**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 08:23 PM
Homemade rear bumper support help

I just got a VIS rear bumper cover because the rear bumper melted and so did the foam inside. I would like to get the bumper cover back but since I have kids I would rather add a rear support. I know that Curtis did some pretty cool stuff with a Volvo rear bumper but not sure I want to go that route. It seems like a pain in the behind for someone who is not as skilled (like me). I have also seen another poster us some brackets from Lowes to get the rear bumper to fit. I don't want to go down that route either. Curtis has been most helpful as far as what I might want to do but I haven't done anything like this before and don't want to wear him down.

Any ideas what I need to get? My vehicle has been down for months because I don't want to put the rusty stocker back in.

Thanks for any ideas

SouthCaliVR4
(Gas Analyzer)
09/21/11 08:55 PM
Re: Homemade rear bumper support help

anything aside from the stocker is going to require some fab skills. the Curtis Volvo mod also involved shortening the bumper, if I recall correctly. post up in WTB & I bet someone will have one for you.

IncorpoRatedX
(I'm an idiot...)
09/21/11 08:59 PM

Quoting blkchr91:

I just got a VIS rear bumper cover because the rear bumper melted and so did the foam inside. I would like to get the bumper cover back but since I have kids I would rather add a rear support. I know that Curtis did some pretty cool stuff with a Volvo rear bumper but not sure I want to go that route. It seems like a pain in the behind for someone who is not as skilled (like me). I have also seen another poster us some brackets from Lowes to get the rear bumper to fit. I don't want to go down that route either. Curtis has been most helpful as far as what I might want to do but I haven't done anything like this before and don't want to wear him down.

Any ideas what I need to get? My vehicle has been down for months because I don't want to put the rusty stocker back in.

Thanks for any ideas

buy a stock replacement bumper from the junkyard, put the stock bumper core back on, for the safety of your children and so you're not embarrassing them by driving an early 90's japanese sedan with a body kit... you're not some 19 year old douche bag trying to impress 17 year old girls, are you?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 09:25 PM

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:

anything aside from the stocker is going to require some fab skills. the Curtis Volvo mod also involved shortening the bumper, if I recall correctly. post up in WTB & I bet someone will have one for you.

No one has been willing to ship the stocker thus far, that is why I bought the VIS which is shortened already. Not sure if that is what you meant.

jcgalntvr4-244
(WAY 2 many)
09/21/11 09:28 PM

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 09:32 PM

Quoting Alpha Male:

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

buy a stock replacement bumper from the junkyard, put the stock bumper core back on, for the safety of your children and so you're not embarrassing them by driving an early 90's japanese sedan with a body kit... you're not some 19 year old douche bag trying to impress 17 year old girls, are you?

What junkyard? One from 300 miles away when no one will ship? East of the Blue Ridge Mountains it isn't as easy to get parts. Are YOU some 19 year old trying to impress 17 year old girls?? It isn't a body kit, it is a rear bumper cover. I am not the only one here with a VIS rear bumper cover and/or no one with one seems to suffer from embarrassment or insecurity issues as far as I can see.

Anyways, I'd like to fab something up. No need to get off topic with BS posts.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 09:35 PM

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

And your point is what exactly? You don't like the rear bumper either or I guess you are just trying to show everyone what I am talking about?

IncorpoRatedX
(I'm an idiot...)
09/21/11 09:40 PM

Quoting blkchr91:

Quoting Alpha Male:

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

What junkyard? One from 300 miles away when no one will ship? East of the Blue Ridge Mountains it isn't as easy to get parts. Are YOU some 19 year old trying to impress 17 year old girls?? It isn't a body kit, it is a rear bumper cover. I am not the only one here with a VIS rear bumper cover and/or no one with one seems to suffer from embarrassment or insecurity issues as far as I can see.

Anyways, I'd like to fab something up. No need to get off topic with BS posts.

you try click ?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 09:46 PM

Alpha Male...I tried that...closest is in PA I believe. The guy just about dropped dead on the phone when I asked him to ship it.

AutobahnTom has one but he is way up there in MD as compared to where I live. Seriously, I think the rear bumper would be ok when painted up etc. Not crazy about fiberglass but didn't want to spend $500 shipped for a JDM bumper and then have to paint it.

I got the VIS for like $210 shipped to my door.

mikus
(weiterhin das Huhn f#$k)
09/21/11 10:05 PM

guys, let's get back on topic. Let's help get a bumper on, wait for some pics, THEN talk smack if you feel its needed.

OP is the issue here the safety factor, having crash protection? Or is "on and straight" sufficient? Does the VIS bumper seem like it'd mount up just like stock or is there need-to-know info there?

IIRC the curtis bumper started with Volvo but moved on to some sort of basic aluminum bar, I thought it was a bolt-up affair. He prolly would have told you as much though.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/21/11 10:37 PM

Thanks Mikus...hopefully we can collaborate and help each other out since parts are getting harder to come by and we share such a small community. I'd rather lean on the side of safety with the kids even though there are arguments as to whether or not a 5mph bumper is needed. The rear bumper does essentially bolt up. I haven't painted it yet, but can shoot some pics of it up close during the day even if it is banana yellow and primed right now. There are mounts on the side of the bumper which are just like the stocker. The center of the bumper is what doesn't mount up perfectly. Got a hold of "Hittman" who is facing a remotely related situation locally. He is willing to meet up with me and let me see what a JDM rear bumper support is like up close so that I can take measurements and/or make a judgement call. My kids are my life. Even though I own 4 other vehicles and they are RARELY in the vehicle you just never know. I bought the GVR4 over a DSM for that reason alone....a little bit of family time.

NateCrisman
(Fisheye Hoodpins)
09/21/11 10:59 PM

A post I made in a different thread (USDM bumper vs JDM bumper):

Quote:

To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics.

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair:

jcgalntvr4-244
(WAY 2 many)
09/22/11 01:50 AM

Quoting blkchr91:

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

And your point is what exactly? You don't like the rear bumper either or I guess you are just trying to show everyone what I am talking about?

I was just showing what you were talking about I have nothing bad to say about that bumper ..Personally Id take that bumper over the stupid park bench rear bumper our cars came with. Now that being said I would have saved my 215.00 and just put it towards this.
click

Anyway I want to see the bumper on your car. Im not calling you out or filling your topic with BS .

Cheers,
JC

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/11 06:24 AM

Quoting NateCrisman:

A post I made in a different thread (USDM bumper vs JDM bumper):

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics.

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair:

This is the post I was referring to. I really like that setup. It is practical and straight forward. Would it be possible to add just a little bit more support to that setup? It obviously holds the bumper up just fine. Just with the kids, I'd want a little bit more support. I know that you side with the idea that the rear bumper makes no difference over 5 mph and obviously very qualified to say that. However, some say otherwise.

Any thoughts? Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/11 06:36 AM

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:

Quoting blkchr91:

Quoting jcgalntvr4-244:

Quoting blkchr91:

Thanks for any ideas

Very sorry that I assumed. It is not above me to apologize sincerely for that. I took a look at that pic and afterwards figured that you were showing me how ugly it looks in that context AND IT DOES lol. Anyways, the VIS is just like the JDM rear bumper as far as depth goes. With that said, I think (personally) that a used JDM bumper for close to $500 shipped is too much money. I'd rather have a fresh part although I am dreading fiberglass and having to pull it down and repainting it if things go wrong. Now I do realize that it would have come with a support. However, for the $200 saved, I should be able to fab up something.

I was just showing what you were talking about I have nothing bad to say about that bumper ..Personally Id take that bumper over the stupid park bench rear bumper our cars came with. Now that being said I would have saved my 215.00 and just put it towards this.
click

Anyway I want to see the bumper on your car. Im not calling you out or filling your topic with BS .

Cheers,
JC

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/11 06:42 AM

Maybe add something like the area in black? Whatever piece of metal in there should be lightweight I am guessing but strong enough to make a difference in an impact.

spooling92vr4
(Yeah Toast! * Now with JELLY!!!)
09/22/11 09:01 AM

i dont see the big deal.. look on curtis' thread with the volvo support. I remember someone going and using box aluminium for the support

I dont see why you cant just cut off the stock support bracket "tabs" and get some box aluminium(sp?) and either rivet or bolt the tabs on, and then figure out a way to fasten the bumper to that box...

or just go get a stock galant bumper cover, they can be made to work they just aren't as pretty.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/22/11 05:40 PM

I don't remember seeing someone using the box channel. I think Curtis suggested it. Good idea on cutting the bracket tabs off. What would I need to cut them off with? Again, the stock galant bumper cover is hard to get around here. I would rather kill myself in my yard instead of driving a few states and burning up gas. Our junkyards are massive and yet have like 10 mitsus in them on average. You can bet there won't be any Galant of any trim in the yard.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/11/11 06:21 PM

Finally got this done. Cut the stock brackets off, ground them down to bare metal, and brushed them down with Ford corrosion inhibitor. Added some brackets etc, etc, etc. It took me about 2.5 days of nearly non stop work to get it all right. I hope that I don't have to go through this again for a LONG LONG LONG time. I left the muffler tip angled a bit low to avoid the hassle of melting my bumper again. I used 3 rattle cans of BG basecoat and 3 cans of clearcoat to ensure coverage. I am happy with the outcome.

Here is a pic...

dewman
(searches...with eyes closed )
10/11/11 06:32 PM

That actually doesn't look half bad,although the pic is kinda dark.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/11/11 06:42 PM

Yeah I don't get it....the car always shows up super dark. It really is like 2 shades lighter. Something with the camera.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/11/11 06:49 PM

Here is another...feel free to dislike it or like it everyone. I am happy with it personally. As another poster said, have at it once I have it up.

I'll survive, especially since I like it.

mr.mitsu
(Member +++)
10/11/11 06:50 PM

Dzus (sp?) 1/4 turn clips in the corners would be nice too

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/11/11 07:00 PM

Not sure what you mean.

Here is another pic.

Diego
(Mad Hatter Suite Touche Debackle Guage filled by Justin)
10/11/11 07:00 PM

Day time pictures would be better. There is still sun outside why not snap a better picture.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/11/11 07:02 PM

It's nearly pitch black out. I'll shoot some during the day. My camera is crap.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/13/11 07:44 AM

Raining all day yesterday oh well.

EMX5636
(Carbon Fiber Cage)
10/15/11 08:55 PM

Bump for some better pics!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/17/11 07:17 AM

Lol, coming sooner or later.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/24/11 01:15 PM

Finally here you go...not bad for a NEW PART....$210 shipped as opposed to paying nearly $500 bucks shipped for a used JDM one. That's just me.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
11/24/11 03:05 PM

I like it. Any side pic's of the car, I would like to see how low it goes.

Brunoboy
(Jesus Clips)
11/24/11 04:03 PM

New alternative to a Jdm rear ?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/24/11 04:30 PM

Thanks, will try to get some more pics tomorrow in the light after the turkey deep fry lol.

stealthtt24
(Holy deer monkey donkey balls looking for a pole)
11/25/11 12:45 PM

Actually not half bad, little wide for my taste but otherwise for $210 thats a pretty good option.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/25/11 01:07 PM

Yes, I agree on the width.

Here is a pic from the side for citymunky as requested.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
11/25/11 02:32 PM

thanks for the side pic, but I'm trying to see to whole side profile. ( I just hate kits the tend to be lower than the rest of the car.)

A pic like this or something close.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/27/11 08:59 AM

I'll get some more pics soon. If that is your car, it looks great. I can tell you just from looking at the bumper that it is lower than the rest of the other panels so it probably wouldn't suit you. There are other parts to the body kit, but unless something else happened to 76 I wouldn't bother with it.

citymunky
(Fake Title)
11/27/11 07:12 PM

Haha that's not my Galant, is not even the same color as mine. Anyway is a pic of what I was talking about. Note how the front bumper sits like a inch lower than the side skirts.

turbowop
(Hard Snarker)
11/27/11 07:56 PM

Quoting blkchr91:

Could you not find a stock USDM rear bumper for the car? That thing doesn't look right at all.

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
11/27/11 07:57 PM

I actually don't think that with a back bumper it is as much of an issue as with the front. I'd actually be interested in a full side profile shot as well. I do think as it stands it looks a little bit too wide at the back but it really isn't a bad looking bumper by all accounts.

I admit like most on this forum that this car does not lend itself to extravagant body kits, but looking at that makes me wonder if some tastefully done flares with wider wheels and a similar front bumper might look quite good as long as the styling remained close to that of the OEM JDM/AMG front bumper.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/28/11 07:30 AM

Quoting citymunky:

Haha that's not my Galant, is not even the same color as mine. Anyway is a pic of what I was talking about. Note how the front bumper sits like a inch lower than the side skirts.

I see what you mean, I guess you are scarred.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/28/11 07:31 AM

Quoting turbowop:

Quoting blkchr91:

Could you not find a stock USDM rear bumper for the car? That thing doesn't look right at all.

Lol, no I couldn't.

GSX_TC
(295hp 35r BR4)
11/28/11 07:51 AM

I don't like it because it deletes the chrome strip and doesn't really look like it belongs on a VR4, but it's nice to see something different than the usual usdm/jdm ones.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/03/11 10:26 AM

I hated the chrome strip and it's peeling top clear layer (at least on mine). I think that a BG looks good with chrome personally.

Thanks for all of the thoughts good and bad.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page