The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SOLD: Holset HE351VE

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvr4me

Up for sale is a Holset HE351VE. There is minimal side to side shaft play and no in and out. The wheels spin freely. Buyer pay for shipping and Paypal fee. $250

183677_10150095705391828_665671827_6889143_7861012_n.jpg

180114_10150095705446828_665671827_6889146_1045847_n.jpg

180636_10150095705496828_665671827_6889148_2559199_n.jpg

Last edited:

curtis

Some info for you guys. This is what is soon hopefully that will be living on mine if I ever get everything done around here so i can start.

Ti compressor wheel, flows around 70 to 75 lbs a minute up top at 4.2 bar, compressor housing is around a .80 ar, turbine housing goes from a .14 to 1.85 ar. or 3cm to +25cm . I've read it flows around 57 at 28psi through a stock dsm intake.

The first to do this was a guy with a 2G his sign on name is aero on the different boards so do a google search for aero vgt and you'll find plenty of reading also a danny250f or something like that his is the red car on the you tube video of the vgt dsm.

Heres what was posted about his on DSM talk remember thsi was with just a 14b actuator hooked to the control arm and not using the on board electronics.
Aeros results:

The actuator holds the VGT closed until 6-7 psi, then spool slows down. Its weird, driving normally you can't really hear much exhaust note wise the only thing you hear is the turbine wheel whistling, keep in mind this is through 8" of exhaust. Once it hits 6-7 lbs, the note changes totally, the rack is open fully by ~10-11 lbs I beleive. It sounds sort of like an electric cutout opening, but not as loud. I think even though it has a huge hotside the vanes still help quiet it down, but make it whistle more. Go under and overpass and it sounds like a jet flying by.
Here is a log from ~70mph cruise in 5th gear showing the transient response. 70kpa, to 9psi in about .95 seconds at ~3000-3100rpm.
It spools a good 1000-1200 rpm faster than the small 8 blade HX40 in the .55A/R bullseye housing I had on the car before. Even with the VGT open fully which is somewhere far above 1A/R. Over 3500rpm or so the boost keeps climbing, by 4400 rpm it reaches 24lbs and climbing rapidly. I'm really glad I included the external gate

alansupra94

Very tempted! PM sent! I guess my only question is: is this a watercooled turbo? I hear mention of water ports but no definite answer.

Last edited:

gvr4me

If there is an elegant way to control the vgt, I'd be all over this. This turbo is also heavier than other Holset turbos in similar size. I think 6-blade hx40 is good for me for now.

alansupra94

I didn't think heaviness really made that much of a difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess you should get better grade bolts.

I wish there was a more elegant way to control it but the boost control style looks fine to me. I don't need exhaust braking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif, I just need better spooling. I plan to control the "VGT" using AEM boost solenoid anyways.

dsmless

I was thinking something along the way of using two actuators like in the link above, one for vacumn and the other for boost but to control it use a electric boost controller like a greddy or hks unit that has both high and low adjustments that way you could "set" the low or vacumn for cruising and the "high" or boost to control the turbine vanes exhaust contact area the only problem would be to find a good way to mount this turbo so it dont interfear with the already cramped engine compartment, maybe a foward facing exhaust manifold

BrandonEchols

Quoting dsmless:
the only problem would be to find a good way to mount this turbo so it dont interfear with the already cramped engine compartment, maybe a foward facing exhaust manifold

I'm considering an ERL manifold for mine.
It would also of course need to be paired with a scirocco or civic radiator.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting gvr4me:
If there is an elegant way to control the vgt, I'd be all over this. This turbo is also heavier than other Holset turbos in similar size. I think 6-blade hx40 is good for me for now.

There is...Standalone ems.

alansupra94

Why would you need a write up? If you understand how the VGT works and how you plan to control it, all it would take is some time to tweek the exact settings to get the VGT to behave as you like.

I would be all over this but I have my hands full with my AEM EMS installation and a few other things first.

dsmless

this turbo with this air to water intercooler would be tits
click

BrandonEchols

What kind of stand alone EMS are you guys talking about?
AFAIK the problem has been the fact that this thing uses the CAN bus and no one (save allegedly Fleece performance) have been able to write an electronic controller for the VGT. At least thats what I've been hearing, and that's what I think of when I hear about elegant control.

curtis

Its in the works guys but isn't going to be an easy road. The wastegate control is a big no no. On an automatic maybe fine but with a stick car as you shift the actuator will slam closed in between gears yea great to spool up for the next gear but will over spin the wheel way past what it needs to be. The best way is to be able to set the thing for what you need it for. Dragstrip needs to be full fast out of the hole and change the ar to like .63 in 2nd, 1.0 in 3rd, 1.2 in 4th etc just depends on the car and set-up then in town you don't want instant spool maybe a low variable of .82 then up to a 1.1, interstate cruising at 80 you'll want a 1.85 for that 35mpg, road race you want instant on out of the corner. That's why there's been a discussion with certain people around here about a controller that has a equalizer style set-up like a AFC that has a pile of usable maps. All it will take is set-up for one style and then hit save etc etc. that way if your behind a school bus and go to pass you want go .14 to .48 and blaze past them but just enough power to get up and move. In my thinking if you pull out the direct drive motor and install a stepping motor or just build a can bus controller the afc style will be the best bet, You could just run on whats on the screen or run a preset map.

Another option and I've not call about it is the meqasquirt. I hear they now have a can bus controller but haven't called the verify this as of yet.

alansupra94

Couldn't you make a custom file for AEM that controls the wastegate? I know they have 5V control outputs....I will be reading much more into AEM to learn its full capabilities.

I have been tempted to run megasquirt but all the wiring and what not really turned me off since this is my DD.

desant78

Is turbo still for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned