LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 12:00 PM
A proper build thread for 1501

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Craig. I have been the owner of 1501 for about a year now. My brother owned it for about 4 months before me, and my best friend Mark for about a year previous to that. I knew when Mark bought it, it would eventually be mine. My little brother started an introduction thread, which I basically took over and have been using as a build thread. Since the car is back on jack stands again, I decided its time to do things right.

Here is my introduction thread, if anyone wants to check out previous cars and such LIV4PSI newbie intro

Now onto 1501. Its all started about two years ago when my friend Mark listed his Jeep Cherokee for sell/trade on Craigslist. His first offer was for a Galant VR4. Here is the car when he got it. The only mods were an HID headlights, HKS turbo timer, and an improperly installed HKS BOV. At this point we knew we were saving it from a ricer. Here are some shots of the Jeep, and the 1501 when we first got it

The first thing Mark did to it was paint the chrome grill bllack, since we both hated the chrome. In retrospect, I wish I would have talked him into painting it body color. He also gave the car a much need cleaning

When we picked it up, the only known issues were a bad rear wheel bearing and of course the 4WS was leaking everywhere. No surprise there. Within a short time, the first thing broke under our ownership, the oil return line

Mark being overly anxious to start modding (much more maintenance was needed), he started with a 2G downpipe and some wheels I had laying around from a 2000 Sentra I parted out. He kept the stockish look, and painted them Summit White.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 12:01 PM
Re: A proper build thread for 1501, anti JSB style

Our next step was to get rid of the horrible stock intercooler setup. I had an old school Apexi hybrid core laying around from an FD I parted out that I let Mark use. I also had alot of random piping and couplers laying around, so we just used what we had for free, and I think it came out decent. Although I wish he wouldn't have cut the bumper in hindsight

We took 1501 to its first DSM/EVO Shootout. The 19th annual

Next came our first round of trying to cure the DSM herpes that it came with.
-Cleaned the engine bay
-replaced cracked 1g exhaust manifold with a ported, sand blasted 2g mani
-shaved and painted the valve cover
-installed EVOIII 16G turbo and tubular O2 housing
-deleted balance shafts
-installed SPEC clutch kit
-AN return line
-lightweight crank pulley
-tried fixing several leaks (failed)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 12:02 PM

So after the oil pan leaked onto the clutch and ruined the new Spec clutch, I decided it was time to make my move. I got my brother to trade Mark his Miata plus some cash for 1501. My brother owning the car was one step closer to it being mine

Here is a shot of the Miata we traded my friend for it.

My brother's ownership was very short lived. One of the ebrake cables snapped, driveshaft bushings needed replaced, and the water pump belt pulley came off shearing a bolt. That was all he could handle. He sold the VR4 to me, and talked my dad into loaning him the difference to buy another WRX. My brother is, and always will be a Subaru guy. I own an STI, so I can't blame him

The car was basically JSB status when I got it. The pulley needed fixed, the clutch was slipping, still had the bad wheel bearing, and a fuck ton of leaks. I let it sit as I slowly accumulated parts, until it came time that I had to make a decision. I thought I broke the input shaft on my STI, and I had to decide which car got my limited funds. So I foolishly decided to let my Subaru sit, so I could get 1501 ready for the 20th annual DSM Shootout. This was our second round of removing DSM herpes.

-Cometic gasket kit
-Fluidampr pulley to replace the cheap aluminum one (APR hardware as well)
-New SPEC disc since the old one was soaked in oil
-Resurfaced a used ACT lightweight flywheel (ARP hardware)
-New 2G clutch fork and OEM pivot ball
-5 lug swap and 4 bolt rear end from a parts car
-New rims for the 5 lug swap from an FD I had parted out
-Avid mounts since the stock ones were done for
-JNZ clutch line
-ABS delete
-Symborski shift kit with all OEM shifter assembly bushings from JNZ
-OEM rear main seal kit
-Energy Suspension master bushing kit
-New manual steering rack with new OEM bushings from JNZ
-ordered vanity plates since I'm cool like that

We barely got the car together in time for the 20th DSM Shootout. We got the car back together the night before. I ended up using a spare 4 bolt DSM subframe, as we didn't get mine finished with all the spare goodies I bought. The front sway bar wasn't installed. The car had no alignment and a crooked steering wheel. And to top it off, the battery turned into junk while sitting, so we had to take a jump box. I also sliced a tendon in my finger when removing the valve stems because I was rushing. No worries though, it was all worth it.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 12:02 PM

I started a full build/restoration of my rear subframe and suspension last summer. Everything will be painted with POR, new wheel bearings, endlinks, ball joints etc as well.

The new subframe from a 93 AWD DSM, arriving at my friends shop

All disassembled after some fun with the torches

The old bushings removed and holes cleaned up for..

The new BoostX bushings

New camber arms

The rusty 4 bolt diff before I started cleaning it up

Jay Racing Toe eliminator kit

G
(JDM Unit)
01/22/13 12:46 PM

Looks nice, what size are those sentra wheels?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 12:54 PM

Lots more to come by the end of the day. Those pics are still from a year and a half ago, and before I even owned it.

The Sentra rims are 16x6

G
(JDM Unit)
01/22/13 01:03 PM

Nice, were they hub centric?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 01:07 PM

Yes. If I remember right, there is a 1mm or so difference from the stock GVR4 wheels. So we did have to machine them ever so slightly.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
01/22/13 08:53 PM

Haha I see myself in your 2011 shootout pic =)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/22/13 08:58 PM

Hopefully we will have some more of our cars together in the 2013 Shootout pics

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
01/22/13 09:15 PM

Hell yeah, For sure. I can't wait.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
07/19/13 01:11 PM

So 1501 has sadly been sitting since January due to a broken rear brake line. I was forced to switch focuses to my 04 STI, as it is a much better daily driver. I have been accumulating parts for the last few months, hoping to bring a decent car to the Shootout. I decided to not rush it back together like I had to last year, so I am going to hold off on installing alot of my new goodies.

In the next few weeks I will be finishing up my rear end rebuild, rebuilding the driveshaft, and replacing both rear brake lines from the prop valve to the calipers. I already picked up some techna fit SS lines from Bob Dole and installed them. I headed out to the garage now, I will post some updated pics when I come back inside.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/12/13 12:21 AM

So I haven't gotten nearly as much done before the Shootout as I had hoped. I did get my driveshaft finished up though. The carrier bearings were causing it to thump pretty bad, especially under deceleration

Here's the DSS aluminum drive shaft beside my stock one

I sanded blasted the rear section and coated it with POR15. I also replaced the carrier bearing, u-joint, and bushings

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
08/12/13 01:17 AM

Can't wait to get mine.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/15/13 01:04 PM

In retrospect, I have a hard justifying the DSS driveshaft. I am all about efficient HP gains, but I have more money in that driveshaft than I do in my truck I use to tow the VR4

Anyways, I got the driveshaft installed. I also replaced to drive side hard brake line from he prop valve back. Installed some SS brake lines on all four corners while I was at it

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/19/13 10:34 PM

1501 made it to its 3rd in a row Shootout this year. and it made the trip with minimal issues. I got to drive it to work for the first time today since January, and when I came home my girlfriend was wearing this. Life is good

Only downside is that the Shootout gives me dumb ideas. I keeping thinking I should part out my STi, and spend some real money on my VR4.

Olson
(Pwnd by Rance.)
08/20/13 03:20 AM

You have boobs? thats kinda weird for a dude....

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/20/13 05:09 AM

Quoting LIV4PSI:

my girlfriend was wearing this

I've always suspected that people don't actually read build threads, they just look at pics. Wel I guess this is proof. At least the first reponse wasn't asking me to post noodz

Olson
(Pwnd by Rance.)
08/20/13 06:03 AM

had to dude.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
08/20/13 10:49 AM

Quoting LIV4PSI:

Only downside is that the Shootout gives me dumb ideas. I keeping thinking I should part out my STi, and spend some real money on my VR4.

Now your thinking right! That's what I would do.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
09/19/13 05:44 PM

So once again, 1501 is jack stand ballin' It's all for a good reason though. I sold my spare 4 bolt rear subframe that I was currently using. I've been making some good progress on getting my refreshed subframe finished.

My plans while it is apart are
1. Undercoat unibody and wheel wells, fix pinch welds
2. New -8an feed, -6an return and new passenger brake line (DS is done)
3. POR fuel tank and sending unit
4. Brand new emergency brake cables

I also acquired another parts car. 1501 has now claimed the rusty souls of 627/200 and 960/1000. New goodies I'm keeping are
-5k mile transmission w/ double synchro 2nd gear, newer T-case
-Omori DIN pod with water temp, oil pressure and boost gauges
-Whiteline front and rear strut bars
-Exedy clutch (mine slips)
-JDM RS replica CF hood with Aerocatch hood pins
-92 grill
- some really nice interior pieces I needed (uncracked dash, perfect console lid)

I also just bought this off of eBay for $100. Ad said it came off of a car with 10k miles, I believe it

Here is a teaser part of some of the parts I've been accumulating

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
09/20/13 12:49 PM

Look at all they purdy parts there.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/17/13 11:55 PM

I have decided to stay content with 16G power levels, and focus on making my car nice. My best friend and his father own a body shop, and his father has almost 40 years of experience. My friend wants quite a few parts I have, so I decided now is the time to paint it.

Plans are:
-JDM front and rear bumpers
-facelift projector fog lights
-Carbon fiber replica RS hood (painted of course )
-93 headlights/ putting stock corners back on
-92 grill
-wingless trunk

I fucked around and just bought this, so now I'm committed

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
10/20/13 02:10 AM

who are you going to buy the replica RS cf hood from? My understanding is that the few that were made were it...

p.s. You can't have mine

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/20/13 01:38 PM

I already have the RS CF hood, so no need to buy it from anyone

The only thing I still need to buy is the rear bumper. Now if Citymunky would just sell me his

Anyone have any thoughts about me painting it Wicked White?

slugsgomoo
10/20/13 09:38 PM

I think it all comes down to how good the paint is and if you do the whole thing. I've always been a fan of some of the honda & bmw white paints myself.

I doubt unless you parked next to another summit car that anyone would be able to tell

I wonder how many of those hoods got built? Mine is hanging up in the garage right now. Figure might as well have the car running well and wait for summer to put it on. Plus I have to cut it for the aerocatches and frankly not looking forward to that. Cutting the metal one was less nerve racking, but definitely more of a pain in the ass. So many dremel cutting wheels to do the steel hood (i don't have the factory latch at all anymore, so that's part of it)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/20/13 09:46 PM

I would do the door jambs, engine bay, etc if I did a color change. I want it to be subtle if I do it, and also a stock Mitsu color. I plan on an EVO IX interior, so I thought EVO IX paint would be cool too

I didn't realize the CF RS hoods were made in such limited numbers. Mine came on the car from Armitage that I am parting out, with Aerocatch latches already installed

Edit: I really like Honda's Championship White, but I would never use it on my VR4. Although it's just a color, it seems wrong

slugsgomoo
10/20/13 10:08 PM

It seems to me that they made the first one with US bracing, we all bitched about it, then they remade it with the JDM bracing, we all ate the 50-100 more to get it with the proper bracing and the first handful or two went out without a hitch, then it seems like follow up orders got sketchy and then a badguy thread showed up. I doubt anyone will make them again. Seems like there's not enough in it for a reputable shop to make them

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/24/13 12:16 PM

Here is how my JDM bumper showed up. Not boxed at all, and the bubble wrap doesn't even cover all of it.

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/24/13 02:42 PM

Yeah that's how both of mine did too! But mine was from Asia. But turned out fine except missing the rear bumper side mounts.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
10/24/13 03:55 PM

What'd the bumper run you with shipping?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/24/13 03:59 PM

$795 for the bumper, support beam, and projector fog lights

Faqinshiet, this one came from Asian as well

faqinshiet
(Member +)
10/25/13 12:12 AM

Maybe custom took a peek inside to see what it was. But yeah exactly how mine was sent. Even paid extra to have rear bumper not folded. But I an happy with the RS bumper.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
10/25/13 07:33 AM

thats packed better then the RS hood i got. they wrapped it just like that except they didn't use padding on the edges.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/25/13 12:10 PM

I would be pissed if I ordered a hood, and it came like some of the ones I've seen. I looked at Mike's at the Shootout, corners are folded, it's full of bondo, etc.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
10/25/13 12:51 PM

Yeah my hood came with every single edge bent, they had shipped it with the corners poking out of the box. tried get it straight though but it's still is not perfect. I don't know if I wanna either try to fix it better or just try my luck and get another JDM hood.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/25/13 12:54 PM

Did you file a Paypal complaint Mike? I sure would have. Did it come with Bondo, or was that something you had to do to try and straighten it out?

If I end up selling my CF RS hood, yo can have dibs. I never wanted a vented hood, until one fell into my lap for free

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
10/25/13 02:35 PM

Nope never filed a complaint. And yeah the bondo was added to try and help that. Awesome, thanks.

Redwood
(wannabe king of rednecks)
10/25/13 02:57 PM

hel yea man looks like you have a good start to having this car look pretty damn clean for next year.

transparentdsm
10/25/13 10:34 PM

Quoting LIV4PSI:

Did you file a Paypal complaint Mike? I sure would have. Did it come with Bondo, or was that something you had to do to try and straighten it out?

If I end up selling my CF RS hood, yo can have dibs. I never wanted a vented hood, until one fell into my lap for free

i sure as shit did and i got 325$ back from them. i paid 550 for the hood shipped and said i want 325$ back or you can pay to have the whole thing shipped back to you and give me a full refund. that day i had my money in my paypal account. i was furious, i haven't really tried to fix mine. i pulled the corners back out and did the best i could with some tools.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
11/01/13 09:15 PM

So I'm now the proud owner of two uncut JDM bumpers with projector fog lights. I am having urges to keep both. I want to cut the first one, and leave this one alone. Only if I had more money

I should only lose $100 or so on the deal. I think the Evolution spec bumper was worth it.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
11/14/13 05:49 PM

It's a JDM Christmas in my dining room I also scored a JDM fuel door from throughfaith. And I only lost $35 selling the first bumper, and buying the RS/EVO spec one

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
11/15/13 09:07 PM

Holy If the JDM shops here in Canada would sell bumpers to you guys down south they would make a killing!!! The last one I went to throws out all Galant parts because they can't sell them. I was told that whenever a shipment of galant bumpers come in I could take them for $300 for the pair!!!

I never really realized the price you guys pay for them.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
11/15/13 09:25 PM

I was surprised how expensive everything was, when I first joined the community. But after looking at these cars all the time, I deemed them absolutely necessary. Night and day difference

Front bumpers sell for $500 shipped, all day long. $400 for rear bumpers, although not as popular. $50-$60 for the fuel doors, $200 for the fogs. Get your hustle on

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/16/13 01:20 PM

Yep it's the way these cars were meant to look.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/02/13 10:10 AM

Ordered a mustache bar and 1pc front crossmember from Bulfab. Also waiting on a Paulo CF trunk that I bought from JC. I wondered how many GVR4s have a custom CF hood and trunk?

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/02/13 12:57 PM

Ahh the mustache bar, one of the pieces I've yet to get. Glad my Bulfab fetish has rubber off on others

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/02/13 01:05 PM

Yeah, drivetrain reliability is a major concern for me. The Bulfab bar should help keep the diff in place nicely. I almost purchased the aluminum subframe bushings, but I thought it would be too solid. So I'm going to stick with the BoostX subframe bushings.

I've also bought an AFCO radiator from CK, and a FIC fuel rail from Snailspool. My shopping list is almost done

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/02/13 03:07 PM

Man your gettin it Craig! What do you do again?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/02/13 07:30 PM

I serve tables 25 hours a week at a Texas Roadhouse That is until I finish graduate school at OSU.

My car part money comes from selling car parts. I part out FD RX7s, TT 300zx's, Miatas, WRX and STi's, and of course DSMs and VR4s. I sell enough parts Paypal sends me a tax form

My rims and tires, CF hood, 4 bolt/5 lug swap, gauges, and some other goodies were all free due to this. It's the same way I "paid" for my 3076 turbo setup on my STi

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/02/13 10:41 PM

Dayummm, and here I am just simply working my ass off 19 hours a day the normal average Joe way barely making it lol. There's going to be some badass Galant VR4's at the shootout next year though. I'm going to spend a few thousand and repaint mine so it'll finally have a legit paint job. I'm going to work my ass off these next 250 days so I can really transform my car into a beast.

EHmotorsports
(Capt Fabbin Stabbin)
12/02/13 11:40 PM

maybe get a wideband O2 and tune your car before paint?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/02/13 11:59 PM

I know without him posting that those are his intentions. It's too bad that you two are so far apart. EH, I bet you could make 550 purdy, and fast finally too

Mike, I wouldn't repaint your car until it's done with daily duties. Do what I do, drive a Subaru and race a Mitsubishi. Well, I plan on racing a Mitsubishi

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/03/13 06:12 AM

Trust me, way more then a wideband and a tune are coming before paint lol.

And Craig, that's why I'm trying to get my 1g GST back on the road again so I can not put soo many miles on the VR4

Project_91Vr4
(Newbie)
02/21/14 02:19 PM

Nice write up on your build so far can you please pm me links to the mustache bar for the rear diff and where did you get that driveshaft I likeeee the build seems to be coming along lovely 1316 is my daily driver Lol have a bottom end being built for her as we speak

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
02/21/14 03:31 PM

The mustache bar came from Bulfab. His website is still being finished, but he has a Facebook you can contact him through. The DSS driveshaft came from JNZ Tuning, I get most of my parts from them. Awesome guys to deal with.

I really need to start putting 1501 back together. I wrecked my STi, so that put a major damper on funds and time.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
06/30/14 10:21 PM

So in the last 6 months, my girlfriend moved out, I wrecked my car with liability insurance, and my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The last event made the first two seem insignificant, but they affected my financial situation none the less. So the plans for 1501 have slowed down dramatically.

But I two complete powertrains, so I am going to toss it together with spare parts until I can install all of my goodies. At least it will be going to its 4th Shootout in a row, and it will at least have my JDM bumpers/ hood, and 92 grill painted and installed. Lots of updates coming over the next month

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/10/14 11:02 PM

A bent EPROM prong made 1501 miss its first trip to the Shootout since I've owned it. But since then I've been on a shopping spree, funded by selling car parts and abusing my credit haha I'm still waiting for some things to show up in the mail, but here's a sample

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
12/11/14 11:46 AM

That's a nice parts pile, Craig. What's the overall plan for the car?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/11/14 12:43 PM

I just want to build a nice, somewhat unique GVR4. Shooting for 450-500whp on E85/98, and going to try to get as close as a 10 second pass as possible. My car will be fairly light for a GVR4. National Trail Raceway is only 15 minutes away, plus I race the FIS class at Import Faceoff. I also just bought some Hotbits coilovers, so I will try some auto-x with it and maybe an actual track day or two at Mid-Ohio

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/12/14 12:36 PM

Frontline Fab!!! Yes

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
12/12/14 12:40 PM

Frontline Fab valve cover is in the mail as well Mike

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
12/12/14 12:51 PM

#Baller!!

I just want the diff and T-case ones =)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/07/15 04:29 PM

Yes it was stupid expensive and the money was better spent elsewhere. No I don't regret buying it one bit haha

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
01/07/15 04:44 PM

What's the retail on one of those?

prove_it
(my racist jokes aren't actually funny)
01/07/15 04:48 PM

If you have to ask, you can't afford. Super nice.

I really want the ball bearing front cover.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/07/15 05:14 PM

89Patches, I sold my spare engine to pay for it.

Prove it, me too. I wish he would at least release the price and ETA of when it will be finished.

prove_it
01/07/15 05:20 PM

I hope it isn't too far off of what a new oem will cost. With the skills they have I would trust my engine with it, no doubt. Not sure if the ball bearings will make a big difference or not. What I'm hoping for is improved oil feed into the block. More better for the 15w-40 rotella. Possibly thicker oils too.

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
01/07/15 05:59 PM

That's not the answers I was looking for. Prove_it was close though

I think FF said $1000-1500.

BENE38A
(Slanging Kiwi parts)
01/07/15 06:19 PM

from what I had seen he expects cost to be around $1500 including the remote OFH and adjustable pressure regulator and limited release in spring.

jeverts
(Member +)
01/07/15 09:44 PM

Is it expensive yeah, but the work that goes into them it really isn't that expensive. I will tell you that Andrew does amazing work and the to get finishes like that take time and everything down to machine, correct G-code and programming, type of cutters, speeds and feeds, and even as far as coolant concentration has to be to a capital T.

blacksheep
(Baraqsheep)
01/08/15 12:20 PM

Am I the only one who clicks on this thread because I think its for 1051? 1051 on the brain always!

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/08/15 01:07 PM

Looks like my user title is holding true KC, haha

minneSNOWta
(Member +)
01/08/15 04:21 PM

Not a meme person, but you deserve this Craig.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
01/08/15 07:43 PM

Craigs shiny parts + Mikes shiny parts =

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/08/15 07:57 PM

Between the two of us, we have covered the main Frontline Fabrication items.

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
01/08/15 07:59 PM

Combine the cash you both spent and you can buy another VR-4

Looking good though, Craig. I'm glad you're getting back in the swing of things.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/15/15 02:24 AM

Fuel lines and fittings came in today. I thought I had basic criteria for what I wanted, but it ended up that Goodridge 910 PTFE lines were the only real option.

My not so exciting Turbonetics manifold to complete my $200 turbo setup.

These should be showing up any day. I'm much more of a drag racing guy, but I couldn't pass them up. Hotbits DT2 coilovers

prove_it
01/15/15 10:04 AM

Don't feel bad on the coilovers. I bought a set of Muellerized JIC coilovers and pretty much drag race. Stupid good deal to pass up. Seems like a waste, but hey they do help.

Looking very nice sir.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/15/15 11:03 AM

My friend Kris put me in the payment plan, so I was forced to buy them haha. I have BC's on my Subaru and I'm not impressed with the them.

Also finished up putting POR on my suspension parts yesterday, hillbilly style

transparentdsm
01/16/15 09:20 AM

in the house none the less. awesome.

prove_it
01/16/15 10:13 AM

So it can't be hillbilly style then if it's in a house(that looks nice).

Looking good. Are you going to paint over the POR15 or leave it?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/16/15 11:53 AM

Yeah Shane, I don't have a heated garage so I said fuck it. GF thought I was crazy, but she isn't one to complain.

Prove it, I plan on leaving them as is. If I used it in the actual chassis or underbody I would paint over it. I think it looks decent, definitely better than rust lol Although my car will never see snow or rain again

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/16/15 03:22 PM

Santa came again today. Starting to get real close to being down to just spinning wrenches

prove_it
01/16/15 03:35 PM

Getting all the packages is my favorite part. Feel like a little kid getting new toys!

Are you not going with an oil cooler? I see the forward facing housing, so curious.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/16/15 04:20 PM

I decided to sell my external oil cooler setup. It will mainly get drag races. I might do max effort at the Shootout and some local auto-x. Basically I think it can handle one minute of 2nd gear driving without it. I'm trying to simplify things as much as possible

prove_it
01/17/15 01:03 PM

Gotcha.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/17/15 01:55 PM

I went ahead and cleaned up and sealed my gas tank while I had the POR out. I did another sending unit, I plan on selling the one pictured. So jealous of all the PNW guys who don't have to deal with salt and rust

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/19/15 11:43 PM
Re: A proper build thread for 1501

Finally got most of my rear suspension assembled

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 08:36 PM

So no gorgeous top mount turbo setups, custom hand made parts from a CNC machine, or awesome rally car inspiration in this build thread. But I did buy some EVO IX SE front and rear seats. For me, its probably been my most exciting purchase

FlyingEagle
(Eager Beaver)
01/30/15 08:48 PM

Just get it done.

No less glory because you can't outspend the Jones's.

Those seats should keep you well planted.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 09:01 PM

I was joking, it's not a competition. But there are some thoroughly impressive build threads happening right now

FlyingEagle
(Eager Beaver)
01/30/15 09:02 PM

Thumbs up to that for sure!

89Patches
(I <3 AMS)
01/30/15 09:07 PM

Nice! Speaking of turbo setups what's the plan?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 09:21 PM

Running a free setup that came with 774 when I parted it out. Precision T3 60-1, tubular 02 with a two bolt Tial, and a short V band down pipe. All I had to buy was a $100 Turbonetics cast manifold and the oil lines.

I'm just ready to enjoy the car for awhile. Hoping to make 400-450whp on E85 for now.

turbohf
(anyone even read this?)
01/30/15 09:51 PM

oh man i want those seats...

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 10:04 PM

Im still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. But here is a close up pic I stole from Google for anyone who hasn't seen them in person

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
01/30/15 10:08 PM

those are pimp. nice grab

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 10:35 PM

Thanks Dustin and Coyotes

BENE38A
(Slanging Kiwi parts)
01/30/15 10:42 PM

Those are nice seats, haven't seen any FS down here. Whats the difference between the se and mr seats?

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/30/15 10:46 PM

The SE seats have the red stitching.

JamesFoster
(Infamous BMX Master)
01/31/15 05:55 AM

Good to see it all coming together! I love those seats. I wanted some for my car to match my rear seats, but couldn't find any for a reasonable price then came into a deal for some older NIB Recaro recliners.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/31/15 12:21 PM

Thanks James. I'm glad I'm getting so close to getting to drive it for awhile, mostly the way I want it

diambo4life
(Member)
01/31/15 12:48 PM

Quoting 89Patches:

What's the retail on one of those?

There was one for sale in the Link forums awhile ago for a "good deal" and it was $600 if that gives you an idea....lol.

OP, love the car btw.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/31/15 01:11 PM

Thanks Diambo. Speaking of the Frontline valve cover, I decided it was going to make my COP setup look like shit, so I bought one of these

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
01/31/15 01:22 PM

Mr. Moneybags

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/31/15 01:44 PM

It's more a case of good credit and poor priorities

Seriously though, when my mom died my brother and I inherited the Habitat for Humanity house we grew up in. 3 bedrooms and 4 people living here makes it cheap, but also crowded. I was forced to rent my home out, so I spent the security deposit $600 on parts. Seats were bought with my tax return. My Subaru is running wastegate pressure because I sold the Apexi boost controller, meth injection and SS fuel lines to fund the Galant. I also fully parted out 960/1000 and 774/2000. Anyways, you get the idea. 1501 is being built on hard work and sacrifices

coyotes
(Hipster VR4)
01/31/15 02:22 PM

you don't have to explain yourself! I am dumb with my money and spend it irresponsibly. but I have been broke lately so the vr4 hasn't got much love

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
01/31/15 09:22 PM

I know. I just felt obligated since I just did a fundraiser for my mom within the last year. I don't want anyone to think we didn't really need the help then.

transparentdsm
02/01/15 07:23 AM

we all know your family needed that money at the time and thats what we are all here for. that, slandering others and sharing pornography the world over...

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/03/15 11:44 AM

I've been hard at work on the VR4 now the weather is warmer again. Gutted the interior to remove some weight, swap dashes, and install 89 manual seatbelts and my EVO SE seats.

My best friend who was helping me suggested we tag underneath the new dash. I wanted to make the next person laugh, so...

Also found out that the "small gap" left by the 89 seat belt plastics is more like the Grand Canyon

I've also got my rear subframe and gas tank re-installed. Replaced my other OEM rear metal brake line, assembled and ran my Goodridge 910 fuel lines and my Fuelab fiberglass filter.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/06/15 01:49 PM

Shampoo'd the nicest of my 4 GVR4 carpets

And tossed it in a bin full of black RIT dye

prove_it
04/06/15 02:25 PM

Making some black blocks too?

Love the hidden messages. At work I'll find them here and there.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/06/15 02:46 PM

Just one black cinder block lol The carpet kept wanting to float.

And no one else will ever own 1501, but i wanted to write something that would make the next guy chuckle. Maybe I'll have kids eventually and it will be my son

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/07/15 05:00 PM

I had to darken it up with a can of Duplicolor fabric dye, but I'm happy with the results. It looks darker in person

prove_it
04/07/15 05:02 PM

Should leave your son some inspiring message, like put the wrench down, get out the garage and go make friends, be social, have a life outside of this car.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/07/15 06:01 PM

^^I don't think that would have fit on the dash bar

badams
(Bungie Battery)
04/07/15 08:26 PM

Quoting prove_it:

Should leave your son some inspiring message, like put the wrench down, get out the garage and go make friends, be social, have a life outside of this car.

I think "fuck bitches" qualifies.

transparentdsm
04/08/15 08:05 AM

looking good Craig, cant wait to see it all back together.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/09/15 12:54 AM

EVO IX SE rear seats installed. Thanks Shane for the write up. It was definitely helpful

89 seat belt conversion finished. I ended up using my stock lower B pillar pieces. I plan to slot the carpet so it can tuck around. I still need to round up some bolt covers

Redwood
(wannabe king of rednecks)
04/09/15 10:23 AM

looks like the car is getting a nice little face lift. keep up the good work man.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/09/15 02:00 PM

Thanks buddy. I can't wait to whore it out at the Shootout this year. Not having it there last year kind of broke my heart haha

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/11/15 12:17 AM

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
04/11/15 02:28 PM

Woo hoo, side ways pics!

Seats look good Craig. I had some pics taken of mine and will be posting the pics soon as well.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/11/15 02:35 PM

I tried rotating my manual seat belt pics and reposting them. They still post sideways

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
04/11/15 02:53 PM

Herr Ya go. =)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
04/11/15 03:24 PM

^^Thats the money shot, right there. Thanks Mike

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
04/11/15 04:18 PM

You're welcome brotha. =)

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
05/01/15 11:56 PM

Half tool box, half wanna be race car

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
05/03/15 09:33 AM

I finally took the center sections out of my EVO IX wheel and DSM wheel, to have them welded together. Hopefully it matches my seats nicely

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
05/17/15 08:45 PM

HKS 272 cams and HKS cam gears are installed. I think this is the first time I've had less parts waiting to be installed than on the car

Also installed my JMF small battery tray. I couldn't bring myself to add a kill switch to the outside, so this was my plan be. I was pleasantly surprised I was able to use factory bolt holes

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
06/14/15 11:51 PM

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
06/23/15 12:32 AM

Got my EVO IX steering wheel installed. Thanks again Curtis

GSTwithPSI
(A hole)
06/23/15 06:14 AM

Looking good, Craig! This thing going to be ready for the Shootout?

clevr4
(Member)
06/23/15 11:23 AM

Love the seats, great idea on the carpets. I'll have to do the same

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
06/23/15 01:13 PM

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

Looking good, Craig! This thing going to be ready for the Shootout?

It better be haha I'm not sure if it will be race ready, but hopefully at least ready for the 2 hour drive

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
06/23/15 01:37 PM

Quoting clevr4:

Love the seats, great idea on the carpets. I'll have to do the same

Thanks. I sliced my finger open on a bracket while installing my gauges. I thought I was going to ruin my new entire by making it look like a crime scene haha

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/29/18 09:16 PM

Long time update. Car is finally all together.

G
(JDM Unit)
08/29/18 09:51 PM

Nice.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
08/30/18 07:38 AM

Where have you been hiding Craig?

Good to see the car and see you back.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/30/18 08:48 AM

Ashamed to admit I was stolen by the world of FB. Pretty active on the page there, and have a ton on GVR4 guys on my friends list. It makes me feel in the loop, but this place will always be home

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/18 09:41 AM

Now your car just needs paint! Especially the hood and trunk. But don't paint them yet. When you inevitably partout, i'm going to need those bits so i can paint them KG.

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/30/18 10:06 AM

What at this point of my ownership makes you think I would part it out?

I'm a lifer. And if I get half my winter plans done, I won't be able to afford to ever sell it

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
08/30/18 10:19 AM

Stop crushing my hopes and dreams. I know you live in the rust belt. With any luck the car will corrode around the parts i want, in time.

slugsgomoo
08/30/18 08:17 PM

Since Craig stole the trunk from me with a lower offer I have first dibs during part out

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
08/31/18 06:59 PM

Thanks to Ginev all of my rare CF goodies will be a dime a dozen come winter

LIV4PSI
(dyslexic 1051 )
10/02/18 08:19 PM

I can't seem to get any pictures to upload, but I've dove into a pretty in depth build for this winter. I've been working hard on real estate for the last few years and this is my payoff.Hoping to race IFO FIS class, Street Car Takeover and the Shootout of course

Cliff notes are:
-FP Xona 82*67 turbo
-PPG Dogbox w/ all the goodies
-Haltech

strokin4dr
(fighting them with a large needle)
10/08/18 05:28 AM

Looking forward to the pics!

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page