The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 wheel and tire Knowledge base!!!!

boostx

very good info
quote:Originally posted by blacksheep:
Ok, the "K Base" is up on my site for now! Please PM me suggestions and concerns. A big thanks to Mark Rieb for all his hard work. It will be updated with more info at appropriate periods of time!

GVR4 Wheel and Tire Information can be found here....

Enjoy!

KC

steve

Awesome. I heard the Sentra SER SpecV wheels will fit our cars. If this is confirmed you could add it to the list. Nice job!

4g63t

Nice job, very informative! If I could add something, the 92-96 prelude rims will fit, but they need to be massaged with a grinder to fit on the "hub-centic" part of our hubs. Also, the inner lip of the rear wheels rubs against the rear control arm, the arm needs to be notched. Just my .02
wink.gif

Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T 26 x 9.5 x 16

Hoosier says it's an 8in wide tread and it will be going on a 16x7 rota slipstream. What do you think Mark, will they fit? They are aweful pricey to screw up
confused.gif

RockGVR4

Best guide ever!!!!! Thanks much

markrieb

Pivvay,

Look at the tire and wheel chart and we'll work from there.

The biggest problem I see is the 26" tire height for the slick as the stock tires are only 24" and change tall.

The 8" tread width is not a problem as 8" x 25.4mm/inch = 203mm, well within what we can run. Even 9.5" width is only 241 mm.

Normally a 7" rim would be too narrow for that tire, but a drag tire is a bit of a different beast. Run a slightly narrower rim for drag racing as that will give you more sidewall flex than compared to a wider rim.

Two extra inches in height at that width is a bit much, plus you would be loosing significant gearing.

Bottom line is that I'd look for a similar width tire, but shorter, maybe 25" tall at most. Also realize that a slick will grow in height at speed.

Also realize that I started this database/list for street tires and road race/autox tires and haven't paid too much attention to drag tires. I don't have any information on fitment of drag radials.

Mark

mark,

Thanks for the response. I've been researching further and you are right. those 26"s are probably too tall. I'm going to run some 24.5" tall hoosiers instead. I'll update all the info here when I get them

quote:Originally posted by Pivvay:
mark,

Thanks for the response. I've been researching further and you are right. those 26"s are probably too tall. I'm going to run some 24.5" tall hoosiers instead. I'll update all the info here when I get them
Too Tall? depends also on what 1st gear you are using. 26" with stock 1st gear might not work, but with a DSM 1st gear which is shorter, it souldn't be a problem.
smile.gif

too tall even with teh 1g first gear. Comes directly from shep's mouth to me personally.

blacksheep

I have a question. You say all 240sx wheels will fit, yet their bore center size is smaller than ours...They are 66.1, we are 67.1 - Isnt this an issue?

Also, is our lug thread pattern 12x1.25 or 12x1.50 - I think 1.50, but wanted to double-check!

Thanks!

KC

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
12 x 1.5. Same as Toyota, Mazda, most domestics that have gone metric. Nissan is 12 x 1.25. I have lots of lugnuts of both sizes in my garage.

for what it's worth: This summer I installed 17"x 7.5" wide Team Dynamic Mirage wheels w/ 37mm offset and 215-45-17 GDYR F1 tires....the slight buldge of the outer face of the tire is slightly past the fender.

Another data point from my GVR4 - the maximum backspacing I can run in the rear just touching the trailing arm is 6.88" and the front can handle 7.06" [~+4mm more than the rear]. This is based on 16x7.5" +40 wheels w/ 225/50 Firestone SZ50 tires which has 4mm clearance in the rear. With different tires, the result will be different depending on the actual section width of the tire.

DETAILS: For the calculations I used the manufacturer's specs for the actual tire section width and not the nominal size [225mm] and adjusted for non-standard rim width per the manufacturer's recommendation of 0.2" change in section width for every 0.5" change in rim width. For example, the SZ50 is specified at 9.1" section width on a 7" wide rim. Since I'm using a 7.5" rim, the effective section width = 9.1" + 1 * 0.2" = 9.3".

The backspacing calculation does include 0.5" for the rear rim flange as calculated elsewhere. i.e. BS" = tire section width/2 + offset/25.4 mm/in + 0.5" In addition, I also calculate frontspacing the same way to figure out how far the wheel sticks out [My GVR4 calculates to 3.58" and I'm guessing that up to about 4" is ok before rubbing].

Assuming a Fuzion ZRi 235/45 tire [9.4" section on 8" wide] on 17" rims, the maximum theoretical possible offset in the rear would be:

8.0" wide: +43
8.5" wide: +40
9.0" wide: +38
9.5" wide: +35

If you use a bigger tire, the offset will have to be reduced to accomodate the wider section width.

kartorium

I don't have my wheels on to measure this stuff right now, but it seems like to go much more than 8" wide in the rear it might be wise to step up to an 18" wheel. My basis for this is on the orientation of the rear trailing arm and where the wheel/tire would contact. As the rim gets bigger in diameter it pushes the area were contact could occur further to the front of the vehicle, but at the same time the trailing arm is moving inward creating more clearance. Does this sound right to you kyle? BTW, with those calculations, do they take into account clearance with the fender lip/body? Like if you were to run a 9" wheel at 38mm would it rub on corners and bumps on the outside of the wheel/tire? Currently I run a 17x8 at 35mm and it is pretty close both on the trailing arm and the body. This is with 245/40's. It seems like you would need at least a 35mil offset in a 9", but I haven't actually got down and dirty and measured or calculated clearances.

gvr4ever

Quote:
Awesome. I heard the Sentra SER SpecV wheels will fit our cars. If this is confirmed you could add it to the list. Nice job!

They should fit. I grabed the steel rims and snow tires from the Spec V and used them on the GVR4 this year.

UPDATE: I was putting the snow tires back on the Spec V and instead of grabing the summer tires for the galant from the house, I was just going to put the Spec V stockers on the Galant. The rim bolted right up, but I was shocked when the rim rubbed on the front brake pad clip. I'm running metal master pads and I don't know if the clip sticks out farther then normal, but I was not able to use the spec v rims /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So don't buy without test fitting. The bolt pattern is correct tho.

Last edited:

Update on a new set of wheels... Acura TL '04 17x8 +45 wheels bored out to the DSM 67mm centerbore. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, 235/45, section width 9.3" on 8.0" rim.

Front fitment: Need 3mm spacer for 3mm strut clearance, will just rub forward plastic inner fender liner at full steering lock, plenty of clearance to suspension A-Arm.

Rear fitment: no spacer, 2.5mm clearance to trailing arm.

Per my previous calculation formula, the backspacing is 6.80" F / 6.92" R. The difference in these calcs vs. my old set is rim diameter - 17s have more clearance in the rear than 16s. See comment below.

Note: I have changed my calculation formula to: BS" = tire section width/2 + offset/25.4 mm/in. I've dropped the 1/2" rim flange fudge factor since the tire section width is almost always wider than the rim flange thickness.

Under my new calculation this setup yields backspacing of 6.30" F / 6.42" R.

Quote:
it seems like to go much more than 8" wide in the rear it might be wise to step up to an 18" wheel. My basis for this is on the orientation of the rear trailing arm and where the wheel/tire would contact. As the rim gets bigger in diameter it pushes the area were contact could occur further to the front of the vehicle, but at the same time the trailing arm is moving inward creating more clearance. Does this sound right to you kyle?

This matches my experience in the rear of the car.

Quote:
with those calculations, do they take into account clearance with the fender lip/body?

Not really. I'm simplistically equating frontspacing = fender clearance assuming uniform suspension movement geometry. Obviously that is a big assumption that isn't likely true for heavily modded suspensions.

Quote:
Like if you were to run a 9" wheel at 38mm would it rub on corners and bumps on the outside of the wheel/tire? Currently I run a 17x8 at 35mm and it is pretty close both on the trailing arm and the body. This is with 245/40's. It seems like you would need at least a 35mil offset in a 9"

35mm sounds about right. Based on my newest data, that 17x9" +38 235/45 fitment will need a 3mm spacer in the back - the section width increase of 0.4" [+10mm] on the wider rim is not balanced out by the decrease in offset [45-38= -7mm] with no change in tire diameter. Obviously a wider / taller tire will eat up more of the already minimal clearance and require even less offset to fit.

atc250r

Staff member
A little more info on the TL wheels. They should clear some of the 4 piston and maybe 6 piston set ups since the 04-05 TL 6 speed had 4 pots on it. I'm thinking hard about this set up on my car since I can get the wheels for free.

John

I don't see 205/60/15's listed in the knowledgebase.. is it possible someone could do the required calculations for them, and add them? I'm actually running them and i REALLY like the way they fill the wheel gap on my limited budget.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts