The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A drop-in aftermarket radiator that actually drops right in...

Expensive at $499 but the C&R aluminum radiator, available from DSMParts among other places, does drop right in. The price does include a pre-installed SPAL fan and the quality of the radiator, the welding, and the silver anodized finish on the tanks is first rate. Even comes with a GReddy pressure cap.

Couple of minor complaints: The inlet, outlet, and overflow fittings are all smaller diameter than the oem unit so you have to crank the hose clamps down pretty good. Also the electrical connector on the fan is NOT plug and play. Because of that I went ahead and mounted the voltage balast onto the SPAL even though I wasn't sure it would be needed. But two butt-connectors and about 10 minutes was all it took to wire the fan.

I had the smaller inlet/outlet pipes problem on my C&R rad . I emailed them and they told me they'd fix it on their master template. That was over two years ago. You should complain to them and maybe they'll learn.

quote:Originally posted by Lucky13:
The Modine radiator is drop in. Like 50-60 bucks from Napa. $50-60?? I'd like to see that.

Also, the Modine is not "aftermarket" in the sense that he's talking about here, it's a OEM style replacement. I think we're talking all-aluminum, thicker core, TIG welded seams, better cooling.

The Modine radiator for 92 Galants lists for $177 on the NAPA web site. Hardly "50 or 60 bucks".

You can get a pretty nice oem replacement from Radiator Express for $115. And, yes, the C&R radiator IS a little nicer and more effective than the oem radiator. (Plus you get the fan and a cool SPAL sticker pre-installed on the upper tank
grin.gif
)

Pics this weekend, Dan.

quote:Originally posted by bob in chicago:
I had the smaller inlet/outlet pipes problem on my C&R rad . I emailed them and they told me they'd fix it on their master template. That was over two years ago. You should complain to them and maybe they'll learn. Thats almost funny. But also pretty typical. Guess somebody dropped the ball. I will send them an angry email.

I bought the CSF OEM replacement radiator in a group buy that went down last year. If my memory serves me right I payed $109 shipped.

It has the same demensions as stock, but all metal, not plastic endtanks.

The only difference (read annoyance) was two accessory inlet/outlets at the bottom of the tank that needed to be capped. $5 at Napa with rubber caps and clamps and your done.

Otherwise it falls right in.

I think it was www.radiator.com we bought them through?

Just check that they're selling the CSF. I think they sell Modine as well which others have listed positive remarks about in the past. I've never dealt with a Modine personally.

Happy shopping,

The car I bought has one. I believe it was used as the template for the C&R Racing one in fact. It's a truly amazing core. I'll get pics of it tomorrow =)

Sorry, the pics will probibly come Monday, or in 2 weekends =(. It is an amazing piece of work. VERY light, very sturdy, all around awesome =)

Here's pics of the C&R as promised. Sorry...didn't think to get any before it was installed so you can't see much what with the AC condenser in the way and all.

28824366-344c-01E00280-.jpg

As you can see in the next pic, the hose is pinched pretty badly due to the smaller inlet/outlet fittings on the radiator. (Anybody who can suggest a better fix?)
28824367-c33c-01E00280-.jpg

Looks great! For that hose, you could try to find a Fernco type coupler/reducer that would fit the radiator fitting, and then just stick like an inch of pipe in the end of the radiator hose and the coupler, and throw two hose clamps on it and your done. Just a thought. Oh, and why did you get an aftermarket puller fan, in the stock location? Wouldn't two pusher fans have worked better, plus given you more room underhood?

The fan comes pre-installed with the radiator. It is not an option.

Also it may fit better with my FMIC than a pusher would. The fmic "kit" included two slimline fans. But since the "kit" did not include instructions and since the fans are reversable, I'm not sure yet if they would fit on the front side of the cooling systems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned