**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/11/11 02:58 AM
What kind of fmic setup are you running?

I'm thinking about replacing all the crappy stock piping for some hard piping that wont have as many boost leaks and I'm wondering what kinda setup everybody is running. I've noticed a trend of relocating the battery and running the intake to that spot which I think I like. I've read plenty of good things about running ebay cores and that's what I plan on doing again, but I'm unsure about the piping.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/11/11 03:13 AM
Re: What kind of fmic setup are you running?

I have a kit made by JonVr4 that used to be on the boards, its three pieces, and uses a Evo VIII/IX fmic, i maybe selling it soon though and it does have the necessary couplers with it.
-Shane

thedsmguy
(Senior Member)
04/11/11 03:50 AM

Please for shits sake use the damn search. Or at least read a few pages back. We have this question every week it seems.

Chad989of2000
(blows both ways and is skilled in magic with any mention of diarrhea)
04/11/11 10:40 AM

...yeah. You'll see a lot of custom jobs on here as far as fmic setups go. The ETS kit is great and basically plug and play (save for some bumper cutting). The cost is a little steep, but it's well worth the price in terms of function.

524of1000
(Crossed Member)
04/11/11 10:44 AM

I have a Treadstone IC with custom pipes. It fits pretty well I think...

thedsmguy
(Senior Member)
04/11/11 10:59 AM

Ok, well sorry about the gruffness. I'm using a punishment racing 1g fmic core, it fits just right with a little massage on the sides of the ac condenser. But your forced to run a smaller radiator then, I used a Audi 100 core and it seems to work fine being a double pass radiator.

Good luck.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/11/11 11:08 AM

When I search “fmic” these are all the thread titles that show up on the first couple pages:

What kind of fmic setup are you running? (this thread)
Proud new owner of 555/1000 (doesn’t sound like what I’m looking for)
Money pit... (again, not really fmic specific)
Bumper Support Bent. Can the Center Be Removed? (nope, nothing in this one)
aftermarket fog lights (fog lights are nice, but not when I’m searching about fmics)
Bring 1342/2000 back to life (yay for saving a gvr4, but boo for another thread that doesn’t help me)
After a long long time a special GVR4 is out and about. (cool)
Project Log: #594 - 600-650 awhp or BUST!!! (cool thread but again, doesn’t really apply to my search)
Kicking tires again... (still searching for this fmic thread you speak of…)
Sharobious' #103 resto/build (…)
1870/200 resurgence, I.. Live... AGAIN!!1! soon. (…)
1635/2000 Build up thread! (this search thing isn’t producing the results I was hoping for)
Found a GVR4 on autotrader (it’s at this point that I started contemplating creating this thread)
Am I Crazy? STI TMIC as FMIC? ( yahoo! A fmic related thread! …still not what I’m looking for though)
PAGE 2 of searching “fmic”
How expensive is your VR4? (nope, nothing in here)
my vr-4. The pikes peak one. story and build (yet another build thread)
Winter mods- What are you up too? (blizzaks and mudflaps)
I'm at a crossroad now. gm maf or SD (still searching…)
Does the JDM Fmic bolt on without cutting? (you’d think this might have something, but nope…)
Project Thread: 46/1000 - UPDATED 4/8/11 Putting It Together (cool project thread)
New battery location (I like this thread, but it doesn’t help my fmic decision)

At this point I thought it’d be appropriate to create a thread…

Do any of you guys are pictures of different setups? I know with dsms there a "long" and "short" route of piping. Are there different paths to take on the gvr4 that you guys have come up with? Thanks,
-Brian

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/11/11 02:45 PM

When you use the search on this forum put a + before each word. Like this:

+intercooler +ets

Here:

click

click

Some people swear by the ets IC kit, some people make their own or hire a shop to make it custom.

2of9
(Hellaflush)
04/11/11 02:51 PM

I had a shop do my IC pipings. The intercooler itself was given free to me by an old friend which was pretty cool of him to do.

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
04/11/11 03:47 PM

On 802 I'm running an ETS Core with Hot piping and Brodie cold pipes. I had a full Brodie FMIC on 611

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
04/11/11 04:01 PM

Custom ETS core and endtanks with custom pipes.

BrandonEchols
(Snow White)
04/11/11 04:02 PM

Quoting 3of1000:

When you use the search on this forum put a + before each word. Like this:

+intercooler +ets

we really should sticky how to use the search...seems to confuse a lot of people.
Basically, you use the + sign in front of things you want to include, and the - sign in front of things you want to exclude.

so for this, I would search something like "+intercooler -re:"

substitute in "FMIC" or whatever search term you want, I use the "-re:" tag to remove replies from the results, I can read them in the thread, but this way it doesn't show each one as a search result.

Chad989of2000
(blows both ways and is skilled in magic with any mention of diarrhea)
04/11/11 04:03 PM

This is my setup in 141...ETS.

Diego
(Mad Hatter Suite Touche Debackle Guage filled by Justin)
04/11/11 04:30 PM

Custom from AMS in Chicago..... I'm not sure there is many like mine.... period. I'll get pics when I get off

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/11/11 06:26 PM

I have always used an ebay 24x12x3 intercooler on my cars (three GVR4s and one Talon). For the piping I had always gone to a local tunershop to get the piping, however, this time around I made the piping myself.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/11/11 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info on how to search. My bad, this forum is a little different than others I've been on.

Also, there's that big metal bumper beam or w/e right up in the front bumper. Do you guys just mount the intercooler behind that or what?

Thanks,
-Brian

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 12:38 AM

You will need to cut the actual metal support behind the urethane bumper. I think people usually use a plasma cutter, a rotary grinder or maybe a sawzall. I woul dsuggest leaving a strip of metal across the top part of the support if you can so that the top of the urethane bumper doesn't sag. Youre gonna need to cut and test fit, cut and test fit.

Here is another fmic thread, I actually found this by searching on google:

click

I'm pretty sure I have pics of the beam you need to cut and what needs to be cut out of it but I can't find them at the moment.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 12:51 AM

Hey cool, thanks for that link. I'm surprised at how many people are rocking the ETS fmic considering it costs about an arm and a leg.

Tre3zy
(correct me if im rite...Wyldcarz been rolling hard for a long time)
04/12/11 12:54 AM

ETS is pricy i got lucky getting mine for $325 with an HKS BOV but thats just because my homie upgraded to a bigger one.... the ETS is a nice peace and its worth every penny

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 01:08 AM

I don't doubt the ets is a great piece, I just don't think my goals require something that nice. I know a lot of the dsm guys run cheap ebay cores and have no problems with those. I'm a little surprised that the ebay cores aren't as popular on here.

RedTwo
(Rangi Kiwi)
04/12/11 02:53 AM

I can't find my photos but I used to run a 1JZ Supra (Mark 3?) intercooler - flowed top to bottom with a 2" u bend off the turbo and around the radiator and then a pipe that went straight back to the throttle body. Throttle response was pretty crazy

boostedinaz
(Fatty McButterpants)
04/12/11 10:21 AM

Quoting HiImBrian:

I don't doubt the ets is a great piece, I just don't think my goals require something that nice. I know a lot of the dsm guys run cheap ebay cores and have no problems with those. I'm a little surprised that the ebay cores aren't as popular on here.

This is one of the reasons I want another GVR4 and have passed on numerious 1Gs, here they seem to build a higher quality car. Not to say Ebay intercoolers are horrible but there are nicer parts. It also helps the few companies that cater to our car.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 10:53 AM

^ I agree with that, most GVR4 owners are older and have previous experince with DSMs and know what works and what does not work for the car. However, I don't belive your car becomes more high quality with a $900 intercooler kit or high dollar pieces. I have seen the ETS kit in person and I am very impressed with it, but I can get a good core from ebay and weld my owns pipes for $325 and it looks just as good, fits just as snug, and flows just the same if not more. There is my problem, if that is what you call a problem? I suppose if I was unable to do the work myself I would be more tempted to get an ETS kit or $700 exhasut setup etc...

raptorWagon
(less than one year to my birthday)
04/12/11 11:16 AM

I have the ETS kit with a anodized black core and matching black piping, think I paid around $900, that was of course a few years ago when they first started the anodized cores. I paid a friend a case of High Life to cut the support with a torch.

With my JDM bumper on you can't see the intercooler unless your right up on it which is exactly what I wanted, also you don't need to worry about cutting with the JDM bumper since you rid the car of that heavy support.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 01:23 PM

Quoting HiImBrian:

If a ets kit is too rich for your blood you can always pick up an evo 8-9 fmic and have someone local fab you some pipes. Or you can have someone fab you pipes for a neon srt4 fmic.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/12/11 05:23 PM

Quoting Red_Bird:

^ I agree with that, most GVR4 owners are older and have previous experince with DSMs and know what works and what does not work for the car. However, I don't belive your car becomes more high quality with a $900 intercooler kit or high dollar pieces. I have seen the ETS kit in person and I am very impressed with it, but I can get a good core from ebay and weld my owns pipes for $325 and it looks just as good, fits just as snug, and flows just the same if not more. There is my problem, if that is what you call a problem? I suppose if I was unable to do the work myself I would be more tempted to get an ETS kit or $700 exhasut setup etc...

My feelings exactly! I've got access to a nice tig welder and I think it'd be sorta fun to fab up my own kit.

boostin4door
(Member)
04/14/11 06:41 PM

I really like the ETS kit, but i already had a custom kit fabbed up w/a CXRacing core. If your going to go w/a "ebay"fmic. CXRacing cores are the best cores sold on Ebay IMO.

click

what I really like about this core is it's 11"[not typical 12"] tall which is unique and it clears the hood support bracket w/o any cutting. its solid,good welds, thick/durable end tanks.

also...CXRacing has some of the best IC univ.pipe kits out.Good t-bolts & quality couplers.;

click

click

vtecds1
(linkfail)
04/14/11 06:47 PM

I`m running a APEXi Skyline core and custom piping. Looks nice, but there is alot of piping.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/14/11 08:08 PM

spearco 1g street

w/ oil cooler

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/14/11 11:18 PM

Quoting vtecds1:

I`m running a APEXi Skyline core and custom piping. Looks nice, but there is alot of piping.

Pshhh cheap bastard...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/15/11 09:57 AM

Quoting boostin4door:

I really like the ETS kit, but i already had a custom kit fabbed up w/a CXRacing core. If your going to go w/a "ebay"fmic. CXRacing cores are the best cores sold on Ebay IMO.

click

what I really like about this core is it's 11"[not typical 12"] tall which is unique and it clears the hood support bracket w/o any cutting. its solid,good welds, thick/durable end tanks.

also...CXRacing has some of the best IC univ.pipe kits out.Good t-bolts & quality couplers.;

click

click

Awesome! This is what I was looking for thanks. Only thing I notice, is the two links for piping have different bends. I was thinking I'd want a couple straights, a couple 90's, a couple 45s and a U turn for good measure. Maybe I'll make something up on proe just for kicks and giggles.

edit: I was thinking something similar to a kit like this just because the core is a smaller 22x7x2.25. I don't plan to ever make more than 300awhp and would rather not have a large pressure drop from a larger core. What are your thoughts on that?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/15/11 02:02 PM

what turbo are you using?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/15/11 03:57 PM

Just a 14b now with plans to go 16g in the future.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/18/11 07:00 PM

Brian, take note of this thread and the pic of the cut front bumper support:

click

Its a good idea to leave a portion at the top if you can so that the urethane doesn't sag over time. I think that might be welded on though if you look at the other pic in that thread.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/18/11 08:16 PM

My car hasthe whole center missing lol, bough the car that way but I do notice a slight sag in the center.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/18/11 11:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys! I would have probably hacked off as much as possible.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/19/11 06:41 PM

So I've been doing a little reading and I'm curious if anybody has tried running an evo fmic upside down? Since 14bs and 16gs require J pipes which come up off the turbo, it seems like if the evo fmic were flipped so that the endtanks pointed upwards that it would make routing the ic piping easier/better.

p.s. I'm not sure if I've got this search thing down. I tried searching "+evo +fmic -re" and got nothing. I then searched "+evo fmic -re" and got nothing about fmics.

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
04/19/11 07:02 PM

I don't know if this will help but this is what I did. I was afraid of cutting to much of the bumper support away so I used the metal that I cut away to reinforce the bumper, on the top and sides.

You can see on the sides where the ends were boxed off, and the top was reinforced inside the lip which you really can't see. Needless to say its definitely more rigid. I then Por-15'd the whole thing which is the only reason it looks as good as it does.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/19/11 07:14 PM

Quoting HiImBrian:

So I've been doing a little reading and I'm curious if anybody has tried running an evo fmic upside down? Since 14bs and 16gs require J pipes which come up off the turbo, it seems like if the evo fmic were flipped so that the endtanks pointed upwards that it would make routing the ic piping easier/better.

p.s. I'm not sure if I've got this search thing down. I tried searching "+evo +fmic -re" and got nothing. I then searched "+evo fmic -re" and got nothing about fmics.

The jonvr4 fmic kit uses the Evo FMIC upside down

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/19/11 09:07 PM

Thanks guys! Those pics are really helpful, and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about flipping an evo fmic. I didn't realize that evo fmics were going for the $100 range. I feel like you can get a decent fmic off ebay for that price.

524of1000
(Crossed Member)
04/20/11 08:53 AM

The Evo FMIC will flow better than the Ebay core. It has more fins/inch compared to the ebay core. No I'm not just saying this, yes I've run both.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/20/11 12:39 PM

I got both of my Evo fmic cores for free step brother and homie, they both replaced their intercoolers with bigger fmic that utilize the stock end tank locations so that their piping would match as if it were a stock intercooler. With that being said I think you can use any core made for an Evo with the stock location end tanks and flip them with the jonvr4 kit.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/20/11 01:11 PM

bahahahaha! I misread that and thought you meant that a guy by the name of jonvr4 flipped his evo fmic. So I just sent jonvr4 on here a pm lol oops!

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/20/11 01:30 PM

oh he made a short run production of a FMIC kit that uses a Evo Intercooler upside down.

bmxr152
(Member)
04/20/11 02:55 PM

Ive got an EVO 3 fmic made to fit, worked pretty good actually. Here are some pics.

broxma
(retard monkey strength)
04/21/11 04:45 AM

Before I was able to get my current FMIC setup made, I used an Evo FM but I modified the hotside pipe.

I shot it up next to the radiator so the stock location pipe essentially went right into it. Here is a better picture.

That has been replaced with a Custom Bell Intercooler core and custom pipe setup.

I just put an ETS Core on my Evo actually. It is only 3" thick which is not a lot bigger than stock, but the frontal area is much larger and the welds look clean. The quality of the core is very good. The top has a 3/16 top plate with external channels on both top and bottom. The bottom has a brace spanning the lower section, which does pretty much block most of that external channel however. I didn't buy it, but for the 499.00 retail I guess it is alright.

/brox

belize1334
(well bread and nobly conceived)
04/21/11 03:03 PM

I'll make my periodic Water-Air pitch. With this most recent variation I've got a ~300in^3 water/air core and a front heat exchanger that's about 240in^3 with a front area of about 200in^2. From my calcuations this should perform about like an ETS street setup with charge temps in the 120*F range under full boost on a mild turbo. Best of all, if your AC is removed it fits with NO CUTTING OF THE BUMPER since the front heat exchanger fits between the bumper and the radiator in the space left after pull the condenser.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/21/11 04:27 PM

Broxma, that setup is exactly what I'd like to do! What was your reason for changing cores?

Belize1334, I like everything about that water/air setup except I'm not very familiar with it and I think that's probably more of a project than I'd like to take on at this point.

broxma
(retard monkey strength)
04/21/11 08:59 PM

Let's just say price was the biggest thing which made me change, being that it was free. I only had the Evo core on temporarily to get the car moving. The initial intention was the custom core.

/brox

boostin4door
(Member)
04/24/11 05:25 AM

PM sent....

but, something like this will work also & be easy to fit.
click

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/24/11 08:40 AM

im using a slowboy racing 1g talon FMIC, with the end tanks capped and re welded for a gvr4.

this is the only pic i have saved of it installed.

dmj
(Rod Stewart)
04/25/11 02:55 PM

I am Running The CX Racing Ebay special. 3 in thick core. the welding cost me more than the parts as I did one section at a time.

[?id=123553&width=400[/image][/url]

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/26/11 12:04 PM

ok, i see everyone is running the upper intercooler pipe over the exaust manifold. is there any way to NOT to do this? as i know the heat near the manifold is high, and defeats the purpose

Boostdtalon
(Member +++)
04/26/11 12:16 PM

Yes it usually involves running a 1g DSM FMIC setup. Reclocking the turbo is really all thats required. If you plan on running the HX-35 than when you do you piping just clock the turbo inlet down and run it underneath. There was a thread about not going over the top a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.

dmj
(Rod Stewart)
04/26/11 01:28 PM

It defeats nothing. that why you have an intercooler to cool the air coming off the turbo and a heat shield over the exhaust manifold .Are you going to put a heat shield over your down pipe because that where your piping is going to be sitting next to unless you run it true 1G dsm style where both pipes run on the passenger side of the car.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
04/26/11 01:36 PM

The intercooler isnt doing its job if the cold side is the same temp as the hot side. If it were to go over the top, Just like my JonVr4 Kit, or ETS's kit, it would be cooled by the FMIC, so it shouldnt matter if it goes over or under.

asmo
(Junior Member)
11/07/11 11:31 PM

Here's mine I choose to use a smaller cooler, I could'nt bring myself to cut up 1605.
It works great with my 14b the Cooler measures 25"x10"x2"and fits behind the stock bumper.
I just cut and used the stock hoses for now.

IncorpoRatedX
(I'm an idiot...)
11/08/11 12:08 AM

evo 8 fmic click

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/11 01:58 AM

Quoting vr4er:

ok, i see everyone is running the upper intercooler pipe over the exaust manifold. is there any way to NOT to do this? as i know the heat near the manifold is high, and defeats the purpose

You can run the comp housing to ic pipe below the manifold, that's how mine is and I like the look better, cleaner IMO, not to mention with a vented hood you don't have that pipe blocking air flow from the radiator.

As for the heat, no way to get around it, pipe on top over the mani or pipe below mani it still is in a vicinity with tons of heat (manifold and radiator, down pipe etc). I tried to control the heat as best I could by getting a jdm vented hood and by wrapping that ic pipe and my entire exhaust system including manifold with thermotec heat wrap.

bazeng
(work in progress)
11/08/11 09:57 PM

AMG:

bazeng
(work in progress)
11/08/11 09:58 PM

VR4:

kama1
(Member +)
11/09/11 11:53 PM

modded to fit evo 3 specific arc fmic,custom pipes.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/10/11 12:29 AM

It's an Ebay core, 24" x 12" x 3" not including the end tanks. 3" in and out with Ebay universal piping. The setup is slightly different now than in these pics. There is 4 less couplers because some joints were welded, and the cold side piping is 3" from the I/C all the way to the engine. The pics show the old 2.5" into 3" pipe. The hot side piping is 2.5".

4thStroke
(Spence knows tools)
11/10/11 02:50 AM

ETS 4" core with their piping kit.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
11/10/11 02:52 AM

thats where my hella horns are too ^ lol

123abc
(Member)
11/14/11 10:42 AM

Quoting VR-4 Whore:

spearco 1g street

That is exactly what I want to do on my VR4. I already have the short route kit on my Talon that will be losing it's drivetrain to the four doors. Did you find you have to move the Radiator over? I want to use my 1g radiator too, thinking about welding new mounts on the bottom to center the radiator better.

Galantvr4559
(Member +)
11/15/11 10:53 PM

I have a griffin core custom made intercooler for a gvr4. short route version. sorry pics aren't that good they are off my phone. will try to get some more in the next day or so.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/15/11 11:10 PM

Holy giant front mount batman.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page