The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how do i remove lower control arm from knukle

i got everything off now i need to get the lower control arm removed from the knukle at the ball joint

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I remove mine by pressing down on the control arm whilst whacking (technical term) the area of the knuckle where the stud goes through with a hammer.

There are special pullers too, but few have them.

spoulson

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could use a ball joint separator. It looks like a two-prong fork on a long handle.

4g63t

I've done the ball joint seperator, and I can't do it without destroying the boot. I've also whacked it with a hammer, make sure you thread the nut on first so you don't screw up the threads. I would guess that it would be a lot easier to heat the outside with a torch and then whack it, but I don't have a torch. Good luck!

Ian M

No,you dont hit the stud,you hit the knuckle itself. The ball joint stud *should* pop out of the knuckle.

Simple. Remove the castle nut from the ball joint and install it up side down back on the ball joint. Then lay a very thick wrench or similar chunk of steel between the nut and the bottom of the strut. remove nut again and it automatically presses the ball joint out. Oh, also give the hub housing a few quick wraps with a hammer first. Works 99% of the time

4g63t

quote:Originally posted by #258:
Simple. Remove the castle nut from the ball joint and install it up side down back on the ball joint. Then lay a very thick wrench or similar chunk of steel between the nut and the bottom of the strut. remove nut again and it automatically presses the ball joint out. Oh, also give the hub housing a few quick wraps with a hammer first. Works 99% of the time Man, that's freakin brilliant! Dammit, I've cursed and sworn and destroyed boots
mad.gif
and all this time there was this simple way! Thanks for that idea!
smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned