The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM bumper installation questions

You use a JDM inner beam which is literally not much of anything. If you look at your bumper and see where the raise line that goes around it is you will know where the JDM bumper stops. It's about 2" thinner than the US one. I'm not sure if there is a s'foam core for it but you need atleast the beam and bumper support.
Rich

Nate

There isn't any foam inner support in the JDM bumper cover, at least the front one. It has a rebar support that bolts into the frame rails and the bumper cover bolts to this. I can't imagine trying to make a bracket, you'd have to do a pretty good job and make it pretty complete or it looks like the bumper cover would sag in places. Best of luck.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
This is for those with JDM bumpers-front or rear. Some questions:

Easy or difficult?
Retained stock support with styrofoam removed or used JDM one?
Needed all the brackets to do it, or stock ones?
Bumper chrome molding insert able to be reused?
Any pictures/FAQ info?

I am contemplating this as I need a new front anyway, and want to know what all to order.

Thanks.

dc_style

hmm... the link does not work. does anyone have any more info on the jdm bumper? will a custom support have to made in addition to what is given? thanks.

Yiuwa

There isn't any foam inner support in the JDM bumper cover for rear bumper either. Both front and rear are bare metal

Checkout the pictures on this link for information on how is the JDM bumper installed

Good luck

Yiuwa

The bumper is fairly easy to install if you have the right parts. As was already said the jdm metal bumper support under the urethane shell is thin but complex, it has provisions for holding the fog lights also. Fabrication of it would be difficult even if you had a shop.

There also two right angle jdm brackets that replace the the USA bumper support brackets . You could fabricate those but it would require a lot of fixturing to get the bumper positioned and then measure for the brackets. Get the jdm brackets if you can and save a lot of work or just one to use as a pattern. They are mirror image parts.

You will have to drill two holes on each side of the frame to mount the JDM angle brackets. There are two half punched out holes on the outside of the frame where the USA bumper brackets mount. I found the ideal place to drill for my jdm bumper was about 1/4 in above the half punched out holes. I drilled right on the half punched out holes and had to slot the holes in the angle brackets to move the bumper upward the 1/4 inch.

The chrome USA trim strip could be reused if you can get it off the USA bumper without cracking the clear overcoat on it. The adhesive makes it very tough to do this.

467bum.jpg

I am trying figure that out. It depends on what you want to cut and hose route. 3in thick with max height (10 in. looks OK, 11 in. maybe) looks like you have to do some mods on the lower hood latch support and power steering lines. Width is biggest variable depending on if you want to lose the fog lights.

Ward

quote:Originally posted by dc_style:
what is the biggest ic i could fit with the jdm bumper? thanks alot. i appreciate it.

dc_style

so what's the biggest ic that any of you jdm bumper guys have on besides the jdm ic. garfield, do you have any pics of the install? thanks.

Sorry, I had some pix of the install but lost/deleted them when I re-did my site pix. I believe the Dave Brode sticky on the Parts For Sale page has some discussion on the largest size intercooler that will fit behind a jdm bumper.

turbowop

quote:Originally posted by dc_style:
does anybody have pictures of these two brackets? I'll take some pics of the brackets tomorrow.

turbowop

It's kind of funny really. I had to cut the sh*t out of my stock bumper support to fit the intercooler core I have. When I went to fit the JDM bumper with it's internal support fully intact it slipped right over the intercooler almost as if it were meant to be. I'm just waiting for the bumper cover to be painted and I will take some pictures. Hopefully the cover will be done tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts