The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

old style safc install

So I got bored today & decided to mount the safc I've had for almost 4 months now. I saw this in someone's galant before & remembered saying to myself, that looks like it came that way from the factory. With that said, I was bent on getting the old style safc. My goal is a mere 300 ponies to the wheel & really want to keep it simple. Tomorrow, I'm going to modify the front of the ashtray as a plate.

I realize that today, but the finish on the edges are nicely rounded up. All I need is the right tools to perfectly cut out the opening for the buttons. Then figure out how to attach it over the safc.

BluFalcon

That's where I installed my old school AVC-R. Perfect location for aftermarket electronics.

Hertz

Staff member
Damn, I thought I was the first person to do this... oh well.
smile.gif

That's exactly what I had in mind. Hopefully tomorrow I can hook it up & finish mounting it. I really like the 'almost oem' look
wink.gif
but with an edge.

That's where the previous owner put his VPC and where I put my EVC. It's a convenient location. That looks great with the modified ashtray!

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
I didn't even notice it for a second. I have accomplished my goal. This is the reaction I was aiming for
grin.gif

Looks great! Good job
applause.gif
... Hey kind of OT, but where can you get that 'pocket' under your stereo? I need to go pick up new radio brackets from the dealer.. I was thinkin maybe they had those too.
grin.gif

14bCrazy

Do you use the ash tray or do you make a new plate.

Hertz

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by GVR4in:
Looks great! Good job
applause.gif
... Hey kind of OT, but where can you get that 'pocket' under your stereo? I need to go pick up new radio brackets from the dealer.. I was thinkin maybe they had those too.
grin.gif
Do a search on radio or DIN pocket here... it's been mentioned a few times.

quote:Originally posted by 14bCrazy:
Do you use the ash tray or do you make a new plate. I personally used just the face of the stock ashtray... removed everything else.

quote:Originally posted by 14bCrazy:
Do you use the ash tray or do you make a new plate. I only took out the ashtray. I trimmed the ashtray holder at the inside corners right by the screw holes front to back. I left the screw holes as they help hold the center bezel in place. I also trimmed a small part at the back of the ashtray holder, just enough to be able to easily plug in the harness. Slid the unit in the holder. The ashtray handle/face has 2 screws holding it. I unscrewed those, lined it up with the unit & marked where needs to be trimmed. I used a rotor zip & very carefully cut the handle/face. I purposely made my markings smaller than the unit. I then used 100 grit sandpaper to smooth out & straighten the cuts, test fitting as I go. It really turned out just like I wanted it
wink.gif
. Let's say I don't want this setup anymore, I take out the afc, get another ashtray or just the handle/face & slide it right back in. If I become a smoker this will work out great
grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts