The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS:clear timing cover

transparentdsm

its an HKS, i have one. it jut lets you look at your timing belt without removing the cover. it doesnt really "DO" anything in a good or bad sense.

G

Staff member
Not made by hks.

minneSNOWta

I agree with G. At that price, I would doubt it. The Zaklee is about $70-80. If HK$ made them, then they would be priced around the same as Zaklee, but probably more. Whoever made those just used a purple gasket to look like it was made by HK$. Couldn't find anything via google, so I'm not sure if they ever made such a product. Some guy on MitsuStyle said he had a real deal BNIB HK$ timing cover without pics and was asking $200. It sold too. Hopefully it's real.

G

Staff member
China ftw.

mistaVR4

Zaklee FTW! You definitely get what you pay for ;-)

G

Staff member
The box was a knockoff too.

transparentdsm

ok well it says HKS on it and it said it on the box. i guess japan really makes a quality knock-off and puts it in a nice box that looked like a real HKS box. if you go on any other website that sells the HKS clear timing cover it looks exactly the same as mine and the one for sale on eBay.

i have had it on the car for a while and it has no cracks and looks great. for the 45$ i spent, im happy. considering a brand new OEM one was 75$ and id have to take the cover off every time i wanted to check my timing belt, this is perfect for me.

plus it looks like a real HKS timing cover, regardless of what you say or think G.

transparentdsm

Quoting mitsuturbo:
They're also easy to crack. You have to be extra careful when you bolt them down.

not really mine have metal sleeves that go through the clear plastic that stop the bolt from going down to far and cracking it.

strokin4dr

I think they look like a good quality part for what it is. That said, I'm pretty some they are knockoffs.
Lots of fake HKS parts out there, bovs, cams gears, etc. Even the boxes are nice copies.

Still, it's just a cover with no moving parts. It should be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting strokin4dr:
I think they look like a good quality part for what it is. That said, I'm pretty some they are knockoffs.
Lots of fake HKS parts out there, bovs, cams gears, etc. Even the boxes are nice copies.

Still, it's just a cover with no moving parts. It should be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

like i said almost 20k miles on mine and no cracks or anything. its clear and does what it needs to do. keep crap out and let me see in. even if its a knockoff it looks really good and is of nice quality. im more then happy with mine. i take the cover off every 5k or so miles to clean the inside as it gets dirty.

mitsuturbo

Just a word to the wise, i have seen these crack from being overtightened, regardless of the brass/metal insert. It's not a bad idea to make sure the metal protrudes a bit from the plastic before torquing down bolts on these.

I have the Zaklee on my car, and i like it. I think i picked it up on sale somewhere for $50 shipped. It looks nice enough, considering nobody is selling a nice polished stainless or aluminum one.

G

Staff member
Actually it's not a knock off because hks never made them for 4g63's. So their is not one to copy.

transparentdsm

sh*t, then what would you call it G? im confused. so there was never even one made, but somehow there is this? how is that? im being serious i honestly don't understand.

G

Staff member
Zaklee knockoff forgery?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts