The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to reduce weight

what do u guys do to reduce weight on galants? i want to reduce weight of my 3100+lbs galant gsr. And where to get cheap intercooler pipes, cause i need some. thanks

dave brode is making intercooler piping, see the parts for sale section ...and I think pivey on this site had a whole list of weight loss items... I bet if you do a search it'll come up

a_santos

You can start by replacing the front seats with lightweight racing seats. A good 30lbs can be saved per seat. Then you can remove the AC and switch to a manual steering rack. After that you can strip all of the sound deadning material. Then if you want you can also remove the 4ws system. If you are still not satisfied, you can get a lighter wheel and tire package. You will have to pay up for this though, as the stock package is pretty light to start with.

Tha pretty much covers the basic weight reduction.

If you want cheap intercooler pipes get them from Dave Brode.

quote:Originally posted by a_santos:
You can start by replacing the front seats with lightweight racing seats. A good 30lbs can be saved per seat. Then you can remove the AC and switch to a manual steering rack. After that you can strip all of the sound deadning material. Then if you want you can also remove the 4ws system. If you are still not satisfied, you can get a lighter wheel and tire package. You will have to pay up for this though, as the stock package is pretty light to start with.

Tha pretty much covers the basic weight reduction.

If you want cheap intercooler pipes get them from Dave Brode.
Lose cruise control
Lose the auto seat belts
Lose the jack and the spare tire
Lose the spare tire cover
smaller/lighter battery
Lose the 4ws lines
titanium exhaust
89 galant glove box and lower driver's side dash.

those are some "simple" weight loss projects that wouldn't affect comfort

trim both the front and rear bumper reinforcments

pull the backseat

go on a low carb diet(shoot-out is really not that far away)

Put down that double cheeseburger.
grin.gif

Don't forget the ABS! That sh*t sucks anyway. You can also ditch the stereo and speakers, get a fiberglass, aluminum, or CF hood, replace the sunroof with a lexan/aluminum/CF panel, replace the power antenna with a fixed one, ditch the foglights, ditch the spoiler, replace hood latch and hinges with 4 pins, gut rear door beams (assuming you have no rear passengers/seats), convert electric windows to manual, replace rear door glass with plexiglass/lexan, get an aluminum X-fer case, a lightened flywheel (which has other benefits), ditch the charcoal canister and other emissions BS... hmm. That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. Ooh, maybe some tubular or aluminum lower control arms, if you can find them.

now can someone just put all these answers into one single reply and call it that, then anyone else who wants to add to it can just click on add function and do so. lol. just an idea to save space. consolidate

curtis

No one spoke of the 750 dollar aluminum driveshaft from the driveshaft shop in Jersey.

Mike Green

I have done most of the above. I have not weighed the car yet but my list of weight savings is:

cf hood
cf fenders
cf trunk
cf dash- I still have to design this
cf sunroof blockoff plate-- the sunroof mechanism is very heavy.

NO 4WS
no ac
no cruisecontrol
no carpet
no soundeadening
no backseat
no centerconsole

I also removed all of the door crashbars
lexan windows
I drilled out the spotwelds and removed all of the brackets for the dash,centerconsole,seats
A fuel cell
race seats
I am also replacing the stock wiring harness with a painlees/autronic one
jdm bumper
lighweight battery
wheels/tires
Al. driveshaft, I forgot thanks Curtis

I think that is everything but if I think of any more, I will add them. I am adding some weight in a few places, roll cage, exh. manifold, Tce big brakes for road course track days, fuel pump and lines, and an electric power steering pump- The stock one doesn't fit with the full- race manifold.

- mike

which galant has the manual windows? And how do i gut the rear door beams? What is the charcoal canister? very interested, sorry for all the questions im a noob. thanks

mike,

any word on that trunk lid, fenders etc carbon piece for us? I have a lot more weight to lose.

I all for the weight savings. Especially if its CF. But... its a street car/almost daily driver. My last car turned street car, got gutted, and it got to where I didnt wanna drive it anymore.
When I go to the track, it will be in full dress: cruise, A/C, everything. Its hot in the summer and I wanna be able to turn on my A/C on the return road!
grin.gif

I think there is somthing to be said for a car thats fast and still has all the ceature comforts. But then again... maybe Im gettin old...
confused.gif

For anyone who doesn't like gutting a perfect galant...i'm not. My car is an S-title anyway. It might as well be fast
rolleyes.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned