The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Manual Seat Belts and All Trim, Correct Color

SmoothCustomer

I'm selling a complete set of manual seat belts with all of the trim and both buckles in the correct color. They are in great shape, but one of the headliner trim pieces has one broken tab and the belts are a little faded (not bad). As far as I can tell that is the only problem. If there is any missing trim in this picture, please let me know. They were installed briefly so the B-pillar trim has already been cut to work on a GVR4. Came out nicely in my opinion. $300 + shipping OBO. Might seem a little high, but I'm open to offers, these look like they're getting hard to find in this condition and I've been burned pricing things too low before.

slugsgomoo

do you have the special bolts & washers that mount the shoulder strap on the b-pillar? I only have one of them for my set and apparently that bolt is basically a unicorn. It allows the belt to be securely attached but still rotate.

Just for posterity's sake, can you show pics of how they have to be cut to fit on a gvr4? also, did you find you had to drill holes to get the mount points to line up? Those hassles are part of why I've never installed mine.

strokin4dr

The bolt you need is a standard size used on many cars for the seatbelt b pillar mounting. You can get it from many cars in the scrap yard.
I believe it is a 5/8" fine thread, but I'd have to confirm that.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting slugsgomoo:
do you have the special bolts & washers that mount the shoulder strap on the b-pillar? I only have one of them for my set and apparently that bolt is basically a unicorn. It allows the belt to be securely attached but still rotate.

Just for posterity's sake, can you show pics of how they have to be cut to fit on a gvr4? also, did you find you had to drill holes to get the mount points to line up? Those hassles are part of why I've never installed mine.

Yes, I have all of the original hardware, just didn't picture it. Pretty certain that includes the bolts for the latches as well. I never drove the car with it (never drove the car period) but I had them all mounted up and it seemed totally proper to me. Never had to drill anything to mount them, only modification I made was cutting the B-Pillar trim, which I've pictured here. It does look ragged, but here's the thing: that trim is extremely hard to cut without having it seem like it was just going to snap or crack, and the upper belt loop seemed to cover the hole pretty much completely. You'd really have to be looking to see it if I recall correctly (don't want to get too definite about this as it's been so long since I had it mounted and I don't want anyone who buys this to feel misled). I tried to find a picture of it mounted but couldn't. I think I used a large drill bit you would use for wood, and I think it sort of ended up just breaking it how you see it now, but I got lucky. It broke not far from where it needed to be and there are no cracks or anything in the rest of the trim. Please see THIS thread for mounting info. I asked the mods to move it to how-to but it never happened. There was some discussion of that plate, and I do think that would be safer. Like I said, I'm not sure if it was mounted to something more sturdy on a car with factory manual belts. So in my opinion the only real hassle is cutting that B-Pillar trim and that's just because it seems so fragile. Safety is also a genuine concern and for that reason buyer purchases and uses this kit at their own risk.

You can see where it needs to be cut to. Pretty much right under that upper clip is a nice guide.

Last edited:

SmoothCustomer

Here is the mounting hardware. Sorry it's so blurry. I must not have gotten the latch bolts, but if I didn't they should be the same as auto ones (again, I gad this kit mounted) and if they're not, any bolt should work as the latches don't really need to swivel the way the rest of the belt does.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I believe the bolt desired is 9/16 UNF. I probably have some Andrew, but just moved last weekend and all my stuff is a mess and all over the place. I can find some probably within a few weeks.

Basically, it needs spacers so it can swivel like you mentioned. The bolt otherwise is not really anything special (other than the unusual thread for a metric car).

SmoothCustomer

Yup, you're right. Based on what was in that bag (4 bolts), I must have all of the bolts for the belt anchor and the latches. Went out to check and the upper bolts were still attached. Here's a blurry pic. Honestly I'm surprised yours came out slugs, it seems like they're permanently attached.

SteveDSM

I actually just installed my 89 seat belts per the ideas given in that thread, and honestly, the mounting of the actual reel/seatbelt retractor is actually very sturdy in my honest opinion. I was actually the one that took my set out of my donor car, and except for the fact that it doesn't have that perfectly shaped hole for it like the 89 pillar has, it still feels just as sturdy in there even with just the one (albeit large) anchor bolt holding it in. Just some food for thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif , but I do agree that anyone to do this would be doing it at there own risk though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

There are two flavors of the manual belts. The earlier one is straight fabric above the anchor point. A later design has a small loop sewn near the bottom that is covered by a slip over sleeve. I believe the stitching in the loop is supposed to tear during a crash to allow a bit of give in the belt to decrease deceleration forces on the torso. It looks from the pictures this is a later belt. For people using these types of belts they can slide the sleeve up to inspect the stitching to see if it it could have already been torn from an accident.

SteveDSM

Good eye! I didn't even realize there were 2 different styles! learn something new every day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned