The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Identify/differences between 3-bolt and 4-bolt

JNR

I was wondering how easy it was to identify what rear diff is installed in the vehicle? I am not sure if mine is the stocker, or if he changed it to a LSD or a 4-bolt, etc...the 4ws is still intact, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose...

I see a 3 digit code on the diff and will get that info a little later (can't recall right now) and wonder if that means anything, to identify...

So, what exactly does 3-bolt or 4-bolt refer to, anyway? The physical mounting, or something internal...

I did a quick search, but was hard to narrow down these questions...Thanks!

MMorgan

4bolt-004.jpg

4bolt-005.jpg

you can tell by looking at the axle cups which is a 4 bolt(it has 4 bolts) or a 3 bolt(it has 3 bolts)

There is a VFAQ written on the swap that could tell you some info:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/4bolt.html

I just put in '4bolt' as the search keyword and came up with 112 results, I find it very hard to believe you cant find your answer in any of those very informative posts.

sleepyvr4

the 4-bolt lsd diff will have a sticker on it that says "lsd viscous" and some numbers. I didn't see it on mine until I pressure washed it, as they can get pretty crusty.

JNR

I did do a search, but I was looking more for what the codes mean and possibly if someone had a pic of the different ones...I suppose they may have been within one of the many results, but the titles do not make it seem so...Even so, it helps others to bring up a previously discussed topic if it's old, as they may not have thought about looking for such info...throwing around "3-bolt" and 4-bolt" is neat for those who are aware, but I like to know what certain terms mean, if I'm gonna talk about something...

Thanks for the info, guys...it's obvious how and why the 4-bolt is stronger (beside the number of bolts) and desirable and now I can visualize it...

I mainly want to see if mine was the unit that came with the vehicle and if not, what it was...the previous owner is kind of a flake, so I am on my own and with the help of the forum
smile.gif

I looked and I have the 3-bolt and code 'B2B'...so, chances are this is the stock unit...

MMorgan

I read somewhere that if it is LSD, there will be a warning label on it. I think there should also be a ratio # somewhere on the differential case. I'm not sure but I think it is supposed to say 3.55 if it is a 4 bolt. Might want to double check, thats from my memory which is weak.

MMorgan

i rounded up

MMorgan

sorry, i meant i rounded up to the nearest hundreth

boostx

quote:Originally posted by sleepyvr4:
the 4-bolt lsd diff will have a sticker on it that says "lsd viscous" and some numbers. I didn't see it on mine until I pressure washed it, as they can get pretty crusty. where was the sticker on the rear

cheekychimp

OK,
Here is a question for the experts

I intend to do a four bolt swap, but whilst I am at it I've decided to do some rebuilding. I see the driveshaftshop (.com) do high performance axles. Now if I buy two new axles and put a Kaaz LSD in my rear diff case, apart from the 4 bolt axle cups, is there going to be anything else I need?

RRE mentions the need to buy two new joints in order to bolt up the Kaaz diff but I can't figure out where these go.

Paul.

They are the inner pair of axle joints. You cannot use stock DSM ones with the Kaaz.
Mike R.

cheekychimp

Mike,
Since you have done this, would you mind casting your mind back and see if you can remember the following :-

If I buy :-

Kaaz Rear Diff
Two new high performance axles
Those two (massively expensive) inner joints

Apart from the 4 bolt axle cups, is there anything else I would be missing?

Paul.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned