**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 10:23 AM
Fuel Pump Nightmare (pics)

No wonder my car stinks of gas a lot of the time. How incredibly dangerous is this situation? Last time I filled it up there was gas everywhere, pouring out from under the car near the gas cap, and even in the trunk. After removing the cover this is the sight I was greeted with:

The PO said the pump was upgraded to a walbro 255... So it looks like they removed the 12V supply wire from the pump assembly top plate and left the hole open, then they have it coming up between the plate and the tank I dont get it.

Its so rusty in there, it doesnt look like the pump has been out in years and years. Im going to follow the Vfaq for upgrading the fuel pump to remove it some time this week and see whats going on. I wonder how much of this Im going to have to replace?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 02:08 PM
Re: Fuel Pump Nightmare (pics)

Yum! That looks BAD! That wire could have shorted out at any time, possibly starting a fire with all that gas that would be around because of the seal not being comolete. Glad you found it before coming to any harm!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 02:53 PM

dayum! Good thing you found that or we would have lost another vr4 to fire damage! Looks like your going to need new tank and part that holds the pump and sending unit.. I think it was JNZ that had a sweet setup that used a bosch pump. Rust sucks believe me living in the northeast has its disadvantages when coming to cars and rusting.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies, I dont think I need a new tank (I hope) because it seems like its surface rust. But the whole pump/sending assembly looks like it has to go.

I never worked on a fuel system before and Im not looking forward to learning on this one. My first problem is that I have a good half tank of gas still left in there. I dont really want to drive the car anymore considering how bad the problem is, and I dont have a container large enough to catch that much gas if I use the drain plug. I have read of using the DSMlink to activate the pump and remove the fuel line going to the rail and have it pump into a container there, this way I can turn it off and use (2) 5gal containers.

Ive got a lot of searching to do tonight lol. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 06:16 PM

i bet you could get those nuts off. just hit it with the PB blaster for a few days, and go at it with some care. there are guys on here who had it way worse, and managed to save the sending units, so have faith. i personally had it so bad, you couldn't tell there were nuts on the studs. it was just little balls of rust. i ended up getting a new stailess unit from Alex (awesome by the way) and although it was a bit of a tough fit, that and some stainless rivets, and i was good to go. Too bad they don't make them anymore....at least i think they don't. good kuck man!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 06:31 PM

I disconnected the battery and removed all of that black tape that was on the 12V wire, take a look at this pretty picture:

Damn I have been really really lucky.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 06:36 PM

dude that is scary, glad you caught it before something bad came of it.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 06:55 PM

yeah that really sucks...after i installed the stainless unit, the gromet that held the little nut and bolt for the power wire fell out, and had worn the wire down. so imagine a hot wire straight into the fuel pump. we were on the way to Summit racing, and it popped the MPI fuse, i replaced the fuse, and it popped again in like 5 minutes. when we finally stopped to investigate (we were in the parking lot at this point) the wire had seperated from the nut/grommet thing, and was floating around in the tank. now with the sending unit rivited in, i had to buy a precision pick set from summit, and fish the wire out of the tank through the grommet hole...that was fun. i then fitted connectors to the wire ends to get the car home. i got lucky, and didn't cause any fires or anything, and it looks like you avoided the same problem....nice catch.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 07:15 PM

Wow man, that sounds insane. I cant imagine fishing anything out of that little grommet hole. How the hell did you see anything lol? Yeah thats a really nice save, Im glad you avoided disaster too.

Well, I guess my only option at this point is to find some containers large enough to hold all of the gas I have left in the tank. Man thats going to suck, I hate gasoline lol Im so paranoid.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 07:19 PM

lets just say i got really good with tiny pick sets. i had to do it by feel, as i couldn't see shit! ...i think you could get those things loose/off without heat or grinding. remember the fumes are what ignite, not the fluid itself. if you just keep PB blasting the nuts, you could probably get the off. at that point, you could pull the sending unit, and fix all that crap the PO did. is that what you're planning?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 07:40 PM

Yeah thats pretty much exactly what I was planning as soon as I figure out what to do with all of that gas. I have to look around tomorrow for gas cans, and something to drain the tank into. Does pepboys or autozone sell something big enough to hold that much gas? Im guessing there is at least 7-8 gallons left in the tank

jepherz
(Too Clean)
05/05/07 08:29 PM

No wonder why DSMs have such a reputation; people skimp on everything they do! Best of luck on the fix!

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 08:35 PM

i wouldn't bother with draining the gas, if you're not gonna use any heat or grinder. if you're really worried, just tape over the grommet hole, or stuff a rag in it or something....you should be good to go. i drilled my studs out when i did mine with fuel in the tank, i just wrapped everything around the sending unit with damp rags, and kept spraying the area down with pb or WD-40. i drilled right through with not an issue. I was worried about the drain plug breaking in the tank, and really didn't want to try to siphon a 1/2 tank of gas with nothing to put it in. you should be fine without draining the tank.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 09:06 PM

Ok cool, but what about when I get the whole assembly out? I can stuff rags into that large opening and not worry about rust and other crap falling into the tank?

When you drilled out the studs on yours, what happened to all of the metal shavings that must have fallen into the tank? The screen on the pump is good enough to block any of that from entering the engine?

Also if I was to goto a junkyard and look for another sending unit, would I be able to use one from an awd t/e/l? I think I remember reading something about them being too long to fit in the galant tank. Thanks again for the input.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 09:13 PM

i just blasted the area off with compressed air really good before i pulled the sending unit. i used a magnet in the tank to grab most of the shavings, but was out of options at the time, so i'm sure there's still some in there. if you're not drilling, don't sweat it. just cover the hole with a rag or something, and set a book or something on it too keep it covered well.

the T/E/L sending units are indeed too long. i think a few guys cut them down, and modded them to work though. it would be best if you can save yours though.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/05/07 09:34 PM

OK sounds like a plan. Man this is going to be really interesting lol. Ill post a bunch of pictures of my progress as its happening.

Im trying to guess why the PO wired it this way to maybe get an idea of whats awaiting me when I get the pump out. At least he included the rewire kit for it so I have that to work with.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/05/07 09:35 PM

good luck, and start PB blasing everything....keep us posted, and if you get stuck, drop a message, or shoot me a PM. have fun!!!

G
(JDM Unit)
05/06/07 03:12 AM

Daaam.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 10:16 AM

Lol, here is a photo update!

Man, in addition to that shitty splice above with the eyelet and post, this is what I found under the rest of the black tape. I cant imagine the losses the current had going through this line:

PB is amazing stuff... I went out and picked up a can of it and 14mm and 3/4 flare wrenches. It was a bitch, but not at all as bad as I was expecting:

Success!! (*edit: my wife said I was stupid for having that picture here lol)

I have taken that post off the 12V line and routed it back through the hole in the top of the plate. I plan on splicing the wire nicely to the source:

Any suggestions?

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/06/07 10:39 AM

i wound up using a bunch of heatshrink tubing over the wire where it passes through the sending unit. i just kept adding a piece, and shrinking it, unti it was coser to the diameter of the hole. i mixed up a little epoxy, and filled in the gap with that. that way its solid, and sealed, and the edge can't cut through the wire...glad you got it apart in one piece. nice work man!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 12:11 PM

Hey thanks a lot!

I am done, everything is back in and I have to connect the battery and give it a shot. Is there anything else I have to do or it will prime itself after trying to start it a few times?

I am really happy with how it came out, thanks a ton for the help VRausch4.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 12:17 PM

should prime on it own with just a second or two delay.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/06/07 12:21 PM

Quote:

I am really happy with how it came out, thanks a ton for the help VRausch4.

no problem. if you have a logger, you can turn the pump on by itself. if not, just crank it over a few times like stated above, and it should be good to go.

ggsxkid
(teh UBer FAIL)
05/06/07 01:45 PM

my sending unit in the gsx is worse than his... i hope the pump doesn't take a shit any time soon!!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 05:21 PM

Lol, the point I was making wasnt really the condition of the sending unit or pump. It was the incredibly horrible hack wiring job that was done. That was the cause of the gas smell in the car and the spilling problem when the tank was full.

I am about to go and start the car now, lol Im nervous.

ggsxkid
(teh UBer FAIL)
05/06/07 05:38 PM

haha no i was talking about my pump taking a shit

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 05:54 PM

Well goddamn it.

Now what. It looks like I will have to replace the sender. Man what a let down.

I started it up and I was happy, went back to look and there was gas streaming down from under the car. I was praying it was just something that was not connected right and it turned out the pipe was cracked. Shit!

ziggydb
(Junior Member)
05/06/07 06:36 PM

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254501

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/07 06:49 PM

Cool thanks Ziggy, I found a how to very similar to that last night and I have been going crazy trying to find it again.

I am going to call Mitsu tomorrow and get blown away by the price of a new sending unit, then I will get on the summit site and order those parts lol.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/06/07 07:21 PM

aw, that sucks man...i was hoping all was well....you can mod it like the directions abouve, or if you order one from the dealer, they are quite pricey, and i think you have to get the stock pump with it as well. i don't remember if they are still available, so keep us posted. good luck!!

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/06/07 08:50 PM

looks like this discussion cost me a new nickname... i liked being the 155mph member...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 06:05 AM

Lol, thats too bad man. How do those things change anyway, do the mods do it i guess?

Ugg, I was wondering if there was a chance they wouldnt even be able to get a new unit. I dont think it matters though, if I heard right they are almost $500 for the assembly with the pump attached (cant get it w/o a stock pump) and I dont think I can drop that cash atm.

I will keep you posted, I tried calling already but nothing is open yet. Also the only assembly that will work is for a VR4 or GSX? Or would a FWD galant have the same setup?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 06:33 AM

Lol, well Im not too optimistic that its the right part but I think they ordered me just the sender (local mitsu dealer). They said it should be here tomorrow.

The first thing he said was "ack" and my heart sank... said it was $610. But then he said wait thats the tank, pump, and sender. A second later he said "nice how does $63 sound". I was like hell yeah!

Man I hope thats the right part lol.

JB
(Other)
05/07/07 07:30 AM

any idea what the tank alone cost?

steveGalant VR4.org Administrator
(Key Fob Guy)
05/07/07 07:37 AM

I hope thats the right part but I'll be very surprised!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 07:53 AM

Yeah same here Steve, the guy sounded pretty knowledgeable and understood what I was looking for, but still it sounds way too good to be true.

Sorry Joe, I dont know how much the tank was alone. Im guessing a couple hundred considering the # he gave me originally.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
05/07/07 07:56 AM

It won't be. Probably the float arm assembly, as the only other component parts available are the gasket and the filter sock, neither of which should be anywhere close to that price.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 09:55 AM

Well we are right its not the correct part. I called him back and confirmed its just the float assembly for the fuel gauge. The whole pump assembly is the only way you can purchase this part.

Wow thats horrible. $610 is the number.

*edit: the part number is MB831333

HertzGalant VR4.org Administrator
(OneTitle to rule them all.)
05/07/07 10:21 AM

you might be able to rebuild the housing...

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/07/07 12:12 PM

+1 i believe you can remove the tube in question, and wld in a -6 an port to tie into the hard line, i think you need an elbow as well, but that would be it....was the link above what showed that?? i know you can only get the sending unit with the pump etc. i ran into the same issue, but was lucky enough to get a new SS unit from Dentsport. this was like 2 years ago though, i din't think they have them still...
sorry to hear, hope you can fix that guy...

(Key Fob Guy)
05/07/07 12:15 PM

^ I too assumed thats what the link was for, but its not. Just another alternative. Check the vfaq for how to repair your housing with a new hard line.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 12:17 PM

Yeah I was thinking about it but I really dont have the time. I need that car done this week, Im starting a new job on monday and I use it as a daily driver. Only a couple miles each way, but I have to be out of my house @ 5:30am to be on time with a car. I really dont want to walk it or make my wife drive me that early.

Also for such a critical item, I dont want to test my limited skills any further with trying to rebuild it. If I had another car, and it was just a project car then yeah I would definitely give it a try.

(Key Fob Guy)
05/07/07 12:28 PM

What are your options? If you have to pay a lot for a good used one, at least it will buy you some time to repair your broken one or send it to someone else who can repair it.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/07/07 12:33 PM

+1 i can't see how you can justify 600+ for one through the dealer. i think you could get it somewhere and have it fixed (new tube welded etc>) for way cheaper. i hope you can work something out, as paying that kinda dough for a sending unit is just nuts....hell, you could replace the tank with a fuel cell, pump, and fittings for that 600. someone's gotta have one they are willing to part with somewhere..

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
05/07/07 12:51 PM

Here's an easy way to fix that cracked fuel line...scroll down a bit until my post(s).

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/07/07 02:14 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. It hurts to say it but I dropped the cash on the new assembly.

I will rebuild the shitty one, but take my time with it and enjoy it instead of stressing out and trying to get it done this week under a time limit (I have 2 other big projects this week). Then I will be able to recoup some of the cost on the new one if that one comes out well enough to sell.

At least the parts guy was really nice and knew about the VR4, he hooked me up with a bit of a discount and it came to just under $600 after the taxes. I got it for 548.39 instead of 609.33

I should have it on Wed, but the latest it will be here is Fri. So knock on wood, I should have everything buttoned up before Monday. We shall see, thanks again you guys.

icurunnin
(GVR4 Pimpin)
05/08/07 07:21 AM

This sounds like fun considering I am about to install my TRE 255lhp fuel pump

(Key Fob Guy)
05/08/07 07:40 AM

If your car is from Texas you'll be fine.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/08/07 07:42 AM

man.. so dont want to change out my fuel pump. looks how yours does. not looking forward to it. goodluck

icurunnin
(GVR4 Pimpin)
05/08/07 09:00 AM

Yup, I bought it from the original owner. It has been on Tx its whole life. We will see how it goes.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/08/07 09:53 AM

Lol yeah it sounds like yours will be much nicer then what I had to deal with. I spoke with the PO and the pump upgrade was done close to 2 years ago lol. Man, I cant believe its been like that for so long with no problems.

Good luck with your project icu.

icurunnin
(GVR4 Pimpin)
05/08/07 11:03 AM

Thanks!!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/09/07 07:11 AM

Woowoo, the part is in. Im going to head down and pick it up sometime this morning so hopefully if everything goes well with the install Ill be running again by lunch. Ill post some finished pics for those of you that need "closure"

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/09/07 09:29 AM

plese do...i keep looking at my new title, and hope it was all worth it...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/09/07 11:12 AM

LMAO yeah Aaron, im sorry about that lol.

Well here is the deal, I was so close to pussing out and leaving the stock pump on there because i was deathly afraid of screwing it up transferring the walbro over. Also the filter on the walbro was disgusting and i didnt know if the stock one would fit. But I stuck with it and set it up beautifully (imho), the stock filter fits fine.

So I tested it and its not actively leaking, but... I didnt use any tape or dope on the fuel fitting threads and it seems like its seeping from there. Its not dripping yet but if I touch it after its been running I feel gas. Is there a special type of dope to use with gas or can i just use what i have? Or did I not tighten it enough, Im nervous to over-tighten lol.

I have a few nice pics that I will upload after I resolve the fitting issue. Thanks again.

Pete

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/09/07 11:43 AM

you can use some pipe dope. alot of guys shy away from thread tape as i think it breaks down. i used that around the lines on my regulator, and they have been fine for 2 yrs. if you have the pipe dope, use a bit of that on the threads, and cinch it down pretty good. i had a few small leaks in other areas when i converted the whole system, but a quick 1/2 turn more and they sealed right up.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/09/07 12:16 PM

Thanks man, i ended up backing the fitting out again and tightened it up and now its not leaking at all, didnt use any dope. woohoo!!

Here are some pics:

Dirty old walbro filter:

Walbro on new assembly:

And here it is installed with no leaks!!

Thanks again for the help Aaron, and thanks to GVR4.org for giving me the confidence to work on my fuel system. Now Im heading down to the junkyard for a good cover, the one I have isnt airtight, I dont know where its from here is a pic:

Bleh I just realized when looking at the pics that I will have to cut that 12V line again to get it through the good cover if I get one, oh well.

Rausch
(Rock Star Status)
05/09/07 12:35 PM

just run a bead of RTV around the flat edge of the cover, and let it set up before you install it. when it's still semi soft, but not sticky, screw it down kinda loose, and let it cure. when thats done (probably overnight) cinch down the screws, and voila! instant sealed gasket! good work, glad we could be of service!

G
(JDM Unit)
05/09/07 04:23 PM

Nice how much was that assembly ?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/09/07 04:44 PM

is it that simple to get to the fuel pump on a 91 talon tsi?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/09/07 05:25 PM

G the assembly was a woppin $548.39 plus tax. Came with the stock fuel pump attached already.

I dont know how simple it is for a talon but I would imagine its the same turnaround time as it was for me. I would guess it depends on where you live, since Im in NYC there might be more options for dealerships to get parts, I dont know. I gave them my vin # and explained what I needed and they got it for me. He printed out a diagram of the part before I paid for it so I knew I was getting what I needed. The guy was really cool and I think he pulled some strings so I was able to get it so fast, otherwise it was going to be here Friday.

G
(JDM Unit)
05/09/07 07:45 PM

Dam i wonder what jnz could get it for ?

(Key Fob Guy)
05/10/07 07:00 AM

So thats what a GVR4 assembly is SUPPOSED to look like. Nice job!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/10/07 08:48 AM

Thanks a lot steve, yeah it does look pretty doesnt it lol

Last night was the big test... I drove out to Jersey to meet up with a friend and I filled the tank! It was amazing I was able to tell them to fill it up and it actually stopped the pump on its own!! Not a drop of gas on the ground and not the slightest hint of gas smell in the car.

Only thing is I might have kinked the O ring on the top of the pump when I installed it into the assembly. When I left the car for over an hour it didnt start on the first turn of the key, but it did right away on the second. I will know for sure when I try to start it this morning.

(Key Fob Guy)
05/10/07 08:57 AM

Cool. When we put my Walbro in, two of the studs broke off (of course two consecutive ones) so the assembly wasn't holding tight. Gas was leaking out when I went around turns. I spent a long time only filling up half a tank before I finally fixed it.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/10/07 09:12 AM

how did you fix it, JB weld?

(Key Fob Guy)
05/10/07 09:22 AM

Yeah I drilled through where the studs broke off and JB Welded a new "stud" (i.e. a bolt inserted up from inside the tank)

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/10/07 09:36 AM

man that sucks, I was worried about that happening as I was tightening it down.

Hey how bad do you think it is to have the connector down under the cover thats in the trunk instead of being in the trunk itself? Mine didnt reach with this cover I have, and I didnt find a good one at the junkyard yesterday. Its just under the cover, doesnt look like it would be exposed to any water or anything there.

(Key Fob Guy)
05/10/07 09:38 AM

You mean the rubber plug/grommet that the wires go through wont be mounted to the cover plate?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/10/07 09:42 AM

yes exactly

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/10/07 01:14 PM

The cover plate I have (see above pic) doesnt have the hole for the plug/grommet thing. It has a bent up lip that allows the wires to go through there. The connector doesnt have enough slack to be on the trunk side of the cover plate so its just under it in the well for the pump assembly.

Its probably just temporary because I want to find the real cover that has the hole for the plug/grommet.

(Key Fob Guy)
05/11/07 07:07 AM

Should be fine, just make sure nothing gets pinched or rubs through.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page