The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How do you shave the rear decals without hurting the paint???

I think that look is awesome. How do you get the decals off without hurting anything?? Anyone done this??

Tom

I used glue-be-gone, I think that's the name, or something similar, to take off all the badges,
including the one on the dash .. it worked well
and no scratches on the paint ... although you can see the slight outline of the trunk badge
when you look up close

Yao

Take a Hair dryer and pick the hottest day to park the car under the sun, then go out there with a strong L shaped pick, and pull at the edge of the badge without touching the paint. It might take a couple of try, but chances are with our cars 10+ years the glue should loosen up.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I used a plastic shaping tool like comes with Bondo to cut the tape, and then removed the residue with solvent and elbow grease.

Matticus

I have used fishing line to get behind the badges and sort of saw them off. It can leave some glue behind, but that can come off pretty easy.

I went behind mine with a razor blade and then used some orange cleaner to remove the left over adhesive. I would probably go with a different method though... I'm getting the car repainted in a couple months so I wasn't all that worried about scraping paint.

I've got pictures if you want.

4orced4door

How bad of a "tan line" does it leave, taking the badges off an 11 year old car? I might just wait until I get my JDM bumpers and have it repainted.

took my badges off and you can only tell if you really look at the trunk lid closely, I'd take a pic, but it prolly wouldn't show up ... the "tan lines" that is

when you are all done, its a good idea to go over the area with a polishing compoound, or anything that "restores" paint finish. what they do is lighly sand off the surface of the paint which removes the layer with the grime/adhesive. it should look brand new after that.

if you were 18 and just got a gvr4 for the first time, you'd prolly have enough time on your hands to do the entire car, and would get the "showroom" effect. (get some clay bars)

4orced4door

quote:Originally posted by VTGVR4:
when you are all done, its a good idea to go over the area with a polishing compoound, or anything that "restores" paint finish. what they do is lighly sand off the surface of the paint which removes the layer with the grime/adhesive. it should look brand new after that.

if you were 18 and just got a gvr4 for the first time, you'd prolly have enough time on your hands to do the entire car, and would get the "showroom" effect. (get some clay bars)
I'm 18 and I barely have enough time to keep it washed, much less polish the whole thing.
wink.gif

i have a steamer at work that i use. works great with no risk of burning the paint. as the water condenses it helps to lubricate the surface for scraping. follow with a plastic razor blade. then a sticker wheel from 3m mounted to a low speed die grinder to take off the rest of the adhesive. if used properly this combo will get rid of the most stubborn decals and stickers. i know this thread is old but i figured id throw it out there.

CP

FWIW, when I removed mine there was no paint to strip from behind the badges because it was already gone! The 14 year old factory foam tape must have eaten through the clearcoat and paint right down to the bare metal of the trunklid.

I used denatured alchahol and a non-marring tool. Took about a half hour. You could still see where they were from the clear coat, but only up close.

I used a screwdriver to take off the decals and a polishing wheel on a drill to LIGHTLY "attack" the goo. Looks GREAT!

I used an old credit card to peel away the decals, and the pin striping. Then Goo Gone and a little more scraping with the credit card took the rest of the residue off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned