The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FEELER: Customized valve covers

Galantvr4559

Hello my name is bryan and i am a painter by profession. I have some friends around the denver area i have done custom valve covers for. I am just throwing a feeler out to see if there is interest enough for me to do. Basically you send me ur vc and tell me what color and affect you want and i will take care of the rest. Options would be as fallows an fittings welded on for catch can application (just to specify what size an u want), painted letters, custom affect in paint like flake or pearls, metal finished letters or possibly polished letters, new baffles welded in after sand blast.

I did a vc for a buddy how he wanted and he loves it. I did polished letters then painted it black and put blue flake in it and then cleared the vc for a long lasting shine provided owner takes care of it. I also just finished one for 1295inthe303. He Painted his engine bay and gave me the paint so i could match vc to engine bay color and then added red flake and cleared it. High temp paint is used for the paint process

Let me here some Comments to see what people think

Price will vary depending on what you want done. I will work with you on cost per vc.

Baffles cost $45 shipped to us and it takes almost 3 hrs to drill em out and weld in new ones.
Sandasting and new baffles.
Basic paint no sand blasting just sand smooth prime and paint? $100 shipped
Custome color and affect $125 shipping included no sand blasting just sand smooth prime and paint
Sand blasted, new baffles, and painted to choice $200 shipped no custome affect in the paint
Sand blasted, new baffles, an fittings and custom color $250 shipped
Metal finished letters no charge
Polished letters an extra $20.00
Shaving of valve cover
Core Exchange or core charge of $50

we ask that you send us your vc as a core exchange. If you just want custom paint we ask you provide the cover unless agreed otherwise. Yes i am painting the valve covera not powder coating them. Using high temp paint like the stuff from the parts store but not using rattle can. Can do any color you want literally any color even candies, metallic's and pearls.

Last edited:

unistylef

I read sandblasting is bad for vc's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm kind of a noob for technical stuff.

Galantvr4559

Only if using high pressure and coarse grain sand. I use a media thats is sand but its so soft its non beating on the aluminum.

turbowop

Quoting unistylef:
I read sandblasting is bad for vc's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'm kind of a noob for technical stuff.

It's bad because it can get trapped up under the baffles and come out after the cover is reinstalled, ruining engine bearings, etc. If this guy is pulling out and replacing baffles, I'm guessing the blasting media is being cleaned out as well.

James

How are they being painted?

Tre3zy

im pretty sure this is gonna be powder coated...

James

I would assume so, but since it's not actually said, it's worth asking.

A lot of things are obvious, yet we still have warnin labels on them.

Caution: hot

Galantvr4559

They are being painted via high temperature paint not powder coating. Its not as strong yes i know but why does a vc paint need to be strong for? Heat? Well high temp paint offers the same protction. Vc dont get over 300 degrees. High temp paint is good over 500 degrees. Similar to what you find at autozone. Sorry for being unclear and yes when vc is sand blasted baffles are already removed and the blasting mdia will be cleaned out before new baffles go in.

James

I rest my case

turbowop

Powdercoating is good for those of us that throw tools all over the valvecover while workIng in the engine bay. That's pretty much all of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Tre3zy

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif yea i know i do hahaha but i do put a few rags over the VC though

Galantvr4559

Paint can stand up to that as long as its not fresh paint. Who throws tools. They are expensive first of all and why would anyone throw tools and these cars they are problem free and never break down. Lol

James

No offense to your service but i think you can get parts powdercoated for the same or sometimes cheaper price.

I know my VC cost me 100+shipping

Galantvr4559

That may be tru but what i am offering for services is far beyond powder coatings capabilities. Custom colors, welded on an fittings and new baffles. When i post pics u will ser what i mean. Powder coating has limitations on color selection.

James

Does it? Because my PCoater pretty much told me he could do any color i wanted.. In any style I wanted. (gloss,wet,wrinkle,flat,flaked,2tone,ect). Powdercoaters offer fittings installed also.

Im not saying your quality and job won't be nice, i just think you will have trouble finding business with them prices.

JNR

If you take the time to do some details on the VC, I could see them being much nicer than a PC cover that they just add a coating to. However, nobody here will (bunch of cheap asses) appreciate or pay for that sort of tedious labor unfortunately...I ended up doing it myself (rather than send it out) and when it's done will look nicer than anything I could buy (unless I pay somebody to put in the hours of labor this one went thru)...nice thing is there are so many little things done to it, somebody looking at it will wonder why it looks slightly different, lol.

Anyway, good luck on them and I'm sure they'd be nice, but like I said this place is not the one to sell things that have a lot of craftsmanship put into them.

Galantvr4559

I have done some research for powder coating and every quote i got was over a $100 for just the powder coating. I was just throwing a feeler out there to see if there was interest in it or not. Painting offers a lot wider selection of color options. I work at a custom paint facility for harley davidson and i work with colors i know for a fact powder costing cant offer like candies and pearls. I dont want to argue about it but the prices are what they are because of cost of doing all the work takes times and money for parts.

prove_it

Thank you for offering your services to us. It's always good to hear professionals throwing out some services.

Come on guys, don't bust his balls cause hes trying to make a buck or two.

Galantvr4559

I actually do have pics of the ones i have done. I will post pics later today or tomorrow. I dont have a computer my car stole it from me and i dont have Internet at the moment. So i have to go to a friends housr and post pics.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts