The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bruce Kwartler's flywheel explosion

Jon

Staff member
Supposed to be an 11 second Galant. Stock flywheel, not lightened, let go at 6800 rpm. It happened in 4th gear over 100 mph. He lost control after it happened when coolant got on the tires and then he smacked the wall twice. The clutch was a two month old ACT 2600.

http://home.comcast.net/~mcrcom/Galant/galant.html.txt

If you don't know who Bruce is, he owns Dave Buschur's old back halfed Talon. He is ok after this accident which is the only good news here.

I wonder if anyone will plug a scattershield on this post? Hmmmmm.
smile.gif

14bCrazy

First off I know that shields are a good thing. Harry have you had any customers have a fly wheel come apart with a shield installed. Just wondering if the shield would keep everything inside it or would it just slow down the flywheel as it breaks though. One of my all motor honda competors had one go and I believe it though all the pieces out the bottom.

Flywheels can still come apart with a Scattershiled( I'm sure that is what you meant).

They just minimize the damage & prevent possible deaths. Yes nost of the damage will come out the bottom of the car & not into the passenger compartment.

Hertz

Staff member
That is a very sobering display of physics. That strut tower bar deflected a little bit, too... probably saved the windshield, at least. That looks like it was a very nice Galant -- but now, that is an awful lot of damage. I'm glad the driver is okay.

That really sucks. A Fidanza wheel would have prevent that. Fidanza flywheel will not explode. Before you invest in a scattershield get yourself a good flywheel.

Or both, I plan on some kind of scatter shield and a roll cage over winter. I have a JUN chromoly flywheel, I really hope it makes it threw this weekend, and a dyno session nov 1st.

~John

14bCrazy

I know that they still would come apart. I just wonder if it would blow right though the shield. It would be alot beter than nothing that for sure. Is it that the aftermarket flywheels will not come apart or are the stock ones just old and worn out. I don't want a lightened flywheel. They do help the car rev up faster but they also rev down faster. Ive had them on some of the Honda/Acura's I,ve had and I didn't really like them.

Bimmubishi

Damn! He lives up the street from me. I'll have to check it out. That was my buddy Oren's car. He sold it to Bruce. I'm glad he's okay. It looks like the car's totalled.

AL

It doesn't matter if the flywheel is a stock new one or an old one I've seen them both come part. Fidanza makes 1050 steel chromoly heavier flywheel 18lb for people who don't like their 9lb one.

14bCrazy

Who has the best prices on the Fidanza's. I looked on there web site and I didn't see the heaver ones.

quote:If you are running a puck style disc and or plan on running on a slipping clutch for too long, a lightened flywheel isn't for you. But then I don't know of any flywheel that will like that either. The same heat that cracks a stock flywheel will warp a Jun flywheel because they are so thin. The friction surface of an aluminum flywheel will warp and twist up with the same abuse.

quote:Originally posted by 14bCrazy:
Who has the best prices on the Fidanza's. I looked on there web site and I didn't see the heaver ones. The heavier ones are a special order from Fidanza. Contact Turbotrix if you want to order one.

quote:Originally posted by dsmsleeper:
quote:If you are running a puck style disc and or plan on running on a slipping clutch for too long, a lightened flywheel isn't for you. But then I don't know of any flywheel that will like that either. The same heat that cracks a stock flywheel will warp a Jun flywheel because they are so thin. The friction surface of an aluminum flywheel will warp and twist up with the same abuse. The friction surface on the Fidanza will not warp. The friction surface is held down with 20 bolts.

number3

What happened to the moonroof?

frown.gif

Harry

My guess is that it shattered when he hit the wall. The flex of the car will cause that.

But if you look close there is damage to the roof.

curtis

If this guy needs anything we need to hook him up we all probably have all the parts he needs just laying around. I've got a bellhousing and case if he needs it. We don't need another one of these going to the junk yard.

quote:Originally posted by number3:
What happened to the moonroof?

frown.gif

Harry
Hood popped, flew open, and crushed it.

number3

quote:Originally posted by 14bCrazy:
Harry have you had any customers have a fly wheel come apart with a shield installed. Not that I know of.

Harry

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts