gforce1661
(Newbie)
11/23/19 12:03 PM
Galant vr-4 sitting for a while

I have owned this Galant VR-4 for a least ten years.. Has been sitting at least six years and need help getting it going or getting rid of it.. No start / No power steering / No rear steer / No Brakes

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
11/23/19 02:40 PM
Re: Galant vr-4 sitting for a while

Where to start...

All fluids are crap. Might as well drain the gas tank. Timing belt should probably be done, unless maybe it was done right before parking it.

Before another start attempt, I'd make sure it has fresh gas and oil. I'd pour a little oil down the spark plug wells, wait 30min, take out the MPI fuse and crank over. The piston rings are probably dry and you might not have enough compression. Might need new wires and plugs. Things just wear out and dry rot years of sitting.

You got a lot of work. The good news is, the engine is very stout and likely still usable.

If you get it up and running, the brakes are probably frozen, tires trashed, break fluid gross, coolant bad.

gforce1661
(Newbie)
11/23/19 11:19 PM

Thx for the info... I know these cars can be money pits unfortunately... But it was my dream car... I had a Mitsubishi mechanic but he lost his shop after some things ... Do you know of any mechanics in NYC?

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
11/24/19 07:00 PM

They aren't really money pits, they just don't allow neglect. Compared to a German car, they aren't really that bad, but they do require attention.

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
11/24/19 07:02 PM

Another part that might require attention is the crank pulley. It's not overly expensive, but look for dry rotting.

kdott96
(Junior Member)
11/24/19 08:51 PM

Quoting gforce1661:

I have owned this Galant VR-4 for a least ten years.. Has been sitting at least six years and need help getting it going or getting rid of it.. No start / No power steering / No rear steer / No Brakes

What borough are you in?

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page