Mdlimy
(Member)
10/09/15 01:50 PM
Bolt on GVR4 front mount intercoolers

EDIT: I have moved the most current images and information in the top of this post.

****Please Note**** All these parts were built around a usdm galant with usdm bumper and support. I had no access to a JDM bumper therefor I cannot guarantee fitment with a JDM bumper although I do believe it will fit with no issues. I am happy to refund shipping costs and pay for return shipping for the first person that finds out that it doesn't fit.

Intercooler
-Vibrant 12839 600hp core 24" X 8" X 3.5"
-2.5" inlet/outlet
-Requires cutting of bumper support and some trimming of bumper cover
-Clears usdm fog lights
-Works with factory A/C and Radiator
-Works with up and down firing turbos
-$400 +shipping

Piping Kit
-2.5" polished mandrel bent aluminum tubing
-All ends bead rolled
-2.5" aluminum throttle body adaptere
-Silicone couplers
-Stainless Tbolt clamps
-Fits with factory airbox
-connects to factory turbo outlet pipe
-3/8npt IAT bung
-Your choice of any BOV flange
-$380 plus shippin
-$320 plus shipping if you don't need the hot side piping, for those of you that are using bottom firing turbos.

Intercoolers and piping kits are available separately.

I have no idea on shipping costs at this moment.

I don't have all my pictures at the moment, will update this week.

Please note that you DO NOT need to cut your bumper support in half like the pictures, similar trimming as the ETS intercooler is needed.

So, as it appears, ETS will no longer be producing an intercooler for the gvr4. As we know, this leaves very few options for a direct bolt in gvr4 specific intercooler. I am interested in providing something to the community, but I need help from you guys to come up with the criteria.

There is many ways to offer this intercooler, but I would like to not blatantly copy ETS' design, although it is a very simple design and I see no harm in it, they are a local business to me and a large part of the dsm community and I would like to do all I can to respect the time and effort they put into the kit.

That being said...how about we improve on their design and come up with the ultimate bolt in, reasonably priced kit available.

I would like to come up with the most modular setup possible. Meaning, as much of the kit as possible will be usable with BOTH maf and speed density setups, leaving only a couple parts to swap out in order to change setups. This is best for you because its cheaper to convert later and its good for me because it keeps costs down.

Let me know what you guys would like to see the most out of a fmic kit and what the price range should be. Cores can range anywhere from 80 bucks for a Chinese core to about 400 bucks for a nice Spearco core, this obviously drastically changes the cost of a kit.

My plan as of now is to build an intercooler that bolts on and requires only a small amount of trimming to the bumper support. A piping kit that clears all stock components like ac lines, stock air box, etc...

I can also offer intake tubes.

Here is how mine turned out, it is a large 4" core and required gobs of trimming to the bumper cover and removal completly of the support, but im ok with stuff like that. This dimension intercooler might work as a 3" core, but I wont know till I take some measurements.

Give me some ideas....

Heres a couple pictures from a member that bought the first kit and was very helpful in testing fitment! It looks great after he had it powedercoated!

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
10/09/15 02:31 PM
Re: Bolt on GVR4 front mount intercoolers

I would also consider making a nice pipe kit for Evo 8/9 or 10 intercoolers. For a reasonable price that would be a great budget alternative.

I used an old RRE pipe kit with some additional piping to fit my Evo I/C on 855, and would consider adding one to 828 if available.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
10/09/15 03:13 PM

Those mounting ears won't allow fitment with a JDM bumper. I would suggest a different mounting solution to allow it to work with both USDM and JDM bumpers. Perhaps something from the top of the intercooler to the core support and bottom of the intercooler to the lower subframe. I think it's better to use the top and bottom anyway than to allow the weight of the intercooler to hang via the endtanks.

*edit* After rereading I realize that the pics were for your own personal setup. Either way, my suggestions are still useful, IMO.

EMX5636
(Carbon Fiber Cage)
10/09/15 03:28 PM

I will second what Mark said. I usually prefer a couple tabs underneath, and one or two up top off the hood latch support etc. But that is a pretty setup you built. Good job potentially stepping up to fill the shoes of people who can't build their own and want a bolt-on, no hack solution.

Mdlimy
(Member)
10/09/15 04:07 PM

Quoting turbowop:

Those mounting ears won't allow fitment with a JDM bumper. I would suggest a different mounting solution to allow it to work with both USDM and JDM bumpers. Perhaps something from the top of the intercooler to the core support and bottom of the intercooler to the lower subframe. I think it's better to use the top and bottom anyway than to allow the weight of the intercooler to hang via the endtanks.

*edit* After rereading I realize that the pics were for your own personal setup. Either way, my suggestions are still useful, IMO.

This was one of the main things I would change, mounting will most likely be the same as the ets intercoolers unless the size difference does not allow for it. Still great input and exactly what I'm looking for!

I do plan on utilizing a baffle inside the inlet end tank similar to what treadstone offers. I feel this would give my intercoolers a substantial advantage over the rest and really improve cooling.

I have seen a few shootouts between eBay cores and quality cores but I always question the results. I feel like my cxracing core is a fairly decent piece for the price and given the option to spend an extra 300 dollars on a core I don't think I would. What's your guys opinion? Would you rather save 200-300 dollars and sacrifice a little bit of performance?

To be honest I don't think reliability and longevity of the cheap eBay core is an issue...but I don't have any facts to back that up, it's just my gut feeling judging by what I have seen.

I would like to do my own testing....

Mdlimy
(Member)
10/09/15 04:09 PM

Quoting iceman69510:

I would also consider making a nice pipe kit for Evo 8/9 or 10 intercoolers. For a reasonable price that would be a great budget alternative.

I used an old RRE pipe kit with some additional piping to fit my Evo I/C on 855, and would consider adding one to 828 if available.

Great idea! I think my buddy has an Evo fmic I could use, I'll see what I can do.
What would most people pay for a pipe kit that allowed the Evo fmic to bolt on?

car_guy
(Junior Member)
10/10/15 03:04 PM

Right now I'm on my stock MAF but I don't see the point of upgrading the intercooler without going to a larger MAF. Based on my tuners recommendations I am going with a GM MAF. I think there are 3 main BOV flanges but everything I've read says there are 1g style BOVs that will hold to 35 psi, so I'm fine with that. I suppose my preferred option would be a recircultated intake pipe with 1g style BOV and air filter in the factory locations so I don't have to relocate battery and a GM MAF up near the throttlebody elbow. I'm sure a 3.5" core would flow more than enough for 95% of us.

The simplest piping would probably be a GM MAF or SD with the intake pipe where the battery is and a non-recirculated BOV.

car_guy
(Junior Member)
10/12/15 02:31 PM

I was thinking about pricing for you. The VR Speed piping kit sells for $169 and I believe the ETS kit was $369. If you come in anywhere between there you should be fine. Neither of those included an intake pipe. It was intercooler piping only. I believe the intake pipe kit was an additional $269.

CutlassJim
(poop load of room)
10/12/15 02:42 PM

Quoting car_guy:

Right now I'm on my stock MAF but I don't see the point of upgrading the intercooler without going to a larger MAF. Based on my tuners recommendations I am going with a GM MAF. I think there are 3 main BOV flanges but everything I've read says there are 1g style BOVs that will hold to 35 psi, so I'm fine with that. I suppose my preferred option would be a recircultated intake pipe with 1g style BOV and air filter in the factory locations so I don't have to relocate battery and a GM MAF up near the throttlebody elbow. I'm sure a 3.5" core would flow more than enough for 95% of us.

The simplest piping would probably be a GM MAF or SD with the intake pipe where the battery is and a non-recirculated BOV.

Have fun tuning that shitball curve. And make sure to keep the screen in it.

thomcasey
(I ain't no puny human)
10/12/15 02:53 PM

How about one like this? My son got this with a 1g, and I got it from him. It will allow the use of stock piping and routing with just 2 adapters. Very stealth.

car_guy
(Junior Member)
10/12/15 03:01 PM

Here's a thread with some good pictures on the pipe routing: click here
After looking at the size of the filter that came with ETS factory location intake pipe, I'm thinking it might be worth it to relocate the battery to get a decent sized filter on there. Something like this would be great:

With a 4" intake pipe and a longer filter it would flow like crazy.
Could do a shorter filter for 2G MAF or longer filter for SD and GM MAF, similar to this setup:

This looks like a great setup for a GM MAF:

Intercooler might be a bit large to fit behind the bumper, but could work with something a little smaller:

Lots of great setups here: web page

car_guy
(Junior Member)
10/12/15 03:10 PM

Quoting CutlassJim:

Quoting car_guy:

Guys like Scott Laird and Hal Landry don't seem to have a problem tuning with the MAF there If it's ok for them I think it would work for me since Scott does my tuning. Where do you suggest placing the MAF?

Scott's setup, and he doesn't use a screen:

Hal's Setup:

Mdlimy
(Member)
10/13/15 08:58 AM

Incorporating a place for the MAF is not a big deal, the piping will likely be the same with just a section removed to allow two couplers and the maf.

Whether you want to use a draw through maf setup on the intake tube or a blow through on the intercooler pipe is up to you; I will not get into what is better but I will say you will have a harder time trying to find a tuner that is willing and/or capable of tuning a blow through maf compared to a standard draw through or speed density. That being said, I am happy to offer any setup you wish but I don't see many blow through setups being sold in the future.

Intakes can be done a few ways and sizes, not even sure where to start on this one, but I could make just about any setup needed.

Different blow off valve flanges are no problem, I can off any flange I can get my hands on. Location will need to be decided.
A recirc port on the intake tube can also be done, I don't see any issues there.

I think the biggest thing I need to figure out is what brand core to use. This will dictate the price of the kit greatly.

Who would choose a cheaper ebay core to save about $150-$200? For what its worth, i feel the quality of the ebay core that I used is quite good, but I cannot speak for the performance as I have not done any comparative testing.

Robbie

pot
(It's a twee shaker----choot him choot him)
10/17/15 10:06 AM

I'm just curious to hear where your at with this and if you've received enough interest to begin designing a couple different options? I'm looking to finally upgrade my intercooler from the stock set up this winter. Any pictures, progress, or questions you have for the community would be beneficial for all. Thanks for your continued interest in this project Robbie and we all look forward to hearing from you.

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
10/18/15 04:10 PM

for what it's worth, when I had my evo3 16g, I ran 1g DSM style short route piping simply by moving the radiator an inch or so over to the drivers side, and though it doesn't work with A/C (sad to say) short route piping is way better than the default galant route IMO.

donniekak
(Member ++)
10/18/15 04:30 PM

Quoting CutlassJim:

Quoting car_guy:

I run a gm maf on my car at 70lbs/min around 40psi. It works well enough to drive from 500ft above sea level to 8200ft, and from 10* to 120* with zero issues.

Mdlimy
(Member)
10/20/15 10:33 PM

Quoting pot:

I'm just curious to hear where your at with this and if you've received enough interest to begin designing a couple different options? I'm looking to finally upgrade my intercooler from the stock set up this winter. Any pictures, progress, or questions you have for the community would be beneficial for all. Thanks for your continued interest in this project Robbie and we all look forward to hearing from you.

I think I'm just going to go ahead and build a prototype using an ebay core. I am interested to know if people are willing to spend the extra money on a nicer core....

Ill figure out what size core and get it ordered and get going on it, hopefully have some results in a the next couple weeks.

Robbie

Mdlimy
(Member)
10/21/15 11:33 PM

Ok so I have narrowed down some options for cores. Its just up to you guys to help point me in the right direction. I have researched several good quality intercooler companies(bell, greddy, vibrant, treadstone etc...) and the only one that is good quality and still affordable is Treadstone. So I have posted links to the two size options I am looking at, along with a link to a Chinese cxracing core of slightly similar size(pretty much the only dimensions available from them for the 3.5" core)

For reference, the ETS core is 24 x 10 x 3 and requires cutting of the bumper support bar.

click
$241.50
This core is 3.5" X 10.5" X 24". I know that the width will work well as it is the same as mine. The 3.5" core will require 1/2" more cutting in both forward and up directions compared to the ETS.(not a big deal IMO)
This is pretty much the closest dimensions to the ETS intercooler while having the gains of a 3.5" core instead of the 3"

click
$210.00
This is a 3.5" X 8" X 22" core. There will be less surface area than the ETS core but still a 1/2" thicker core. It will also require LESS cutting than the ETS core, in fact it MIGHT not require any(don't quote me yet!) I am fairly certain this intercooler will still perform fairly close to the ETS core because of the increased core thickness. This would be a great option for people that don't want to cut much. In my opinion this would be great if NO cutting was required, but if you have to cut anything at all why not just go all out and remove a couple more inches for a bigger core?

click
$114.00
This is a 3.5" X 8" X 22" core also. Same brand as the one I am using. I see nothing terrible about this core, it looked to be decent quality and welded nice. But I do not have any data to compare it to the other quality cores...Plenty of people online have done the comparisons, but I would like to run some tests of my own eventually. The price difference is quite large. I don't see an issue with it holding up over time, there really isn't much to go wrong, most the time intercooler fail are on the end tanks....This core will most likely be a no go, just keeping the options open.

Prices really depend on how many people are interested but most likely just the intercooler will be the core price plus $200. So that means if I go with a quality Treadstone core I can have a bolt in intercooler available for under $450. If I have something like 10 people interested i could probably knock them out around $400.

The Pipe Kit is a whole different topic. So many different variations.

I think I will make all the hot side piping the same and then I can offer different "adapter" pipes that allow the same hotside piping to be used with different turbos.
I will do something similar for the cold side piping. SD can be one pipe right up to the elbow and Maf will be the same thing with a section removed for the maf. I plan to route the piping to clear the stock filter setup.
Any type of fitting or port can be welded to the pipes, I think I will make all of them with a 3/8" npt bung for an IAT, that way even if you are using MAF you can still use an iat for logging.
I might just stock several different style blow off flanges and weld them on custom to each order...1g, hks, tial, etc.... Is anyone interested in mounting on the intercooler like mine? I would not place in the same location, its too low, but maybe the cold side up top....

I will be making 3" throttle elbows which will be available separate from the kit.

Intake pipe...I would like to make a custom intake for people that dont have a relocated battery...maybe even a heat shield to go with it?
I can also make an intake pipe for those with relocated batteries like my self. These are fairly simple, and will most likely just use a large aem/k&n filter.

Thanks guys
Robbie

car_guy
(Junior Member)
10/22/15 10:04 AM

My $.02

Those all look like great options!
The gearhead in me says that I really want an intercooler that flows 1000cfm, but the realist says that I will never need that much. I want to do it right the first time, and not have to worry about upgrading again if I get more horsepower. But am I realistically going to be over 510hp? Probably not. With that said, it leads me to believe the smaller cores are all I need. If it means an easier install by not having to cut into the bumper support then that's a bonus too.

Now the question is Treadstone or CXRacing. I personally have heard that the end tanks are where the problems are typically found on cheaper intercoolers. Since you are the one doing the end tanks then I don't see that being an issue with the cheaper core. The other issue with cheaper cores is the efficiency. This depends on the number of fins and rows in a given core. Since the number of rows looks to be the same then the only difference to look at would be the density of the fins. From some pictures I've found looking around the interwebs, the density on the fins in the Treadstone seems to be quite a bit higher than on the CXRacing. So while you might actually see more pressure drop across the Treadstone, it's because it is actually cooling better, so the efficiency of the Treadstone, i.e. temperature drop across the intercooler, should be better with the Treadstone. I don't believe the CXRacing is in danger of falling apart, but how much cooling are you really getting from it?

Again from the research I've done, some of which is linked in the thread below, the core thickness seems to be one of the biggest deciding factors on pressure drop, or resistance within the core. By going from a 3" (ETS) to 3.5" you're already helping that.
There are pictures of the 10" Treadstone core on a GVR4 here: click here

Given that the main reason I am upgrading my intercooler is to keep the air as cool as possible, I would prefer to have the Treadstone core for the higher density fins and therefore increased cooling ability.

So now if I'm going to spend the additional money on the Treadstone, why not just spend the extra $31.50 to go ahead and get the bigger intercooler???? So now I've gone full circle and I say I might as well get the 3.5" x 10.5" x 24" Treadstone. Final Answer!

On the piping, for me this is dependent on the price. If it's going to cost an extra $150-$200 for a factory location intake/filter, I can relocate the battery for less than that, so I would just go with a short intake. I love the idea of a heat shield! Heat is the enemy and the more cold air we can actually get the filter to pull in the better off we are. The shield would need to come as close to sealing to the hood as possible in order to isolate the filter. Would you include a port for the PCV breather line?

For the BOV, I would prefer to recirculate, So I wouldn't care whether it was on the intercooler or not as long as it could reach a hose back to the intake. I would think it would be easier for mass production to put it in a location that would work for both recirc. and atmosphere BOV.

galantgti
(Junior Member)
12/02/15 01:01 PM

Any updates on this ?

Mdlimy
(Member)
12/02/15 02:08 PM

Been extremely busy and haven't had the time to make any progress. The biggest hurdle will be finding a stock gvr4 for me to build this all around. My personal car would not be a good candidate for this.

galantgti
(Junior Member)
01/22/16 05:17 AM

Should be possible to find someone with an almost stock gvr4 to help you with this ?

I'm really interested

4g6Tree
(Junior Member)
01/22/16 09:43 AM

I would definitely buy it for that price, provided it'll fit a JDM bumper. It would be nice to have a bolt in kit made by a guy helping they community. ETS trying to get close to a grand for their kit never say right with me.

jeverts
(Member +)
01/22/16 11:28 AM

I have a whole design of my intercooler if you really want I would be happy to give it too you. Granted its made from billet but you can the dimensions of it and go off of that.

Mdlimy
(Member)
01/22/16 01:10 PM

Alright guys, sounds like there are several people interested, I will make an effort to get something going here.

Jverts, I like this idea, it means I wont need to find a car to mock up on. Does your setup fit a 100% stock car? Can you give us some details on it?

383mazda
(Junior Member)
02/03/16 08:41 PM

Add me to the interested list. I've got a bone stock car, but I'm in Texas... Willing to help out though if you need.

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/14/16 02:03 PM

For anyone following this and interested, I just want to check in and let you all know I do still fully intend to pursue this! I have been very busy with my personal car lately and need to get that out of the shop before I can work on this stuff.

I still need to find a Galant to mock this stuff up on but i think when im ready i could probably find one. I intend to do a bit more than just a few of these on the side, infact i plan to kick off my own business very soon, offering several different fabricated parts for this community and others. One of my biggest hurdles right know is finishing designing my company logo so that I have a name on the parts I will be selling.

For anyone interested please do me a favor and send me a PM so I can get an idea of how many people are seriously interested as of now.

Disrupter
(Junior Member)
02/15/16 07:37 AM

I will be looking for FMIC to use with stock frame turbo setup once I get the car running. Wish I was closer, you could have used mine for mock up since it just sits there being sad and stock.

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
02/16/16 08:26 PM

im in for a quality kit. Less cutting the better. Ready to buy ASAP.

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/17/16 12:14 AM

Looking at ordering a couple cores to get a couple of these made for the guys that are real eager. I have decided, no cheap ebay cores, I will be looking for something quality.

Been doing lots of research, and Im not as happy with Treadstone as I thought I was. Mainly looking at garret and precision cores, looking at around $350 for a core, this really drives up the price... Can I get some opinions on this? I want to keep the price affordable but I do not want my name being associated with a crap intercooler. Really looking for a middle ground here where performance and cost even out, but I'm not having much luck.

I value your opinions, I dont want to go through the effort of designing and building a kit that no one is happy to buy.

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
02/18/16 08:54 PM

I would skip the eBay junk. I have no problem paying more for quality stuff. What is the ball park with a quality core for a stock housing turbo ?

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/19/16 09:12 AM

From the information I have gathered, a quality core is going to cost around $400, this makes it pretty much impossible for me to even compete with companies like ETS who use the same quality core but buy them dirt cheap in large quantities. At that price I could barely afford to sell a finished intercooler(not even the piping) for $550, in my opinion that's way too much. I am wanting to keep the entire kit, including all the piping, couplers and hardware around $600-700 with a quality core.

The quality of the core in my opinion comes down to the fin pack design, which determines how efficient the core is. Like I mentioned earlier, I have no issue with the quality of the material or manufacturing of the Chinese cores I have used previously, they just have a terrible straight through fin design which is great for low pressure differential but is terrible for cooling characteristics.

I have some emails out currently trying to source cores with a good fin pack design for a decent price.

Kentstatetsi
(Junior Member)
02/19/16 09:25 PM

going against everything in this thread but I have a 3.5" ETS setup and was wondering if anyone has tried using a vr4 setup on a dsm. I have way too much money into the kit to sell and buy a dsm kit and UPS damaged the outlet on the core. I know the middle hanger mount isn't centered on the core but are the side mounts close?

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
02/20/16 07:59 AM

Could you modifie evo8 intercoolers / piping to make them more of a bolt on ? That would probably be the best bang for the buck for people not wanting to spend 700+ and still be a huge improvement over stock

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/20/16 09:44 PM

Yes, I plan on making piping kits and mounts to make evo 8 intercoolers bolt on, I already have an intercooler. My biggest issue is finding a stock or relatively stock galant locally...

jepherz
(Too Clean)
02/21/16 09:35 AM

Are evo8's plentiful enough to find though? I would think wven an ebay bar and plate is a huge improvement over an evo cooler.

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/21/16 12:16 PM

I see them between $50-$100 quite often. I would much rather provide a quality pipe kit that fits an oem intercooler than provide a cheap eBay intercooler that people will give me bad reviews about.

I think I have found a good design core for a decent price. Hopefully I can make some progress on these very soon.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
02/21/16 02:31 PM

Quoting jepherz:

Are evo8's plentiful enough to find though? I would think wven an ebay bar and plate is a huge improvement over an evo cooler.

^Agreed.

The core specs, core design, fin density, and end tank design are what really matter, not necessarily who makes it. I think most people would be hard pressed to show a measurable difference in performance between a name brand intercooler, and a well designed Ebay core. All the cores are coming form the same fucking factory in China anyways, so I have a hard time paying the markup when you're not really getting anything more for your money.

I had my setup built around an aftermarket "Ebay" Evo 8 core, and it performs awesome.

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
02/21/16 03:23 PM

Treadstone is what JPC uses in the Coyote turbo kit. Flows pretty good for up to 1000 hp for my buddy. They had to switch it out because it created too much backpressure with the 3" inlet and outlet above 18 psi I believe. But at that psi he was over 1000 hp.

click

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/21/16 04:17 PM

You are correct, the design of the core is everything and like I mentioned previously, i have had no issues with quality of my ebay core. I have had no luck finding a well designed core on eBay they are all straight through fin design, if you know of one, please share.

I will be testing out some different core designs and endtank designs to see what works best before settling on a final design.

I plan to put together a piping kit that allows fitment of an evo 8 intercooler. If people want to use that kit with a used stock evo 8 intercooler that is fine. If they want to use the kit with an ebay evo 8 intercooler thats fine also. My point here is that I will only be offering the pipeing kit only which leaves the quality of the intercooler up to the end user.

I will also be offering a full bolt intercooler kit that will compete with what ETS has now discontinued. In order to do this I need a well designed core that performs like the ETS core. Like I have said before, I would like to keep the price low, but I have decided I am not going to sacrifice quality or performance. My main concern is offering a product that performs very well, since we no longer have the option of buying such a kit from ETS, and I beleive I can get close to this and save everyone some money. If you are looking to save a few bucks then I will have the piping available to be used with an off the shelf ebay evo intercooler.

Horsepower ratings are generally only taking into account flow. Just because a motor produces 1000hp with a certain intercooler does not necessarily mean it is efficient at cooling. Intercooler's primary function are cooling, and having a straight through fin design that flows well with low back pressure is not going to cool as well as an intercooler with a staggered fin design. There must be a balance between the two.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
02/21/16 07:54 PM

I completely agree. You'll probably be hard pressed to find an Ebay core that's not a straight through design. That's pretty common for the lower end cores. As you know though, that's also the difference between many of the name brand cores that use staggered fin packs and such, which makes for a much more efficient core. Hence, one of the reasons for the huge price tag on the ETS cores. I think the list of cores you posted earlier covered a pretty good range of quality vs. price.

The straight through fin designs aren't all bad. They are less efficient, but like you said, they flow better with less pressure drop. Getting the best of both worlds takes a lot of R&D, which again, is why ETS kits cost a fortune. Their cores are made for specific platforms, which each use tailored core designs.

Overall, I think some of the lower end cores would perform well enough for most builds I've seen here. If you pair up a lower end core with good short route piping and well designed end tanks, you'll have a setup that performs nicely for a reasonable price. Finding a balance between price, quality, and performance that pleases the masses is gonna be difficult, though. You got your work cut out for you, that's for sure.

If it were me, I'd concentrate on making a kit that appeals to the most people by incorporating the following:

-Works on both JDM and USDM bumpers
-Short route piping that doesn't require cutting
-Retains A/C
-Can be easily configured for a recirc BOV or SD

...I'd buy the shittiest Ebay core ever if it had a set of Jeverts' end tanks on it

desant78
(Member ++)
02/21/16 10:25 PM

I've used plenty of ebay cores, and they have done the job just fine for most drag racing/street applications.

I'd make the argument that a quality core's performance will only be noticed by someone who road races, so WOT at 20 mins sessions. If the car isn't used in such an aggressive, long time period I don't believe a driver will notice the difference from a $100 dollar core to a $500 dollar core of same dimensions and end tanks.

Road Race Engineering has a good write up making a similar argument, claiming the performance gains from a larger core on the street were mostly due to the fact the core had the ability to absorb more heat in a faster manner, and any aero-cooling effects were not even noticed.

That being said, I am not saying "ebay parts are best!" I'm just saying the difference in performance will be only noticed on a circuit track. Good luck with the kit!

P.S.-- I had the same idea to make a IC kit for the forum, but you did beat me it to it and since I try to live life not as a huge jerk I won't be attempting to make a kit to compete with yours OP. (Unless you decide to 100% give up on this idea, then please let me know!). Since I had a similar idea, I'll share this quick thought.

The stock EVO 8/9 end tanks force your hand with IC pipe routing. If you offering a package, I think it'd be a better product for the forum to either

a) buy evo 8/9 cores and modify them for your kit or b) buy evo 8/9 cores off of ebay, and modify them. Good luck, the community needs this! It's looking well thought out and promising so far!

JoeDaddy0
(Junior Member)
03/01/16 05:32 PM

Hi I'm near you in Eugene OR and need intercooler +piping . Pot said to contact you. I have a JDM intercooler of sorts but piping sucks and I want to use original fog lights. PM me please

JoeDaddy0
(Junior Member)
03/01/16 06:47 PM

They don't manufacture the tubing anymore so they probably just have left over intercooler inventory . I cant believe they are manufacture them per order. If you get enough orders here to take all of ETS inventory for Gvr4 and sell a crap load of piping with them. I'm sure they will give you a hell of a price if you move them onto the board. Their inventory may be so limited you will be making them in no time.

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
03/08/16 09:30 PM

any updates on this?

Mdlimy
(Member)
03/08/16 10:50 PM

I have a 24x8x3.5" vibrant core on the way. Found a nice local Galant owner to let me have has car for mock up of the intercooler kit. I hope to have something sorted out soon.

I will be mocking up with stock turbo and also with a bottom mount holset on an aftermarket t3 manifold. More info when I get the car here in the shop and start working on it.

I also have a sample core that I spec'd out, will be interesting to see the quality and finish of that core, could be a good option for us.

None the less, parts on the way with a car for mock up lined up!

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
03/11/16 10:42 AM

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
04/01/16 07:36 PM

checking in for some updates

Mdlimy
(Member)
04/03/16 10:55 PM

The car for mock up is planned to be delivered this coming weekend, should be able to start on it soon after.

If you are ready for an intercooler kit, please pm me and let me know exactly what your current setup is so I can ensure it fits.

The goal is to come up with a setup that I can swap single pieces out of depending on what your specific setup is. But for the time being I will make them somewhat custom to each order to ensure they work perfect and get everyone's input.

pot
04/04/16 03:04 PM

I called ETS last week to hear it from the horse' proverbial mouth to confirm a few things. One, they no longer offer the piping kit to go w/ their galant vr4 specific core. Two, they disposed of their jig and/or didn't make one. Three, not even a group buy will resurrect their piping kit. Therefore you can 100% count me in. If you rip off their design or improve upon it that'd be for the better.

If you'd like a deposit please let me know. I'm looking for a piping kit to match my EVO III 16g and clear my factory A/C. I would also look to you for an intake tube but I'll hold squat on that until I transition to Speed Density. In the interim I'd like my piping to clear a possible intake fabricated by yourself.

In addition, I would preferably like to use a 2-216 Spearco Core in lieu of any other core/brand. Please let me know if this is a reality. This message may have been better relegated to a Personal Message however I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on this matter with the other gents on here. Please advise

faqinshiet
(Member +)
04/04/16 05:18 PM

^ agree with pot would like to see a sd intake. I may have to relocate my battery soon too. I have a ets intake sitting waiting but will have to see.

