they're looking at getting could have.

I'd actually prefer if everyone knew upfront that these cars are a little higher maintenance. I'm getting REALLY sick of the posts on here that say "I'm going back to my Civic because it ain't broke down all the time". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Although these cars are absolutely unique, well built, and CAN be a reliable daily driver, people need to understand that that is NOT what they were built for, and they should actually be classified as a "hobby", not "tranportation". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thompstone

I just love how at various times magazines do articles on our cars. I just shows how great they really are.

Quote:
I'd actually prefer if everyone knew upfront that these cars are a little higher maintenance. I'm getting REALLY sick of the posts on here that say "I'm going back to my Civic because it ain't broke down all the time". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Although these cars are absolutely unique, well built, and CAN be a reliable daily driver, people need to understand that that is NOT what they were built for, and they should actually be classified as a "hobby", not "tranportation". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I absolutely disagree. How many comparable domestic cars (or even early 90's foreign) do you see with 100+k miles that are still reliable ? How many of them are actually fun to drive ? The ONLY reason dsm's/gvr4's are high maintenance is the desire of people to keep them around well after 10 years and well over 100k miles of abuse.

ANY car with such a track record will require the same basic maintenance as ours, and many would need more. Engines are pretty much bulletproof, who here hasn't seen boost spikes into the upper 20's because something went wrong,or hell wvwn run it daily on stock internals or tons of knock and decided to floor it a few more times on your way home just to beat someone else.

202k miles and running strong. its amazing how much simple things like fluid changes, engine flush, belts/hoses, etc,PROPER TUNING (reliable power vs as much power as possible) basic/cheap upkeeping can add to the life of your car.

A) I only said "a little higher maintenance".
B) I never said anything about comparing it to a domestic car. I'm tired of guys comparing it to their Honda Civic. If you can tell me how you can add AWD, 4WS, 4 wheel discs, and double the horsepower without it being a "little more maintenance" than a Honda, I'd sure like to know.
I think you need to reread my post. I never said our cars aren't reliable. Hang, I bought a second one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'm just saying that people are entitled to know what they're in for, especially, as you noted, when the cars are 12-13 years old now. Not "ANY car" requires a timing belt change by 60K, oil changes every 5K, maintenance of 8 CV joints and their boots, servicing of 3 differentials, new synchros every ?K, etc.

JNR

Yeah, every car has their own 'personality quirks', that are somewhat common on the entire line...ANY car (domestic or import) can and does last a long, happy life with proper care and maintenance...they are simply machines and occasionally need wearable items (covers almost anything at one point or another) replaced/rebuilt, etc...There are lemons and exceptions on a car-by-car basis, but I'm speaking in generic terms...I think ANY car is an amazing piece of engineering and [mass-produced] manufactured product, considering the range of conditions and people it must endure...

I agree about the Honda thing...I think too many people take biased magazines, such as Consumer Reports, as gospel and believe what they are told, without finding out for themselves...They are good cars, no doubt, but not the be all to end all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've owned several domestics, ranging from the early 70's to early 00's and none of them have given me problems, as I a) found a clean, well-taken care of or new and b) took care and performed maintenance on them...heck, when I first started driving it amazes me to think about what they went thru, considering my ignorance of the subject, compared to now...this is my first import (sans the MPV I bought my wife) and so far I am pleased with Mitsubishi's engineering and workmanship...heck, just about any car made in the early 90's is gonna be about the same....people are stuck on the days of mid-70's crap cars, which gave (some) domestics a bad name...however, I don't see too many imports on the road from that era; even getting into the 80's, for that matter...Needless to say, I feel that is a silly thing, to say Brand X or American or German or Japanese cars are better, worse, indifferent (again, speaking in generic terms)...

Back to the article...if you read thru the rest of GRM, this is their style..they are trying to give the readers an unbiased, objective 'report' on a line of vehicles and trying to give the reader a good sense of what to expect when looking for one of these (or X brand)...I think it's good info to at least start with...'course, we know the forums are a great way to find out about a particular vehicle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think all sources should be used and weighed out accordingly though, when it's time to research and decide...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts