rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/05/11 05:54 PM
Disassembly and paint of 692

I started the complete disassembly of the VR4 today. Doesn't need a lot of body work, so I'm hoping to have it painted in about a week and back together maybe next weekend! Will post some updates as I go along. Painting it Dover White from the newer Galant's.

Boost4U
(Member)
11/05/11 09:07 PM
Re: Disassembly and paint of 692

Looks like a good start to doing it the right way. Good luck. Should be very nice when you're done.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/05/11 10:04 PM

those wheels are sweet, look like Racing Hart's

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/05/11 10:53 PM

Quoting FavNumber:

I'd love to get my car painted; what wheels are those?

Those old things......I was planning on throwing them in the recycle bin before it hits the road again!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/05/11 10:54 PM

lol i hope your kidding

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/05/11 11:40 PM

Haha they look like Borbet's. I bought a stang years back with similar wheels.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/05/11 11:46 PM

they might be racing Hart CX's

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/05/11 11:54 PM

Wrong

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/05/11 11:54 PM

Ya, sans 1 spoke haha

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/05/11 11:58 PM

dang how did i miss that, let me check some more, maybe its a diff one from racing hart still

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/06/11 12:01 AM

Maybe!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 12:03 AM

k K here they are, Racing Hart CR's

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/06/11 12:06 AM

Mayyyybe an older version without the rivet-pups.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 12:08 AM

well yeah that one pictured is one of their Multi Piece versions, they offered that rim in a single piece aswell without the little screws on the lip

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/06/11 12:11 AM

You're E-drooling arent you. You want em baddddddd

bobdole
(Old member with new to me VR4 and starting over. Respect your elders kids)
11/06/11 12:12 AM

lol wrong again Mike. Those are RH wheels. Not Racing Hart. They are a 1pc cast wheel.

marvinmadman
(Senior Member)
11/06/11 12:17 AM

Katana vr6

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 12:17 AM

and RH stands for??

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/06/11 12:18 AM

Oh man Mike's on a Google frenzy right now guarantee it.

bobdole
11/06/11 12:24 AM

Quoting GSX_TC:

and RH stands for??

Ok quick wheel lesson. Dazz Motorsports (out of business now)imported Racing Hart wheels to the USA. Dazz wanted a cheaper wheel line to make/sell them self's, but they wanted to use a name that was well known. RH was the name. The made a few wheels over the years. RH C5,C2, CX and CR. I had a set of 18" RH C5 on my old GVR4 back in 2001. Can't remember who they used to make the wheel. I keep thinking Enkei, but not 100% sure on that. They sold a ton of them. So they aren't nothing special really.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 12:35 AM

ok but the RH still refers to Racing Hart though, Unofficially of course.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/06/11 08:22 AM

They are 17" Racing Harts!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/06/11 06:33 PM

I knew I was Right =)

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/06/11 07:09 PM

Some more photo's. I managed to get the doors all apart, as well as the bumpers and trunk. Started some body work and will hopefully prime all the parts or the body by wednesday.

The biggest pain that I have had is removing the moulding at the top of the doors....Trying to get my hand up in the door to release the clips so I wouldn't hurt the moulding. I think my arms will be hurting for the next couple of days!

Terrance362
(needs moar imput)
11/08/11 03:43 PM

Damn nice work. Keep the updates coming

jepherz
(Too Clean)
11/09/11 12:32 AM

I had to take my windows out to remove the molding. Keep posting pics!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/09/11 09:44 PM

Got some parts in primer today, but forgot to take any pics....But it's coming along. Will post some more pics tomorrow!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 12:36 AM

Late night......

My plan is to block the doors, trunk and hood tomorrow after I prime the car....Paint the doors, trunk and hood while the primer dries on the car then block and paint the car...Not sure about the other 100 pieces that came off of it yet, but I'll fit them in somewhere!

Will keep updating as I go along!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 06:01 PM

Jason G.
(Bourne Employment Supremacy)
11/12/11 06:06 PM

Great work. What type of primer and paint are you using? Also, what type of spray gun are you using?

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 06:20 PM

I run a fabrication/restoration business. We have a full PPG DBC2000 base coat mixing station. I spray with Sata guns. I use a 1.5 tip for my sealer gun, a 1.3 tip for my base gun, and a 1.4 tip for my clear gun. My primer gun is a 2.2 tip!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 06:27 PM

To answer your question about the primer...I use K38 and K201 for the primer. I use mainly DP40 and DP401LF for sealer. I use DCD35 and DFX11 for my clear. The other product that I use a lot of is DT870-898. This is a reducer that lets my chose how fast things dry. DT870 when I need things to dry quickly all the way up to DT898 if I need them to dry slowly. I am refering to drying as time between coats so that I don't get dry spots from overspray! I.E. If I am paint a complete car all together I need to time to spray a full coat of clear before it starts to set up so I will use DT898. If I am just doing jambs or the under side of hoods or trunks I will use DT870!

Jason G.
(Bourne Employment Supremacy)
11/12/11 07:49 PM

Thanks, are you using any sealer on this particular job?

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 07:57 PM

I am...I like to use it anywhere that there is different product's. Meaning if I sand through the primer and it doesn't really need filler of if I have had to spot prime something. If there is any chance that the car has been painted I will generally spray sealer anyway to make sure I don't have problems. If it's a color I know will not cover well I will use the sealer to get a consistant color before I spray any base!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/12/11 10:17 PM

Some paint work done....Lots more to do! I think I counted 31 pieces of the top of my head, but could be more......

bobdole
11/13/11 04:15 AM

Looks very nice. Keep up the great work.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
11/13/11 11:20 AM

Looks like it will be a good color in the end. What type of prep do you find you have to do on the underside of the hood/trunk lid?

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/13/11 06:56 PM

I wipe them down with wax and grease remover. Scuff them using a scuff pad and Ajax cleanser. I them pressure wash them to make sure that there is no dirt left in there (when there is sufficient time to let them dry over night). I then put them in the booth and paint!

This is were I would suggest spraying sealer!

After one coat of clear

38 parts and I didn't even pull the fenders off....That was a busy weekend! Now time for the second coat of clear....

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/13/11 06:59 PM

Hood is Lookin pretty Spiffy

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/13/11 07:38 PM

Must be nice to have such a facility at your disposal. A full respray without removal of all the different panels is expensive enough as it is. To get all that removed and redone is crazy money. Nice work.

I am lucky enough to have a couple of buddies that work in a local autobody shop, one of which is an excellent painter. Without him, I don't think I would have been able to afford all the paintwork I've had done to my JDM parts over the years as I aquired them.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/13/11 09:04 PM

It is nice to have all this my disposal! My business partner and I have worked very hard to get our shop set up to do this work. The paint mixing station is only about 3 months old. We installed the paint booth a little over a year ago.....Now we are going to move shops. Not something that we planned on a year ago, but we have the ability to move out of 5,000 sq. ft. that is seperated in 3 different shop into 13,000 sq. ft. and it will be in the same space and not raise our rent by much!

Hopefully I can get some of it assembled this week!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/18/11 03:41 PM

I can't decide if I like the red stripe! I think I do, but will have to wait to pull it outside with everything on it! I still have to paint the bumpers and filler panel below the headlights....And repaint the right rear door. I was training one of my employee's how to buff and he burnt thru the paint. Only one way to learn, doing it! Hopefully will have it done next week sometime. Just in time to install the Ohlin shocks that I purchased!!!!!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/18/11 03:50 PM

The red might look better if you accent some else in red on the car somewheres, A glossy black line would like nice aswell

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/18/11 09:36 PM

I'm thinking about a red stripe around the wheels! It has Baer brakes on it that have red letters engraved in the calipers. Maybe some redline tires? Ok it's not a late 70's muscle car.

minneSNOWta
(Member +)
11/18/11 09:46 PM

This is really cool! I like the hood scoop too. Congratulations on getting your business going. I'm still in the way early stages of getting a business together. Setting up an orchid nursery isn't easy. I think the red stripe would look sweet if you had black rims with a red lip. If I lived near you, I'd definitely support your business because I want my car restored.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/18/11 10:05 PM

I'm thinking of painting the wheels charcoal or something dark with a red stripe around them!

Running business is not easy and takes a lot of time when your not able to bill out for any work. We have employee's and even had a full time painter up till monday, but had to let him go. Makes for a stressful times. I bet setting up an orchid business is a lot of hard work. I wouldn't do well with that. I like metal....If you cut it off too short just weld it back on. Not exactly that way with plant's!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/18/11 10:31 PM

"I'm thinking of painting the wheels charcoal or something dark with a red stripe around them!"

Sounds like a good idea too me

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
11/19/11 01:13 AM

My car in the UK got a red stripe from the factory

White wheels with red lettering would also work on your car in my opinion.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/19/11 10:45 AM

Yeah, but they also put the steering wheel on the wrong side!!!!

Boost4U
(Member)
11/19/11 09:32 PM

Looks reay good. Well done.

Ian M
(waiting for the bus)
11/20/11 11:24 AM

Looks great! Congrats on the business,a buddy of mine opened a restoration shop a couple years ago when the carpentry work dried up. I started working part time for him about 6 months ago,in spite of the economy there seems to be PLENTY of restoration work right now!

I'm not really into the red stripe myself though,reminds me of the '80s Chevy Corsica,Celebrity,Beretta etc that all had it. In the rougher neighbood I grew up in all the drug dealers had them. Of course,I suppose you'd have to be pretty old like me to remember those cars...

dammitjim
(Member +)
11/20/11 12:09 PM

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/20/11 03:30 PM

theres a pizza guy that works for Dominoes over here on base that drives an XR4ti

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/20/11 09:43 PM

Quoting Ian M:

Looks great! Congrats on the business,a buddy of mine opened a restoration shop a couple years ago when the carpentry work dried up. I started working part time for him about 6 months ago,in spite of the economy there seems to be PLENTY of restoration work right now!

I'm not really into the red stripe myself though,reminds me of the '80s Chevy Corsica,Celebrity,Beretta etc that all had it. In the rougher neighbood I grew up in all the drug dealers had them. Of course,I suppose you'd have to be pretty old like me to remember those cars...

I'm not into the chrome strip either....All I did was put a red pin stripe on my chrome strip. If I don't like it when I get it all together I will just pull it off and try a different color! Unfortunetly I am old enough to remember those cars! I guess I like the GVR4 because I started driving when they were new!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/26/11 10:25 PM

Got some stuff done today...Lights installed, grill installed, side skirt installed, etc. Had to repaint the right rear door, rear wing and door handle. Painted the rear bumper and gas door. Waiting on the glue to dry for the front bumper. Hopefully will prime that in the morning and sand and paint in the afternoon after installing the rear bumper, right rear door, and gas door.

It's coming along. My Ohlin shocks will be here monday. Just in time I think!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/27/11 05:11 AM

Tail lights look good, did u buff them out?

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/27/11 08:46 AM

I did buff them out. Thanks for noticing!

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/27/11 09:54 AM

Awesome, looking good. Think I'm gonna buff mine out aswell

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/27/11 09:09 PM

Below is a situation were I would want to use sealer. Any place that has a difference on products. I didn't want or need to prime and block the whole bumper so I just primed and blocked the area's were I did work! I was also able to pick up a set of roof molding's as mine were in bad shape. The paint was really thin so I wanted to put something (sealer) before I put the paint on! I also use a different catalyst for the DP40 sealer. It is DP401LF, it dries slower and is more flexible than the DP402LF and should be used on anything plastic or rubber.

I'm hoping t install the front bumper and filler strip in the morning and hopefully be ready when the Fedex guy shows up with my new shocks.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/30/11 09:46 PM

Very close on putting this thing back on the road. Everything is installed except for the window trim moulding's as I am waiting for the new clips to come in for them. Started on installing the new Ohlin shocks. I have only had enough time to pull the AGX off. I have some stuff coming to make the new shocks bolt up. Hopefully be driving it by the weekend! Will post up some pics once I get it back on the ground. All this just in time for the winter weather.......

rdomeck
(Member ++)
12/13/11 07:14 PM

Haven't really cleaned it up yet, but it's getting there. Not sure about adding a red stripe to the wheels. I might paint the Racing Heart in the wheels red.....

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
12/13/11 09:20 PM

wow looks amazing , what to do mine next with white and a blue strip after i get her running?? haha

gramkrakr89
(Now with Jelly next week is roasted marshmallows and hershey bars)
12/13/11 11:10 PM

looking great - the hood really does look slick now!

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/05/12 08:30 PM

Never posted a completed photo....

bobdole
11/05/12 09:59 PM

Looks really good. I like it.

boostin4door
(Member)
11/26/12 02:57 AM

Looks Good!
Not feeliong the red stripe though

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/26/12 09:02 AM

^I needed something to make it look fast!^

matt92vr4
(Member ++)
11/26/12 01:02 PM

Looks great! Very nice. Thanks for keeping one in good shape.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
11/26/12 01:07 PM

Paint looks like it came out good...I didn't read the thread, but almost looks like a pearl or greyish hue to it in one of those pics, but probably the light.

The red stripe reminds me of the 87-93 Mustang GT...I had a burgundy convert and it had the orange stripe and man was that a PITA to remove...I know this is different, but just saying that's what it reminds me of.

Don't like the driving lights at all, but if they function and you use them...the scoop itself looks nice, but IMHO would've been better centered, although I know from a functional POV it's in a good place. Any provisions for rain, etc.? (again didn't read the thread so maybe you mentioned somewhere).

rdomeck
(Member ++)
11/26/12 01:20 PM

The scoop was made to get air to a top mounted intercooler......That just didn't work out so well. I will end up making a box for the air cleaner to go into and make the scoop functional. Right now it is just open. I will more than likely put a drain somewhere in it. Luckily it runs down towards the bumper, some water will get in, but most of it will run out.

The paint is a pearl dirty white. It is what's used on the newer Mitsubishi's. Dover white.

The driving lights are not currently installed and I miss them. Really nice to have on back roads. You can see for a mile with them on and that's really handy for those jumping deer this time of year. When I have time I will put them back on! I know that they are not for everyone and I'm ok with that.

JNR
(5 star (English Professor) member Has extensive pop up picture book collection)
11/26/12 01:34 PM

yeah, sometimes function is better than looks (like the lights) and if they get used, then worth it; especially if it's winter or something where you're not driving fast (as in being non-aerodynamic).

Ah, was thinking the scoop was for a "ram air" intake or something...Was going to suggest for aesthetic purposes, maybe it'd look better then if you have another scoop identical on the opposite side also, mirror image. Probably be non-functional though, unless maybe you used it in conjunction with cooling of the radiant heat from the manifold/turbo, etc. Maybe it wouldn't look good though, who knows...a lot of work to find out

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/28/12 08:01 AM

Those lights really set it off, good job!

misterfixit
(Victory Runner)
12/04/12 07:00 AM

Quoting dammitjim:

100% Essex

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
12/04/12 10:29 AM

Is that the summit white on the galant? looks a little different.

rdomeck
(Member ++)
12/04/12 11:21 AM

Quoting rdomeck:

The scoop was made to get air to a top mounted intercooler......That just didn't work out so well. I will end up making a box for the air cleaner to go into and make the scoop functional. Right now it is just open. I will more than likely put a drain somewhere in it. Luckily it runs down towards the bumper, some water will get in, but most of it will run out.

The paint is a pearl dirty white. It is what's used on the newer Mitsubishi's. Dover white.

The driving lights are not currently installed and I miss them. Really nice to have on back roads. You can see for a mile with them on and that's really handy for those jumping deer this time of year. When I have time I will put them back on! I know that they are not for everyone and I'm ok with that.

Just a little reading required^^^

MellowVR4
(5" too short)
12/04/12 12:31 PM

THNX, I got lazy

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page