Mdlimy
(Member)
04/04/16 08:22 PM

Quoting Pot:

I called ETS last week to hear it from the horse' proverbial mouth to confirm a few things. One, they no longer offer the piping kit to go w/ their galant vr4 specific core. Two, they disposed of their jig and/or didn't make one. Three, not even a group buy will resurrect their piping kit. Therefore you can 100% count me in. If you rip off their design or improve upon it that'd be for the better.

If you'd like a deposit please let me know. I'm looking for a piping kit to match my EVO III 16g and clear my factory A/C. I would also look to you for an intake tube but I'll hold squat on that until I transition to Speed Density. In the interim I'd like my piping to clear a possible intake fabricated by yourself.

In addition, I would preferably like to use a 2-216 Spearco Core in lieu of any other core/brand. Please let me know if this is a reality. This message may have been better relegated to a Personal Message however I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on this matter with the other gents on here. Please advise

Good info!

Are you thinking a something similar to Mark's setup on 1051? According to him, his setup allows clearance for both usdm and jdm bumpers, a/c and fogs.

I'm happy to use any core anyone chooses. I would like to try and keep sizes similar so that my end tank designs and piping don't change but I'm OK with small adjustments.

Ben Hayes has kindly agreed to bring me his Galant for mock up. I will be building around a stock usdm front end, with stock size radiator and a/c. I will have several different turbo setups I can build different pipe kits for including bottom mount holsets, stock td05 turbos, and other t3 bottom mount setups. We plan to have the car here towards the end of the week for me to start on this project.

Thank you for all your patience, I know there are several of you that are really chomping at the bit. I am a one man band with many other customer projects going on right now along with working a full time job (hope to make the transition away from that sooner than later and focus on this stuff). I hope to complete the current job by the end of the week and be able to dedicate 100% to this.

Robbie

jryKC
(Newbie)
04/30/16 01:22 PM

This is a fantastic project! Keep up the good work.

Yohler
(Junior Member)
04/30/16 04:42 PM

Following this closely. Looks like a nice start to a great project.

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
05/21/16 12:14 PM

any updates with pics yet?

Mdlimy
(Member)
05/24/16 11:03 AM

Got end tank parts today finally! I plan on getting the core all welded up tonight and then I can start pipe routing and figure out how to clear fogs.

Sorry for the slow progress, I have literally been waiting for these laser cut parts for over 2 weeks and before that just struggling to get caught up!

This prototype will be built around a vibrant 24"x8"x3.5" core. I plan to build most of the intercoolers with this core. I am happy to use any other core(of better quality)if the buyer pays the difference and only if the exact same dimensions are available. Still open for discussion on the whole project but lets wait until I have a finished setup with some pictures!

4g6Tree
(Junior Member)
05/24/16 11:07 AM

Awesome man, glad to see you're still at it. Are you only making kits for mitsu style compressor outlets or are you planning anything for downfiring turbos?

Mdlimy
(Member)
05/24/16 01:31 PM

I plan to offer a core that has an inlet orientated for a top and bottom firing turbo, I might be able to make them the same if the piping takes it into account.

Snook1345
(Junior Member)
05/24/16 10:23 PM

Awesome, will be waiting for this for sure. Any idea on pricing?

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
06/04/16 09:12 AM

Found this today. It's pricey, but looks like a really nice kit. Bolt on, and retains A/C from the looks of the pictures.

Plazmaman-Mitsubishi-Galant-VR4-E39A-Pro-Series-Intercooler-Kit

For sale on Ebay

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
06/04/16 12:05 PM

What was the possibility of the US total being $1051?

4g6Tree
(Junior Member)
06/05/16 09:39 AM

Slim to none considering you have to contact them for a shipping quote to anywhere outside of Australia.

With Mdlimy putting in the work for the community trying to make a kit around $450, spending over a grand + shipping from Australia seems nuts.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
06/06/16 12:30 AM

Quoting marvinmadman:

What was the possibility of the US total being $1051?

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
06/06/16 09:13 AM

At least someone gets it

Mdlimy
(Member)
06/14/16 11:32 PM

Still plugging away. Intercooler is done. Hot side piping is just about done. Just realized I need flanges for the throttle body, will draw it up and have them water jet cut. Thanks for being patient guys, I have been extremely busy, and only getting more busy everyday!

Robbie

Mdlimy
(Member)
06/14/16 11:34 PM

No you don't need to cut the bumper support in half, just remove enough to fit the intercooler. I couldn't be bothered, so I cut it in half with the chop saw
This kit will clear fogs, I have no way of telling weather it will clear jdm bumpers, can any one think of an easy way to tell rather than mocking up a jdm bumper?

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
06/15/16 11:47 AM

I'm interested in a kit for AC with a downfiring turbo. FP Red. I have a custom kit but would be looking to replace it of the price is right.

Mdlimy
(Member)
06/16/16 08:57 AM

Keeping pricing as low as I originally wanted is not going to be possible. With the core costing $204 it means I need to sell the complete intercooler for at least $400 before shipping to make any money.

On top of that, the piping kit is needed. The cost of tubing, bov flanges, custom cut throttle flanges, etc ends up being more than I anticipated and at $300 bucks I'm barely clearing my time.

The last biggest hurdle is the hot side piping. I simply do not have the means or time to mock up piping on different types of turbos. But I can offer an intercooler with two different inlets for both top and bottom firing turbos. I could include a generic peice of piping to get you over to the turbo, but a little work would be required here. I am open to suggestions.

Cold side piping will be direct fit, and will clear fog lights, stock air filter and stock location and size battery. It will include a new throttle body flange similar to the ets kit.

With that being said, who is still interested at those prices? I will only being doing a small run of them, only for people here on the forum, once I have fulfilled those orders I most likely wont be making any more for a while. At least not until I get settled into a new shop.

If you 100% want one please let me know the following

-Top or bottom firing turbo
-which blow off valve?
-does your bov recirc?(if so, what size is the od of the port and how far from the bov center is it)
-Iat port or other weld in threaded bung?
-blow through maf?( i will leave a section out for you to install the maf inline with couplers)

LT1UltraZ
(Junior Member)
06/16/16 07:38 PM

put me down for one

stock BOV (recirculate)
thread bung for meth nozzle.
68HTA turbo
EVO MAS.

Munky
(Newbie)
06/18/16 12:37 AM

I would be interested in just a Intercooler if possible.

galantgti
(Junior Member)
06/21/16 05:50 PM

So, the total amount is going to be around 700-ish? Or is there any other big amount coming on top of that? If we are talking about 700-800 bucks; I'm interested.

If it would be a lot more I would be interested as well; just wouldn't have the cash on hand at the moment

4g6Tree
(Junior Member)
06/24/16 07:24 AM

I'm interested in the intercooler and 16g outlet to intercooler parts. Previous owner welded a battery tray back near the firewall that will probably interfere with your piping on that side.

ty_miggy
(Newbie)
06/24/16 12:14 PM

Perfect! I couldn't have come across this at a better time. I'm very interested in one!

Mdlimy
(Member)
06/24/16 12:32 PM

I am waiting on parts to be laser cut and formed at the moment, still several weeks out, but definitely making good progress and on the road to getting this done!

Quoting Munky:

I would be interested in just a Intercooler if possible.

Yes, just the intercooler will be available, just choose whether you will be using a top or bottom firing turbo.

Quoting LT1UltraZ:

put me down for one

stock BOV (recirculate)
thread bung for meth nozzle.
68HTA turbo
EVO MAS.

Send me a PM so we can figure out maf size and location for bov and wm nozzle.

Quoting galantgti:

So, the total amount is going to be around 700-ish? Or is there any other big amount coming on top of that? If we are talking about 700-800 bucks; I'm interested.

If it would be a lot more I would be interested as well; just wouldn't have the cash on hand at the moment

The last prices I mentioned should be pretty close for the core, the pricing may change a bit for the piping depending on a few things, i'm doing my best to keep cost down so I can pass that on to everyone.

Quoting 4g6Tree:

I'm interested in the intercooler and 16g outlet to intercooler parts. Previous owner welded a battery tray back near the firewall that will probably interfere with your piping on that side.

Send me a picture and I can tell you if it will be an issue, the elbow coming off the throttle body will be very similar to the ETS elbow.

383mazda
(Junior Member)
06/29/16 12:07 PM

LOOKS GREAT! Definitely interested in I/C by itself

-For top firing turbo (stock now, upgrade to HTA68 or FP Green later on)

Pipes I'd want would be for stock BOV and Evo Maf (but I'll probably do the pipes myself)

turdb0
(Junior Member)
06/29/16 01:36 PM

Just chiming in with some info:
I built my own IC with a welder friend back in 2000. Wish I had taken more pictures, but back in 2000, I had to borrow a shitty digital camera. Now I need find them!!!
Bought parts from RRE - Used a Griffin side-side flow core (it fits in the same place you put it and it was a little bit taller than yours) and HKS endtanks. I think the core/endtanks are still listed here: click
We welded the tab exactly where you have it, off that hood release latch (I had to trim a little bit of it off). The bottom bracket was bolted somewhere on the bottom of the frame.
The in/out piping was exactly as you have it. I only had a 16G, so just used a 2.5" to 2" reducer for the stock little pipe section to compressor housing. I think you might be able to use a 2G J-pipe, chop it and re-weld it for a slightly better flow.
I had battery relocated to rear and 2G maf/intake so the upper IC pipe was routed under the intake pipe, and took the stock routing to the IC. I was able to retain stock fogs and A/C.

ty_miggy
(Newbie)
07/18/16 12:51 PM

Any updates?

Mdlimy
(Member)
07/19/16 04:45 PM

Invoice literally just came through 5 minutes ago for my parts. I will be picking them up on friday and finishing up the prototype hopefully this weekend and posting pictures.

I will then be accepting payment for orders with an apprx 2-3wk lead time from the time payed. Unfortunately I have already spent a lot on parts for this project and cant afford to invest anymore until I have confirmed orders placed and payed for.

Ive got enough parts for 10 intercoolers, once I'm out I wont be doing anymore. Unfortunately I just cant make enough on these to make it worth my time.

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
07/19/16 05:20 PM

I'm in for some pics!

383mazda
(Junior Member)
07/20/16 09:59 AM

Count me in for one of those 10 intercoolers please

Mdlimy
(Member)
07/27/16 09:41 AM

Guys, lets get a bit of a format here for confirming what you want, Im having a hell of a time digging through all my pm's and I need to order up bov flanges and misc bungs to complete these orders.
Please Post in the following format, forgive me if you have already taken the time to pm me this information.

-Intercooler inlet pipe position, Firing up or Down? (down for down facing turbos, up for stock like setups)
-Speed Density or blow through MAF?
-If blow through Maf, Total length of maf and size of inlet and outlet? (location will be in cold side intercooler piping about 4" from throttle elbow)
-Type of BOV flange?
-IAT sensor bung? If so, what size?(standard is 3/8npt)
-Water/Meth bung? If so, what size/type?
-USDM or JDM bumper?

I cannot do anything for a Bov recirc port at this time since I a wont be doing intakes right away. That being said I am more than happy to weld on a bung to your existing intake pipe if you send it to me.

Price will fluctuate slightly depending on what options you choose for the piping. I will stick to keeping the Intercoolers at $400 for either top or bottom firing since that was the price I have been trying to target.

Piping kit is going to be more like $300 for bare bones setup and will go up for each addition option you need added. I figure a max of $400.

I hope to have the prototype kit finished this week, just need to pick up a 1g throttle body for mock up.

There is one thing I need to confirm. I will be including a 2.5" 90 degree throttle body elbow that fits on the stock throttle body, similar to what ETS was selling, is this a problem for anyone?(maybe if your running an s90 or different manifold?)

Fresh off the laser and press brake

And a new bead roller so we can have some pretty and properly rolled beads for the big boost!

If you are interested in seeing some of the other work I'm up to and what I'm capable of, you can follow me on Facebook and Instagram, just search Barber Design and Fabrication!

Hope I can get this project finished up soon for you guys!

4g6Tree
(Junior Member)
07/27/16 11:41 AM

Put me down for one.

-Intercooler inlet pipe position, Firing up or Down? Up firing
-Speed Density or blow through MAF? Speed density
-If blow through Maf, Total length of maf and size of inlet and outlet? No MAF
-Type of BOV flange? Greddy
-IAT sensor bung? Yes, 3/8NPT
-Water/Meth bung? No
-USDM or JDM bumper? JDM

805vr4
(Newbie)
08/25/16 06:20 PM

Is there any pictures of the prototype? Is there still goals of building a custom intake?

Mdlimy
(Member)
12/03/16 01:16 AM

I wonder if anyone is still interested in these...Anyways, I'm pretty much done with the first one and all the fixtures/jigs to get going on them. I apologize for how long it has taken.

I have enough parts to complete an initial run of 8 intercoolers and I only intend to do that many at first. I have only two cores in stock at the moment, I will need to order more once I have confirmed orders.

Figure a 2 week lead time on both intercoolers and piping kits. This allows me time to receive material and build them. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot stock all this material but once a few are sold ill try to get a good batch done at once.

Here is the final information about the kits.

-I wont be able to offer a blow through maf setup, just speed density piping

****Please Note**** All these parts were built around a usdm galant with usdm bumper and support. I had no access to a JDM bumper therefor I cannot guarantee fitment with a JDM bumper although I do believe it will fit with no issues. I am happy to refund shipping costs and pay for return shipping for the first person that finds out that it doesn't fit.

Intercooler
-Vibrant 12839 600hp core 24" X 8" X 3.5"
-2.5" inlet/outlet
-Requires cutting of bumper support and some trimming of bumper cover
-Clears usdm fog lights
-Works with factory A/C and Radiator
-Works with up and down firing turbos
-$400 +shipping

Piping Kit
-2.5" polished mandrel bent aluminum tubing
-All ends bead rolled
-2.5" aluminum throttle body adaptere
-Silicone couplers
-Stainless Tbolt clamps
-Fits with factory airbox
-connects to factory turbo outlet pipe
-3/8npt IAT bung
-Your choice of any BOV flange
-$380 plus shippin
-$320 plus shipping if you don't need the hot side piping, for those of you that are using bottom firing turbos.

Intercoolers and piping kits are available separately.

I have no idea on shipping costs at this moment.

I don't have all my pictures at the moment, will update this week.

Please note that you DO NOT need to cut your bumper support in half like the pictures.

Please let me know If you guys have any questions or concerns. I will be trying to respond to those of you that have previously pmed me with interest.

Ben
(Member)
12/03/16 08:19 AM

I applaud the time and effort you put into this.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/03/16 09:15 AM

Wow. $400 + shipping is dirt cheap. Nice work.

idreamidrive
(Member +)
12/06/16 01:16 PM

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Looks like $400 is just for the intercooler, it would be $780 + shipping for the intercooler and plumbing if I am reading this correctly.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/06/16 03:05 PM

^ You right. Reading is hard.

Mdlimy
(Member)
12/06/16 07:21 PM

Quoting idreamidrive:

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Looks like $400 is just for the intercooler, it would be $780 + shipping for the intercooler and plumbing if I am reading this correctly.

Correct. This is not far from the original numbers i was spit balling. Is this too much? I have some wiggle room but this stuff isn't cheap to make when we are talking about a $200+ core.
Seems like no one is interested anymore

pot
12/07/16 06:48 AM

Most board members "should" realize fabrication time and cost of materials isn't cheap. I would lean more towards the time of year than the lack of interest. For example, I would like to purchase a kit from you with a Spearco 212 Core, piping for a stock appearing turbo and non-turbo throttlebody however I just have to wait until the Holiday is over. In the meantime I didn't want to waste your time so I haven't personally engaged you.

Again, I think there is plenty of interest its just the timing that is troublesome for everybody.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/07/16 11:54 AM

Quoting Mdlimy:

Correct. This is not far from the original numbers i was spit balling. Is this too much? I have some wiggle room but this stuff isn't cheap to make when we are talking about a $200+ core.
Seems like no one is interested anymore

Welcome to making products for the "DSM" community.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
12/07/16 03:09 PM

Wait for tax time.

Mdlimy
(Member)
12/09/16 02:18 PM

Thanks for the support guys, you are right, this time of the year is not great for these types of sale. Ill wait it out, they will all sell eventually anyways.

KiNgMaRtY
(Member +++)
02/09/17 01:57 PM

Looks like a nice kit. Now that the ETS kit is no longer available, this is a nice alternative. I would put it up on Ebay for some more exposure and onto the Facebook pages. Sadly not enough owners visit the forum as much as the facebook page nowadays.

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/09/17 06:06 PM

Planning on posting it on facebook and ebay but right Id like to get a couple more built first so they are ready to ship.

I hate the fact that Facebook is replacing forums, Forums are such a tighter community for people that are regular posters, much more of a family feel.

galantgti
(Junior Member)
02/14/17 05:11 AM

Still interested. Give me a month or 1,5; and I'll buy a set of you're willing to ship to the Netherlands.

Renovating the house turned out a bit more expensive than calculated; as always

Mdlimy
(Member)
02/14/17 12:14 PM

Happy to ship internationally, although the cost might be quite high. Planning on knocking out a couple more kits this weekend!

Seejakob94
(Newbie)
06/09/17 06:46 PM

Still happen to sell this intercooler and piping kits?

paul j
(Member)
05/01/18 11:40 PM

Are you still going to build a couple of these for us who are interested?

arapp
(Newbie)
05/17/18 12:24 PM

Im interested also

Slow2Roll
(Newbie)
09/04/19 05:47 PM

Ready to send you money. You still doing this?

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page