The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recipe for 11-sec capable Galant

Nate

Due to the rash of recent arguments, here is what I've used with success to get a Galant to run 11s, along with some comments:Healthy motor
3" exhaust
Ported exhaust manifold, turbine housing, and O2 housing
20G turbo w/7cm housing
Supra pump
550cc injectors
HKS VPC
4 bolt rear end
good clutch, either ACT or Centerforce
good intercooler and piping
Hallman boost controller
Some sort of straighter air intake plumbing to the turbo
Tranny that shifts well
Money to spend on entrance fees to test the above mods.You could also get an external gate, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. This recipe is roughly what was on my car when it first ran 11s, along with minor suspension stuff to make it not transfer weight quite as drastically as they do stock. What some people don't realize is that you need to spend time making sure that the IC system holds pressure, that the fuel delivery system is up to spec (clean fuel filters), and just make sure that each of the car's subsystems works as well as it can. Spending money on entrance fees and just driving the car helps the most, though. I honestly didn't make a single change in my car's hardware from when it ran 13.5 to when it ran 12.4. Just installing a fresh clutch and the LSD rear dropped it into the 11s.There are obviously more ways than one to get a Galant to be a reliable daily car that runs well at the track. A lot of people run without a VPC, and run very well, but up to this point it's what I've had the most success with. I've been tempted to try a 2G mas, but then I'd have to re-do my intake plumbing both to allow for the airflow sensor and have a bung for the BOV to vent back in, which I really don't feel like doing, so it gets put on the back burner. The white car is very reliable, everything works in it, the only thing it ever really breaks are transmission parts, and I'm very hard on transmissions at the track. Anyway, your mileage may vary, this recipe works for me. If the Maroon Car ever runs the way I'd like it to, I'll post one of these for a 10 second Galant, but who knows if that'll ever happen. You guys will have to talk to Adam about that. ;-)

That's cool Nate. Thanks for the recipe above. Almost funny that 550's will work well into the 11's and there's a lot of 660's and 720's being installed. I'm far from a tuning expert, but seems like too much fuel being thrown in often. No cams in your 11-second recipe, eh?
Kevin

This shows the K.I.S.S. principle works and should be added to the Freq. Asked section. Thanks for sharing your considerable experience!

Nate

When my first Galant ran 11s, it had a bone stock shortblock in it, no cams, no porting, nothing. Come to think of it, the intake manifold was extrude honed, but I don't think that is required, and the money is better spend elsewhere.

ken inn

waitaminutetherereverend. you forgot THE most important ingredient. the DRIVER. a loooong time ago, i was campaigning a bmw 2002 in solo 2, and was only mildly successful. then, i let this kid i knew drive it, and he got first place. then, i let another kid drive it, and he was even better. after that, it was only for the fun, because i knew i would never win. unless all the other cars dnf'd

Nate

That setup dyno'd at 430 to the wheels, the surging problem I mentioned in another post was causing me to not get steady boost until 6000rpms or so. Getting steady boost should bring the numbers up 50hp or so at the same boost.
A 2G MAS is definitely an alternative, I just haven't tried it. You should be able to get the car to run high 12s on the stock MAS and injectors, though. You shouldn't even need a 2G mas.
I do think driving ability can be learned. Josh and Ben used to make fun of me constantly about my slow shifting, specifically my 1-2 shift. I started going to Atco every chance I got, and noticed how shifting quicker (and using different techniques, experimenting) affected the ETs, and also the mph I would get at the traps. It took me a few months to get to be a better driver, whereas Josh could shift quickly from the day he got into a Galant. I had to learn it.

Ian M

Yeah, a 2g MAS will go 11's pretty easy. A freind of mines 3690 Lb Galant (he's 6'8 and 365) went 12.05 @115 with seat of the pants tuning in 95 degree heat (spining,and he shifts it slow too..
smile.gif
)on 22psi on a 20g. Cool air,and some tuning and it will no 11's no problem,and it was his only second trip to the track with it,the the only change from the first time was a 4-bolt(the 3-bolt lasted about 4 runs before it broke,the best it went then was a 12.36)
Funny,all the other cars ive had Ive powershifted the hell out of,it actually took me a while to get out of the habit of it when I got my Galant. My trans shifts like butter,and im gonna keep it that way as long as i can..
smile.gif

Ian M

He's just plain BIG. To give you an idea,his pinky is big as my thumb! He also has a full drag Rabbit GTi,you should see him in that,funny as hell-he looks out the rear quarter glass!
smile.gif
[This message has been edited by Ian M (edited 08-22-2002).]

ken inn

yeah, but all the practice in the world aint gonna make up for natural ability. some have it, and i know i dont. i'm sure lots of others have more/higher mods on their cars, but dont go as fast. you could beat me in my own car. and probably lots of others, too

Nate, just out of curiosity, did you guys dyno that set up that ran the 11.7? Just wondering what kind of HP you were putting to the wheels...
Also, you're reference to the 2G MAS - were you implying that that could be an alternative to running a VPC? I'm not shooting for 11's, but I know I don't want to run VPC's, etc. when shooting for high 12's :p

quote:Originally posted by Nate:
I do think driving ability can be learned. Josh and Ben used to make fun of me constantly about my slow shifting, specifically my 1-2 shift. I started going to Atco every chance I got, and noticed how shifting quicker (and using different techniques, experimenting) affected the ETs, and also the mph I would get at the traps. It took me a few months to get to be a better driver, whereas Josh could shift quickly from the day he got into a Galant. I had to learn it.Definitely. Josh and I used to bag Nate pretty hard back in, um 1996, for his shifting abilities. Oh yah, he has come a long way. Way to break parts like the best of them now. Every friday at BSD, and every Tuesday (?) at ATCO gave Nate a pretty buff right arm. Contrary to popular belief, it is from the shifting experience - nothing else.

DSSA

Blah, blah, blah....You *KNOW* as well as I do that there's another reason his right arm is bigger than his left...and that you and I both develop cases of tennis elbow even though we don't actually play the sport.After two years of not racing, it'll be interesting to see if I can still shift at all. This may be Nate's chance for revenge on me. =[

Since I no longer use my arm to shift, it's getting king of weak. However I am giving it a workout now and again. My left leg however is getting very large.

number3

Of the four of us Nate is the only NOT married so we excuses for having big right arms
wink.gif

Umm.. Harry, can you edit your post using standard English? It makes no sense. :-D

He missed "one" and "have"Of the four of us Nate is the only one NOT married so we have excuses for having big right arms

Sorry to butt in guys, but Nate, are you saying that a standard, healthy motor is strong enough to handle the kind of boost and airflow necessary to go into the 11's?11's in a VR4 is what, about approx. 450hp? Are they really that strong? Not doubting you, but I just got an estimate of NZ$5000 for a rebuilt forged engine. But if it's strong enough to run 11's stock, then I might as well save that cash for something else. (I'd be happy with mid-low 12's). My engine is only 84k miles. It has 24" vacuum on deler. and doesn't appear to blowing any smoke at 17psi. No oil in the water, no water in the oil. It had a leakdown test about 12k miles ago (approx. I think) and it was all okay. I had a pressure test done on it and it has a leak around the throttle shaft, so I need to get that fixed.I already have:
big Bosch fuel pump,
big Bosch fuel filter,
720's (Mazda 12a Turbo, I got them cheap),
Malpassi AFR,
2G Mas (Lancer Evo 1-3),
straighter intake to turbo,
factory FMIC,
port matched Evo 3 exhaust manifold,
ported turbine housing with 28mm WG port, O2 eliminator,
3" exhaust (no cat),
4bolt rear (JDM car),
I'm getting the ECU retuned with a custom chip. I have been holding off getting a TD06-20g (or similar) cause I understand that they run best with higher boost (over 20psi?), and wasn't sure if the engine could handle it. I realize that 17psi from a 20g is a hell of a lot more air than a 16g. I know there's a lot in the tuning of it, but I still had concerns.Sorry for the length.
Thanks, Mike.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts