123abc
(Member)
11/06/11 08:37 AM
1945 is now mine!

I finally bought a Galant yesterday. Found this one out in Shawano, WI. near Green Bay. Comes with all I need to put together minus engine, trans, ecu, t-case, and fuel tank and filler neck. Everything I can transfer over will be from my Talon. Anyway, here's a couple pics so far:

Here's just some of the extra parts I got with it:

Plan is to make it a full on year 'round daily driver, just like my talon is....only this shell is about 90% better/rust free.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/06/11 08:58 AM
Re: 1945 is now mine!

Congrats.....Looks like a good winter project. If you need anything from the Indianapolis area let me know if I can help!

123abc
(Member)
11/06/11 09:11 AM

The biggest issue I think I'll have is finding the fuel tank, sending unit, and filler neck. If you have any of those I might be interested.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/06/11 09:26 AM

I haven't owned mine long enough to accumulate spare parts. There are a couple of parts cars in the area, but I haven't been able to contact the owners. When I do i'll see if I can grab those parts as well!

omertaitalia
(Member +)
11/06/11 03:41 PM

filler neck can be bought new from jnz tuning, i just found a galant gsx in a junkyard by searching picknpull.com, try that it might work out for you

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 06:36 PM

glad you saved her man.

123abc
(Member)
11/07/11 12:48 AM

Thanks for the tip on the filler neck from JNZ, I'll have to look into that.

Took a few more pics after working on it tonight. All the interior is back together except the center console items:

93 headlights ftw:

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/07/11 04:01 PM

Nice, your already making alot of progress from what it was.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/11 07:48 AM

congrats

123abc
(Member)
11/08/11 10:40 AM

Thanks! I took a few more pics:

Body is pretty damn straight. There's a few paint scratches down to metal but will be fairly simple to repair:

Worst of the rust is under where the fenders sit. It's the same on both sides, will be stripping it down and painting it tonight:

Engine bay shot again:

I plan to put the DSM ps res. in instead of the 4ws stuff, ABS was already taken out so the seller gave me a non-abs prop valve but I'll need to make 4 new lines. Will a DSM engine harness work with the stock Galant gauges without too much work? I want to make it easy and swap my Talon's harness that I've gone through and re- routed.

Adorsey
(Member +)
11/08/11 11:06 AM

Looks great! The DSM harness will work, as long as its from a '91+ dsm. The tach will not work on the galant with a signal from the '90 harness. I think its from the transistor pack or something related with the ignition system.

123abc
(Member)
11/08/11 11:21 AM

Cool, my talon is a 91 so it'll be fine then. I the harness on my DSM through a hole I cut next to the shifter cables. Much cleaner setup:

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
11/08/11 11:47 AM

Glad to see you finishing putting it back together! Looking great. Fyi, you can use the front brake lines out of your talon or any dsm instead of making new ones. They follow the correct route and work fine.

123abc
(Member)
11/09/11 10:54 AM

My talon had ABS when I got it so it has different lines from stock anyway. I want to make new lines as the ones on the talon are old. All I did with them was take some of the original lines and cut, bend, and re-flare them to work.

Finished up the quick rust prevention on the major spots. Now I can put the fenders, side skirts, and doglegs on.

123abc
(Member)
11/12/11 08:18 AM

Car is going together pretty smooth. Got the fenders, side skirts and the piece between the bumper and the headlights on as well:

And of course, one more of the interior:

This weekend the goal is to have the engine harness out, and replace the front subframe with another one from a DSM that I know will not give me ps rack leaks or any other issues. I have poly bushings for it too.

123abc
(Member)
11/13/11 07:22 PM

I was able to drop the old subframe and install a DSM subframe and rack with new poly bushings. I cleaned it up and sprayed it with truck bed coating:

123abc
(Member)
11/16/11 09:10 AM

Yay for wire harness work.

Decided to go through and repair the original harness instead of swapping my DSM harness over. There's a few plugs I'll need to replace, along with some very stiff wires, but it's all here. I also plan to mount the battery low where the vapor canister use to sit, rather than mounting it in the rear. Being a four door with a usable trunk, seems silly to stuff a battery back there.

123abc
(Member)
11/23/11 10:12 AM

Update, relocated the washer bottle to where it should be(where the junk abs motor sat), going to try and fit a dsm washer bottle instead so it'll be easier to fill. Also just about finished up the wire harness, removed a few un-needed things, ran the stock mafs wires and plug to the glove box then ran a gm maf plug where it should be (I put my translator box in the glove box). Also ran a power wire to where the battery will sit. Still need to put some 2g injector clips in the harness, as well as replace the cas plug and the o2 sensor plug, and put together the starter harness.

I've also changed my mind about the ps res. I originally was going to use the DSM bottle, but decided to plug the un-used ports on the vr4 res. so I can keep the low fluid light.

EDIT: Woot! The fuel tank and sending unit just arrived.

123abc
(Member)
12/02/11 10:28 AM

Finishing up the paint on a few pieces for the front end, such as control arms, dr side north/south piece, and a couple brackets. Also fabbed up a prototype bumper support for the front since I didn't get the crash beam with the car. Gotta trim some excess material, do some final welding to make it strong, and throw paint on it. Here's a pic of the car with the bumper on:

I also bought a remanned 3g brake master cylinder and so far its almost bolt on. Will need to make the two lines from the master to the prop valve.

123abc
(Member)
12/05/11 10:14 AM

Couple more pics:

Badge back where it belongs:

thedsmguy
(Senior Member)
12/05/11 06:52 PM

I'm a little late to the party but the dsm and gvr4 wiring harnesses do not match up to well they have different lengths for the positioning of the in the interior etc.

This is fairly inspiring to see someone put one back together, I have a fully caged car thats a shell just waiting to be put together (maybe someday)

Good luck with this!

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
12/06/11 09:05 AM

This looks awesome! Great work! I was just too tired of working on alll mine to put this back together. Glad to see this and 1049 being put back together. Keep up the good work, sir!!

123abc
(Member)
12/06/11 11:20 AM

Thanks guys! As it sits, the car is ready for the transplant to happen. I was also able to find a 92 center section so I now have 92 tails on the back.

There are a few misc pieces im still needing, but Im going to try swapping over the following off my talon:

-fuel filler neck
-fuel door release latch and cable
-trunk release cable
-washer fluid bottle

If anyone can offer some insight on the first two, I'd appreciate it, as those are the two most important.

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
12/07/11 11:06 PM

Was just up in my garage attic a few minutes ago and found a gas door/trunk release lever and cables. Best offer with shipping and will send it out Friday. And may have a galant washer bottle in what's left of my parts car. Again throw me an offer with shipping.

123abc
(Member)
12/14/11 10:50 PM

Cars outside waiting for the weekend to come so I can start transfering parts.

Nice to see the car not in my cramped garage.

PolskiVR4
(Will take advange of children for carbon fiber)
12/15/11 01:25 PM

Quoting 123abc:

Thanks guys! As it sits, the car is ready for the transplant to happen. I was also able to find a 92 center section so I now have 92 tails on the back.

There are a few misc pieces im still needing, but Im going to try swapping over the following off my talon:

-fuel filler neck
-fuel door release latch and cable
-trunk release cable
-washer fluid bottle

If anyone can offer some insight on the first two, I'd appreciate it, as those are the two most important.

The fuel filler neck can be ought new for not too bad of a price from jzntuning.com clicky

123abc
(Member)
12/15/11 04:27 PM

I saw that a while back. I need the whole thing though, not just the hose. Thanks though.

123abc
(Member)
12/17/11 01:31 AM

Ready for work in the morning:

123abc
(Member)
12/19/11 10:11 AM

Yea, apparently to my friends that helped put this car together this weekend, the car is a flying penis fortress. lol

Galant is running and driving! Drove it 27 miles yesterday for the first time. Already the car drives better than my Talon did, but then again maybe thats because I have more poly bushings up front and the correct motor mounts. Still needs to be put up on the alignment rack, hopefully that'll happen tonight after work. Here's a bunch of pics twack and my friend took:

For anyone ever wondering, yes, a 1g filler neck and hose fits great:

Here's the crew that made it possible:

First things first, swap rear ends:

Doin werk:

Where'd it go:

Here it be:

Poor Talon:

Camaro brakes rockin strong:

Because intercooler:

Exhaust:

Here's 1945, with 100% new life:

FlyingEagle
(Eager Beaver)
12/19/11 11:10 AM

Two thumbs up, that is a bunch of work there!! Beats working in the cold too.

luis84one
(Member)
12/19/11 12:07 PM

wish i had a lift

stealthtt24
(Holy deer monkey donkey balls looking for a pole)
12/19/11 03:08 PM

Car looks good, I personally think 92 wheels would look better though. Super jelous of the lift!

123abc
(Member)
12/19/11 04:41 PM

Thanks guys! Having access to a lift is one of the many benefits of working at a dealership.

123abc
(Member)
12/20/11 12:17 AM

Gave the car an alignment at work today. I'm thinking one of my control arms is bent because one side has more camber than the other in the front end. I have some much better control arms that I had sand blasted then I painted them and put new moog ball joints in them. I just need to buy a poly bushing kit for them.

Pic of engine bay as is:

I need to pull the power steering pump out of the way and tighten the bracket that bolts to the block tonight yet. Somehow, it's loose and being my daily driver I can't have something happening.

oldman_tau
(Member)
12/20/11 12:20 AM

looking great!

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
12/20/11 09:25 PM

Wow, looks awesome!

123abc
(Member)
12/21/11 10:36 AM

Thanks guys. If anyone is considering relocating their washer bottle on a GVR4, It's pretty easy. I was able to use the stock bottle, with an L bracket from the washer fluid bottle off my DSM. When I had the wire harness out for fixing, I pulled the two wires for the washer fluid motor through the grommit and then ran it behind the dash, through the dr. side fender, and out the grommit behind the dr. side motor mount. Just have to run new hose (which I had to anyway, old stuff was junk).

Looks way better in this location than where it is on the firewall from the factory.

RedTwo
(Rangi Kiwi)
12/21/11 06:42 PM

Where's the overflow for the radiator? Down in the bumper void behind the fog lights/under the battery shelf?

123abc
(Member)
12/21/11 10:18 PM

Yup, I used a stock fwd dsm over flow bottle.

123abc
(Member)
12/24/11 11:11 AM

Replaced the passenger side axle seal last night at work. It was leaking, must have been damaged when we did the swapping. I'm going to do the intake manifold gasket as well, it has been leaking for quite some time. I still have a list of things to do/fix on the car, but it's still running and driving strong. Tore up a parking lot last night after work, unfortunetly I'm only at 11 psi on my setup, but that's only till I can get my gauge pod and install my wideband.

123abc
(Member)
12/31/11 11:45 AM

The intake manifold gasket must have been leaking for a long time because I had to zero almost everything out on the translator to get it to pull without leaning out. Runs good now at 17 psi. Gotta re-wire the fuel pump before I put it back to 24 like it was.

Finally was able to get the car titled and registered. Took all week because the guy who signed it over back in 08 traced over a 6 in the date a few times so they wouldn't accept it. At least its over now, and it's all legal to drive finally. Good thing too, because yesterday I was pulled over for window tint. Told him nope, didn't know it was illegal and I didn't know what it was. He went and got his tester but for whatever reason, it wasn't working or something. He was quiet, went back to the car for a few mins. Came back, handed me my license and told me to have a good night. I laughed the rest of my way home.

123abc
(Member)
01/04/12 10:08 PM

Yay no more semi truck steering wheel:

123abc
(Member)
01/07/12 06:07 PM

Stopped on my way home and took a few pics. Finally washed the Galant yesterday.

Pulled the oil pan today. Figured out I need a new oil pan to stop the oil pan leaks. This one is warped. Still, need a daily driver so I put it back on with some toyota RTV. Still leaks. Also fixed my exhaust from rubbing on the t-case and also added the right lengths to it so the hangers line up on the longer wheelbase galant. And to try and quiet the car down, welded a 3 in. flowmaster chambered muffler at the end.

123abc
(Member)
01/09/12 08:20 AM

.....aaaaand now the Galant's broke. Either the transfer case or the center diff gave up the ghost. The car still moves fine in every gear but theres a horrible gear crunching sound now. I wont know for sure until I get the car in the air. Luckily I was in town near work so I parked it there.

123abc
(Member)
01/09/12 07:45 PM

Put it on the hoist this morning at work before my shift started and pulled the tcase real quick and sure enough, the damn center diff is grinding. So now I'm on the look-out for a cheap replacement trans.

123abc
(Member)
01/12/12 12:29 AM

Picked up a transmission from a friend that was ran dry on fluid. Pulled it all apart for my first time ever tearing apart a DSM trans. Surprisingly, there's only 2 bearings and races that are trashed (on the intermediate shaft assembly), and the center diff doesn't quite feel right to me. Otherwise, nothing else seems to have abnormal play, the syncros look great.

Just some of the metal inside:

Outer bearing has some bad marks, along with it's race:

The inside bearing is pretty bad, explaining the chunks of metal:

The race is just as bad. I'm assuming the black build up is gear oil that was super hot?

I'm going to pull the transmission that's still in my Galant and take that one apart to figure out what happened and if anything is usable. I have my fingers crossed I can make a good transmission out of the two with some left-over parts. I'll have to make more room to take the other one apart:

brisvr4
(Oceania Distict Enforcer for the Galant VR4 Mafia)
01/12/12 07:09 AM

Wow that did get hot! I think the black melted thing is an oil guide that sits under the intermediate shaft?

123abc
(Member)
01/12/12 09:25 AM

Is it? Can I get some confirmation on that? The vfaq article on rebuilding these never mentioned that.

123abc
(Member)
01/15/12 10:20 PM

Finally pulled the trans out of my Galant and took it apart to see what happened. Pretty much, exactly as I thought....stripped gears. The gear clusters on the bottom are whats going into the trans, above is the ones that were in it:

Just a few of the gear pieces:

My plans have changed slightly after finding a huge crack on the case of the trans I got from my friend. So far, as much as I can tell the trans case out of my Galant is good, so that'll be used. The center diff is being switched as well, due to mine having it's teeth crunched as well. If I can re-assemble correctly this should be a decent transmission with a GVR4 first gears, and bronze syncros. My old syncro's were the brass ones.

Thought I'd take a pic of the transmission rebuild table, in our living room:

Turboman_456
(Junior Member)
01/20/12 12:58 AM

Looks good born-again hard!

123abc
(Member)
01/22/12 11:33 AM

Put the transmission back together friday night. Was up till about 3 am when I finished it. Installed it back in the car saturday morning, and drove it home around 530. So far no leaks, no weird noises. Occasional 2nd and 3rd gear crunch but otherwise it all seems good.

123abc
(Member)
01/26/12 12:48 PM

Well, now that I lost my job, I have much more time to tinker with the Gaylant. Finally mounted the DSM ecu up where it should be in the Galant, ran the release cables for the trunk and the fuel door, also stole the latch off my Talon so now the fuel door is on. I took the stupid lawn mower battery out and put a real one in the trunk with all the stuff from the Talon. Bolted down the battery box, ran the cables. Fixed the non-working reverse lights.

Took a couple pics:

Engine bay is much easier to work in now. Also safer without the battery up there.

123abc
(Member)
01/28/12 11:51 AM

I was bored, so I painted the chrome trim around the 92-93 tail lights to black. I think it looks better than the chrome:

123abc
(Member)
01/30/12 09:36 AM

Yay, more pics.

Went for an 80 mile drive yesterday with a couple friends. Car behaved like it should. Made some mudflaps for it Saturday and they worked well too. I have to trim the rears though, the suspension really settled a lot. Transmission is still holding up. I suppose if it were to break, it would've already. I was surprised it didn't break when I used the Galant to pull the Talon shell onto the trailer yesterday so we could take it to a new spot.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
02/17/12 03:56 AM

I have the original rearend from this car, been quite awhile. It was barely a shell last time I saw it.

123abc
(Member)
02/20/12 08:50 AM

The car has been through a lot it seems. Do you have the original gas tank too then?

I bought myself a different intercooler from a friend of mine. It's about 28in wide, 10.5in tall, and 3.5in thick garret core. It was off his low 10 second 90 Talon, put down a little over 700 something to the wheels. I was very lucky as I didn't have to cut anything to get it to fit. Only had to drill two holes to mount it.

Only real issue is both the inlet and outlet are 3in in diameter, but the couplers solved that. Put it together, test drove it and it pulled harder than it ever has at 22 psi with that on it. When boost hits, I actually get planted in my seat.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
02/20/12 04:16 PM

Car looks like it coming along real nice. Sorry to hear about you losing your job, was it from working on the galant at work too much? Anyways like you said now you have more time to work on the galant. I have a feeling from what I have seen of your work on your that you wont be unemployed for too long, best of luck in finding a new job and keep up the good work man inspiring........

123abc
(Member)
02/26/12 04:58 PM

Thanks man, I'm working at my old job that I use to have changing oil and detailing cars full time so I have income again. Just really feels like I took a step backwards in my career but whatever, I'm happy.

Sick of this so called "winter" season, and wasting my snow tires on dry pavement every day so I put the summer wheels on. I like the 18's on the Galant, I'm curious what others think. My guess is the general vote will be too big:

Yes, car is filthy. Now that I'm working back at my old quick-lube car wash job I'm going to wash it really good, wax it, and clean the inside tomorrow after work.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
02/26/12 05:16 PM

Good idea painting the tail light trim, i always hated how the 92's had that silver around them. just doesnt look right.

Fukenvr4
(Newbie)
02/27/12 12:49 AM

Mad props. Very nice build

4wheelsqueal
(Member +)
02/27/12 08:49 AM

Quoting mechacode:

I have the original rearend from this car, been quite awhile. It was barely a shell last time I saw it.

I think you picked up that rear end the day before i picked up the shell. And no, he doesnt have the original gas tank. I took it off this car because i didnt want it getting surface rust inside it while it was sitting in the barn and i sold it about a month before you bought the shell.

mitsuturbo
(Banthony )
02/27/12 02:43 PM

Yes, that black stuff behind the bearing race was melted plastic. That used to be an oil guide of sorts.

123abc
(Member)
03/14/12 09:29 AM

I found that out after taking mine apart. Things were hot, no doubt.

Took a couple pics after washing it at work. Finally had a chance to clean my garage up a bit with the nice weather.

I'm really needing DSMlink. I'm so damn sick of my knock sensor picking up every stupid little thing thats going on. That, and I need bigger injectors and don't want to tune with the translator anymore.

123abc
(Member)
04/14/12 10:09 AM

Took a couple more pics the other day after washing it:

The transmission I assembled is almost to 3000 miles but is making noises. Luckily I found a good trans/t-case combo for 125 so I'm just waiting on some Diaqueen trans fluid to arrive and then I'll swap it. Car is running okay, knock sensor still sucks. I'm rocking 20-22 psi but I'm running out of fuel at 22. A friend of mine has some 750's that I'll put in to take care of that issue. If not, then I'll have to get a 255 wally.

123abc
(Member)
04/29/12 07:40 PM

Was able to mount the tires I bought off of Cam, Nitto 555zr's 235/45/R17. Mounted them on my stealth TT rims that I just finished painting black. I like the new look, not nearly as flashy as the 18's and better grip.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page