**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
08/31/10 09:04 PM
1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?

The previous owner of this vehicle put a 1g power steering rack on the car and got rid of the 4WS. I believe that the power steering pump may be dead (no power steering even though there is fluid) (I ran it low on fluid and refilling it hasn't helped). I also noticed that one of the steering pump boots was broken a few weeks ago. What do the boots do and could that be the cause of my no power steering?

I checked and it looks like the DSM and GVR4 ps pump use different part numbers.

Does anyone know how I can tell which pump my car has? Are they 100% interchangeable?

Thanks

SouthCaliVR4
(Gas Analyzer)
09/01/10 02:06 PM
Re: 1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?

I assume you mean the dust boots on the rack, in which case no that will cause premature wear on the end seal & eventually a leak. It does sound as though the pump is bad but I don't know off the top of my head if they're the same as dsm, I think so but I'm not sure.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/01/10 06:21 PM
Re: 1g DSM Steering Rack...which Power Steering Pump? Is my PS Pump dead?

You should be able to run the dsm pump with no issues. I have before. IIRC, the different part numbers are there because some pumps have an all cast iron housing, while others had an aluminum body with a cast iron back plate. I've run all types, with no noticeable difference in performance.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.003 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page