You think you have rust?

I present to you 924/1000:

Still going strong.

Not that competitive at the autox though

IncorpoRatedX
(I'm an idiot...)
08/26/13 10:37 PM
Re: You think you have rust?

holy shit, these cars are getting rough.

here i sit with three mostly rust free chassis' in my driveway....

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
08/26/13 10:57 PM

i know i have 3 as well, one is a car im working on for someone, but still 3 mostly rust free VR4's.

Chi271
(Junior Member)
08/26/13 11:13 PM

So innocent on the outside.. that side shot makes her worthy to fix..well to some maybe lol.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/27/13 12:03 AM

Quoting Alpha Male:

holy shit, these cars are getting rough.

Lots of rusty cars in the spotlight lately.

bobdole
(Old member with new to me VR4 and starting over. Respect your elders kids)
08/27/13 12:08 AM

I don't like seeing all these rust pictures.

Gizmovr4
(Member +)
08/27/13 07:18 AM

Rotchester, NY

kama1
(Member +)
08/27/13 08:38 AM

Wow,my 1st vr4 had rust exactly where yours is.but mine had a bit more:(
Re shell and move on.

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
08/27/13 09:12 AM

Gee golly gosh

BPU925
(Member)
08/27/13 09:38 AM

wow!

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
08/27/13 10:50 AM

Throw some flares on this thing

G
(JDM Unit)
08/27/13 06:42 PM

That look's pretty bad, I guess ride that thing till the wheels fall off.

donkeylips
(Swapped Female Parts)
08/27/13 08:41 PM

That's been the plan for some time now and it's been working wonderfully. If it completely cracks in half and I still live in a region that has snow I might re-shell to a 1g DSM or another semi-rusty vr4. Otherwise I'll find something clean to re-shell to. I love this car and really wish I could find a clean BG A72 replacement.

992gnt
(Junior Member)
08/27/13 09:32 PM

Sounds like some of you need to quit hoarding all the clean shells! Mine isn't quite as bad as the OP's, but it's getting close!

G
(JDM Unit)
08/27/13 11:00 PM

You need to buy one from the west coast and not drive it in winter!

donkeylips
(Swapped Female Parts)
08/27/13 11:28 PM

You're preaching to the choir.
Trust me, I would never a clean vr4 in the snow. I've gone very far out of my way to store my rust free cars. I own 6 cars and only 2 of them will ever see snow. I have a horribly ugly 1g with 192k on it that I even store because it has zero rust.

The problem is that getting one within the budget that can be driven that far is impossible. Shipping is expensive. Even for an intelligent person that is great at planning, its a logistics nightmare. Sellers are usually terrible and they never take good pictures.

donkeylips
(Swapped Female Parts)
08/27/13 11:37 PM

I think that pictures of rust trouble areas should be mandatory in the for sale section. Just like adding a price and location. Look at every thread. Everyone is asking the same question. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. It would really streamline things.
You already can't post a car for sale without underbody pics. Let's just make it official.

I was interested in a car on here recently and the seller was either clueless, a horrible photographer, or both. The seller advertised the car as completely rust free, but in one of the terrible pictures you sent me you could clearly see that it was a mess.

992gnt
(Junior Member)
08/28/13 06:03 AM

Isn't that the truth. I've been chasing down shells for 2 weeks now. Can't get replies to emails or PM's, can't get pictures of what I really need to see, and a shell that is more than a couple hundred miles away becomes a logistical nightmare. Would you send $1k to the other side of the country without seeing what you need to see with your own eyes? And then add in the transportation costs for a cross country move and suddenly you're working with a $2k shell, that may or may not arrive as a basket case. It's very frustrating.

DynastyLCD
(Dissapointing Member)
08/28/13 02:57 PM

Quoting donkeylips:

I think that pictures of rust trouble areas should be mandatory in the for sale section. Just like adding a price and location. Look at every thread. Everyone is asking the same question. I don't think there are any exceptions to this. It would really streamline things.
You already can't post a car for sale without underbody pics. Let's just make it official.

^this x1000000000. would have saved me a trip to Maine for 73 which was sooooo perfectly clean and mint according to the PO...

3rdstrikedsm
(Now mandatory for Wendy's Chili to come with cheese)
08/28/13 03:40 PM

These cars hide rust well

G
(JDM Unit)
08/28/13 04:37 PM

They really don't, simple underbody pics shed light very easily.

donkeylips
(Swapped Female Parts)
08/28/13 05:34 PM

You've been looking for 2 weeks? Try 2 years! Its next to impossible. Sellers don't seem to understand that many of us only care about shell condition. And many people have lower standards than I do, so I won't find out that a car is unacceptable until I've wasted a lot of time and energy trying to talk to the seller, pleading for pics, etc.

Rear suspension and engine bay shots tell all in many cases but you really do need to see the quarter panels and such. A lot of people take pictures of the undercoated floor pan or other areas that never look rusty.

A lot of people don't know or don't pay attention to where these cars rust. There's even a local guy trying to sell the strut towers he cut out of his 1g as replacements for someone who needs them! Obviously they never rust on our cars or 1Gs, but if a 2g sees just a few seasons of salt its done for.

992gnt
(Junior Member)
08/28/13 06:00 PM

Quote:

You've been looking for 2 weeks? Try 2 years! Its next to impossible.

That's encouraging. I've been through all of that already. What's so hard about taking pictures of something you want to sell? FFS.

SmoothCustomer
(Public school educated knowitall)
08/28/13 09:41 PM

^^You live in KY? Maybe I'll sell you my shell. Although the simple fact that I also live here wouldn't really make getting my shell to you any easier.

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
08/28/13 10:38 PM

Welcome to the 2yr club. I've been looking for rust free for shell for that long. It's hopeless, I've moved on.

992gnt
(Junior Member)
08/28/13 11:00 PM

Quoting SmoothCustomer:

^^You live in KY? Maybe I'll sell you my shell. Although the simple fact that I also live here wouldn't really make getting my shell to you any easier.

PM me what you have, I'll come get it this weekend...

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/28/13 11:13 PM

Quoting Turbro_Negro:

Welcome to the 2yr club. I've been looking for rust free for shell for that long. It's hopeless, I've moved on.

I've seen them for sale around the PNW. It's a ways to go for a 22 year old car, but it'll be rust free.

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
08/29/13 01:03 AM

The few I've pursued on the west coast have been snatched up rather quickly or the seller doesnt want to deal with shipping a roller.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
08/29/13 03:33 AM

click

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
08/29/13 05:10 AM

I've moved on. Working on something else. Project pending summer 2014.

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
08/29/13 11:21 PM

I pick up one last summer off this board that is completely rust free. It had been for sale since 2010 but had a very vague description and crappy pics.

I made sure to inspect it as thoroughly as possible when I went to check it out. Interior was a bit dirty and stale from sitting, but the leather was soft and I made sure to check the lower fender area for rust as well as removing the fuel sending unit. Both areas looked brand new so I knew it was a good platform for a project car for me.

Point of the story is dont give up on finding one. Clean, rust free cars are still out there, and sometimes just a few pages back in the for sale section here.

Jesus_Negros
(Unempowered ADMIN)
08/30/13 01:30 AM

I have a shell lined up if I still want it. It isnt rust free but I can fix the rust it has for very cheap and it comes with a lot of work I was already going to do already done. But, I have another project planned for next summer and ya'll love it.

donkeylips
(Swapped Female Parts)
02/16/14 04:14 PM

Update on this car:

It will be scrapped this spring. The water authority did a repair that resulted in a very large dip in the road. It was going uphill and I couldn't see it.
Basically, the gas tank was ripped off the car. The filler hose was holding the whole thing up, but ripped and an entire tank full of fuel poured out. It's sitting in the driveway until it's warm enough to deal with.

G
(JDM Unit)
02/16/14 06:07 PM

Quoting G:

That look's pretty bad, I guess ride that thing till the wheels fall off.

Accomplished.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page