PJGross
(both buccal and lingual)
07/20/19 06:38 PM
Newb question: fuel pump test connector location/ pic

Well, my GVR 4 is nearly ready to fire.
Oil primed, etc.
Drained tank, filled with 5 gal premium.

Figured I would try firing on old gas in line: nope.

I disconnected the AN fitting at fuel rail and it is dry.
I cranked a few times and nothing.
I will swap the fuel filter but wanted to make sure the pump is actually running first?

Can someone explain which is the test plug or post a pic, please?
Thanks,
PJ

PJGross
07/20/19 06:56 PM
Re: Newb question: fuel pump test connector location/ pic

Never mind. Hit it with power at the tank harness and nothing. I have an extra pump so I will swap

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
07/20/19 06:58 PM

It's on the fire wall by/behind the brake fluid res., I don't /can't get a picture as im not near a vr4 right now.

When you try to start the car do you hear the MPI click? It's a large gold box under the glove box by your ECU, it controls the fuel pump activation.

PJGross
07/20/19 07:53 PM

I will go listen again. Been so long I forgot what that is. (EDIT: Yes, it clicks just after the starter engages. I think that's right.)

However, with the harness unclipped, I'm pretty sure 12V + to black and white and negative to black is whats necessary to run the pump, and the pump is locked up.

I have a Walbro CSS341 NIB sitting here so might as well upgrade from the 190 that was in it.

I had to order a new filter sock though because mine was MIA.

I loosened all the little screws carefully after lots of PB Blaster. However, the main fuel line fitting wont budge.

My neighbor has a MAP gas can so will hit it with that tomorrow.... but not really happy hitting a fitting connected to a gas tank with heat.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
PJ

transparentdsm
07/20/19 10:46 PM

I do mine with vise grips when they won't budge using the 14mm and 19mm, a pair on each fitting.

PJGross
07/20/19 11:38 PM

I had vice grips on one, I will crank down on both of them and loosen without heat. I will give the pbblaster some more time too

transparentdsm
07/21/19 12:24 AM

I let pb blast soak for 24 hours while hitting it every 4-6.

PJGross
07/21/19 04:46 PM

I put my 14mm flare on, vice grips over it to keep it from spinning, then 3 ft long cheater bars on each side. A little tweak and it was free. Thanks for the input!

Now, do I need to get a new gasket for the fuel pump assembly since it hasn't been apart in 20 years?

-PJ

PJGross
07/21/19 05:06 PM

Never mind, ordered new gasket for piece of mind. With my luck it would have never gone back on correctly and I'd end up waiting on a new one anyway....

-PJ

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page