The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1991 gvr4 ABS stuff, please add to this...

blacksheep

1) ABS computer in the trunk (near antenna)
2) ABS sensor under center console (near the shifter)
3) ABS unit under the hood
4) ABS wheel sensors
5) Pull the fuses from the engine bay (Thanks, Hertz)
6) There's also a relay on the driver's side behind the panel below the hood release (thanks, dsmsleeper)

Making a list of things I plan on pulling out...

Things I will need:

1)Actually, 92 AWD DSM's came with the smaller brakes. You'll need the 93-94 AWD, non-ABS valve.
(thanks, Jon - JoeC)
2)The Galant GSX front brake lines work perfectly under the hood. The rear ones do not need to be changed. You will not be able to find these new so you will have to find them in a yard.(Thanks, Jon)

Lets keep this post simple, no big discussions on proportioning valves and if ABS is good or bad, yadda yadda yadda. This is for archiving purposes.

There is some sort of sensor on the left corner of the trunk..is this ABS or fuel related? Not quite sure what this thing is...

Thanks!

No new brake lines needed. Cut and flare the line that comes from the front passenger side right where it goes next to the prop valve. Thats where you'll connect it. For the driver's side, take the line thats connected to the caliper and bend it away from the ABS module, towards the master cylinder. You can carefully do all the bending by hand.

What I suggest you do is get a prop valve and the two brake lines that connect it to the MC, from a parts or junk car.

Mark

Hertz

Staff member
Doesn't the ABS have some type of stepper motor? Is that your unidentified thing in the trunk?

If you want to go to the extreme you could remove the rear sensor gears from the shafts. Don’t know about the fronts. You might have put that under wheel sensors though.

Hertz

Staff member
Remove the bulb from the cluster. (Add that to your list KC, will save you about 5g)

blacksheep

Thanks all, I will post pics.

Pivvay - I will post pics this weekend as I dont have time during the week to do this. I planned on making seat measurements as well.

thanks KC. I have seat measurements as well so i'd like to compare them. I'm not sure my car is "correct" since it was in an accident.

There is some sort of sensor on the left corner of the trunk..is this ABS or fuel related? Not quite sure what this thing is...

1991 AWD/ABS galants had 2 G-sensors:1 under center console and 1 in the trunk.
1992 AWD/ABS galants have just 1 under center console.

Another difference between 91 and 92 to add

blacksheep

Thanks, Cruce! I shall pull that sucka out as well...

One concern, Pulling this stuff out shouldnt affect the datalogger should it ?
idea.gif

There's also a relay on the driver's side behind the panel below the hood release.

Jon

Staff member
* Use a prop valve from a 92-94 Eclipse GSX as it is came with big brakes.
* The Galant GSX front brake lines work perfectly under the hood. The rear ones do not need to be changed. You will not be able to find these new so you will have to find them in a yard.

blacksheep

quote: If you want to go to the extreme you could remove the rear sensor gears from the shafts. Don’t know about the fronts. You might have put that under wheel sensors though.
Ryan - Since I dunno much, is this something in the rear diff (you mention Shafts)
confused.gif

GVR-4

I think he means the "gear" that the wheel sensor reads to determine the wheel speed. I think it can be pulled off the hub (or whatever it's pressed onto).

joec

quote:Originally posted by blacksheep:

1)Use a prop valve from a 92-94 Eclipse GSX as it is came with big brakes. (thanks, Jon)
Actually, 92 AWD DSM's came with the smaller brakes. You'll need the 93-94 AWD, non-ABS valve.

Once power via fuse is removed, the ABS light shouldn't light. I removed my fuses long before I ever removed the actual ABS. I also disconnected all the plugs at the ABS pump.

I used a prop valve from a 92 AWD TEL. You can use pretty much any non abs prop valve and it'll be better than stock. Get the two brake lines that go with from it to the MC from the same car. If you really want to change out front brake lines (going to calipers), go for it, but its a waste of time...

Mark

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts