**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/28/06 10:48 AM
Valve cover vent + PCV question

I've done a little searching but didn't find much. However, I think this information is out there. I just can't seem to find it.

I want my valve cover vent to be routed like stock. From the valve cover to the intake pipe. But I don't want any oil in my intake. I'm not sure how a real catch can works. I am thinking oil would still pass through one under high boost circumstances. Is there a way to plumb everything so air can travel freely in both directions but oil can't get in the intake?

I thought about an in line filter, but it would just get clogged up with oil. I also thought about a pcv in reverse or a on way valve, but both of those would only let air travel one way as well.

Can someone explain the internal workings of a catch can to me? Does any one have any ideas how to accomplish no oil in my intake?

PJGross
(both buccal and lingual)
09/28/06 11:19 AM
Re: Valve cover vent + PCV question

For the catch can, oil shoots in, slaps against the opposite wall, and slides down (hopefully) while air exits out another opening. I would think that angled inlets and outlets so that incoming air spirals around the sides and then exits out the center of the top, would be a great way to go. For the RRE can (old one), for example, you could plug the other side port, and put your line to the intake coming off the top where the filter would be.

There are posts on here using various filters in line, and I would think that would be a good secondary catch between the exit of the can and the intake.

RRE catch cans here

The new no-name catch can from RRE looks pretty slick. I never know how much is in my catch can, this seems like a good upgrade if I go with a two can approach to keep the PCV operational. Its a better design to separate oil, but you could still use a clear fuel filter as a double check for its operation.

-PJ

stealthtt24
(Holy deer monkey donkey balls looking for a pole)
09/28/06 11:21 AM

the url button is fucked, but thats the thread i was looking at.
Im either going to go back to stock or have some sort of catch can between the valve cover vent and my intake pipe, pcv will be left stock.

URL button FTW

PJGross
(both buccal and lingual)
09/28/06 11:23 AM

just to add, no, the old RRE can does not to my knowledge spiral the air. I just suggested that that would be a nice design, kind of like that fancy vaccuum cleaner, or industrial particulate filters (for sawdust, etc). However, if using a return line, I would just avoid putting the return directly across from the inlet and you should be fine. I'd still exit out the top since oil particles are not dissolved in air, just suspended, and should slap the side of the tank anyway. The filter would be a nice check and if it looked clean after a few weeks, you could remove it or keep it as an indicator of something changing if you notice it getting full of oil at some point.

-PJ

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/28/06 12:47 PM

Why would you want it hooked up like stock?

iLLeffeKt vr-4
(Hertz pulverized mine)
09/28/06 12:53 PM

i installed two in line fuel filters. one from the PCV to the manifold and the other from the side exit of the valve cover to the intake pipe. so far i've put about 200 miles on the car and not even one drop of oil in any of the filters. i think it would take a very long time for them to get clogged up. and when they do they're only $3 each at pepboys/autozone.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/28/06 02:33 PM

Quote:

Why would you want it hooked up like stock?

I don't want to eliminate the pcv as I have read it serves a purpose (active removal). If I leave the valve cover vent vented to atmosphere, when the pcv opens the vc vent will act as a vacuum leak unless it sucks metered air. I want to eliminate the oil in my intake from when the flow is in the opposite direction.

It sounds like an in line catch can or an in line filter or both will fit the bill. I'm just concerned that when the turbo sucks air, it will suck hard enough to pull oil out of the catch can.

Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/28/06 02:45 PM

Catch cans are a proven solution. So are in-line filters. I use a cheap clear plastic fuel filter and it works great. After two or three months it will accumulate a little oil in the bottom but the filter material stays pretty clean...no evidence of clogging. Then I spend another 3 bucks and replace it.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/28/06 09:50 PM

any chance you could post a pic TOF?

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/29/06 12:52 AM

Quote:

Catch cans are a proven solution. So are in-line filters. I use a cheap clear plastic fuel filter and it works great. After two or three months it will accumulate a little oil in the bottom but the filter material stays pretty clean...no evidence of clogging. Then I spend another 3 bucks and replace it.

I have the same thing on my car. So far I can see oil being collected, but I haven't really looked at the inside of my IC piping to be sure that NONE is getting through. Here's a pic:

BadVr4
(wanted a different answer)
09/29/06 02:22 PM

why do you wanna run it into the stock intake? that blow by oil is bad for the turbo, just run a line from the breather and from the pcv valve to the catch can, and all problems solved!

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/29/06 02:43 PM

TSigvr4,
I know the oil is bad for the turbo. That is the point of this thread. I want to stop the oil from entering my intake pipe. But if I disconnect the pcv (ie run it to a catch can) I will lose active circulation under the valve cover. The pcv serves a purpose other than just emissions. It sucks the crap out. It might be fine to disconnect it on a drag car because those don't run for very long and the oil gets changed very often. But a daily driver is different.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/29/06 03:06 PM

Quote:

any chance you could post a pic TOF?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/07/06 09:00 PM

TOF, you might as well just run the valve cover vent to a catch can. Having it plumbed to the intake ahead of your MAF like that is really the exact same thing. Your valve cover vent is still sucking in non metered air when the PCV opens. The only advantage to your setup is that the air is being filtered.

The reason to run that vent back into the intake, is so that all air entering the engine has been counted. Your AFM (in this case a GM MAF) is well down stream of where that valve cover vent is hooked up to. That vent sucks air right in through your cone filter, totally bypassing the MAF.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/07/06 10:50 PM

Quote:

I don't want to eliminate the pcv as I have read it serves a purpose (active removal). If I leave the valve cover vent vented to atmosphere, when the pcv opens the vc vent will act as a vacuum leak unless it sucks metered air. I want to eliminate the oil in my intake from when the flow is in the opposite direction.

Thanks

I've always wonder how this "unmetered air" from valve cover vent can get into the cylinders?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/07/06 11:43 PM

"I've always wonder how this "unmetered air" from valve cover vent can get into the cylinders?"

Vacuum in the intake manifold sucks open the PCV valve and draws the unmetered air, along with any blow-by gases, directly into the intake manifold.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/07/06 11:56 PM

One more post and I will shut up for a while.

This appears to be a practical catch can. However the routing diagram is a little bit off for our purposes.

For our cars we would leave our PCV valve routing intact, and use the catch can on the "clean" side.

ebay auction

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 07:04 AM

Quote:

"I've always wonder how this "unmetered air" from valve cover vent can get into the cylinders?"

Vacuum in the intake manifold sucks open the PCV valve and draws the unmetered air, along with any blow-by gases, directly into the intake manifold.

so if you have both line(pcv and valve cover vent)hooked up to catch can, it shouldn't have any unmetered air right?

CP
(Still lingering, kinda like a chili and beer fart)
11/08/06 08:34 AM

My catchcan vent typically blows oil spray all over that side of the engine bay. I'm currently running NO pcv valve. I've routed both the valve cover and pcv outlets to my catchcan. The useless filter sits on top of it.

I'd like to get this back to as stock as possible by:

1) Adding an inline filter to the valve cover vent and running that beneath the car and out.
2) Re-installing the pcv valve and routing a hose from that to the catchcan.
3) Blocking the second inlet for the catchcan, and running a hose from the top outlet to a port on the intake manifold. This way the pcv valve is vaccuum activated, but the catchcan can hopefully catch oil in its liquid form before it gets to the intake mani. Obviously oil vapor can still pass to the intake.

So in this case, I would not be doing anything with the metered air coming from the valve cover vent.

Would this setup work, or will something screwy happen? I'd like to get the pcv valve back into the system and operational.

Polish
(Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger)
11/08/06 08:48 AM

When the PCV opens it will pull air out of the Valve cover. When you leave the vent tube open it can suck air through that and into the intake manifold, this will be unmetered air. Not much air but it will be there. After having my catch can a while and reading up on it more I too am going to put a pcv back in. I am going to tap my Dejon intake pipe for a barb fitting though and do it exactly as stock, with the exception of a catch can between the PCV and IM and filter on the Valve cover vent to Intake pipe hose to try and stop oil build up.

RayH
(Senior Member)
11/08/06 09:22 AM

If people are worried about unmetered air, you can put a T off the catchcan. Run one branch to the small filter and another branch to the stock intake location. Then put check valves in both branches so that under vacuum air comes from the stock intake and under pressure air goes out the filter.

Notice that the pcv valve and valve cover vent are close to opposite sides of the cover. This is so under vacuum you get a consistent flow of air through the top of the valve cover pulling any moisture from blow by out. Water is a by product of cumbustion and if not removed mixes with other things to form acids and sludge. Not that our engines are prone to sludging but it should keep your oil cleaner. People with catchcans should notice that it's not just oil that they're catching, if it was then there wouldn't be a problem with the contents freezing like some people have noticed.

CP
11/08/06 11:15 AM

Are those inline filter "fuel filters?" I just came back from AutoZone and all I could find were different fuel filters. I didn't even check for the one-way valves.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 12:34 PM

What you went to autozone and couldn't find what you wanted......naaaaaawwwww.

Polish
11/08/06 01:06 PM

Yes, clear fuel filters.

CP
11/08/06 01:06 PM

Bite it.

Are you in the Wakefield store today? If so, I'll stop by in the next hour and you can show me what you've got there.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 01:09 PM

No Wakefield is a different owner, they own that one and Saugus. I'm in Woburn. But there are no Galant VR-4 owners allowed here at the same time as me, things might start randomly breaking in the store for no reason.

CP
11/08/06 01:13 PM

I'll be there in 20 minutes...if I can find it.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 02:16 PM

Hey I guess this is the thread to ask this, we were talking about this at work the other day. Can you run a PCV valve inline??

Polish
11/08/06 02:28 PM

Inline with what? The vent hose to the intake?

Is so then no, that needs to be open. The OEM PCV is closed under boost when crank case pressure is highest, so all air/blow by needs to escape through the vent tube. If you put a PCV inline it would stop anything from exiting which you can see why wouldn't be good. If you meant the other way so that it was only forced open under crankcase pressure and was normally pulled shut by the vacuum in the crankcase from the Intake manifold I would lean towards no. Simply because they are not meant to work that way and if it clogged or something internally malfunctioned it could block the crankcases ability to vent, which could lead to blowing out dipstiks, messy engine bays or maybe worse.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 03:26 PM

Quote:

When the PCV opens it will pull air out of the Valve cover. When you leave the vent tube open it can suck air through that and into the intake manifold, this will be unmetered air.

If you mean by where pcv used to hook up to then I have that plugged. so I don't see how in the hell so called unmetered air can getting into conbustion chamber. I could see getting into crankcase but not in the cylinder where unmetered air is not wanted.

pcv valve is off of valve cover which is has nothing to do with intake mani. someone care to explain to me? am I missing something?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 09:00 PM

Quote:

If you mean by where pcv used to hook up to then I have that plugged. so I don't see how in the hell so called unmetered air can getting into conbustion chamber. I could see getting into crankcase but not in the cylinder where unmetered air is not wanted.

pcv valve is off of valve cover which is has nothing to do with intake mani. someone care to explain to me? am I missing something?

OP (Paul) still has his PCV plumbed into the intake manifold. If you have your manifold plugged in that spot, there is no worry about unmetered air. Only sludge

Stock routing is: Valve cover>PCV valve>intake manifold

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/08/06 10:23 PM

ok.. that's what I thought. but he made sounds like unmetered air was reason he doesn't want to get a catch can. which made no sense.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/09/06 05:52 AM

Best way to go is will always be to run a one breather and one way check valve off the Filter line to the valve cover. Then remove the pcv valve and run a line to an electric Vacuum Pump . Or you can use a mechanical unit like this ford one.

The second best way would be to run a one way valve and breather on the filter line and leave the pcv in the valve cover and run a line to something like this.

In this system you weld a fitting into the exhaust and as the gasses pass by it pulls vapors from the crankcase.

V8 guys have been using both setups for years and they do work.

Polish
11/09/06 07:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When the PCV opens it will pull air out of the Valve cover. When you leave the vent tube open it can suck air through that and into the intake manifold, this will be unmetered air.

Ok, so yours is plugged - good for you. I was talking about an OEM like setup.

PCV valve has a lot to do with the intake manifold considering it is hooked DIRECTLY to it, where else do you think the vacuum would come from?

Re-read my post again, it's really quite simple.

------------

As for the unmetered air, I will try again. If you leave the vent tube on the side of the valve cover open, whether with a filter clamped on it or have it running to a catch can or whatever unmetered air will get into the engine IF the PCV is still functional. This because under Vacuum the pcv is open and the engines vacuum PULLS air out of the crank case. Now if the breather port on the side is open to atmophere in one way or another air can be pulled into it, into the valve cover and right into the manifold. It couldn't be any simpler. Now is it a ton of air, no I highly doubt it. Was it a reason I said I didn't want a catch can? No, I already have a catch can installed.

Here are a few average DSM setups to help some of you understand since words are not enough sometimes.

This is a race setup, you will see most 1/4 only guys have this. I do not suggest it for street for a few reasons. I used to think it was the end all setup and nothing else was better but with some reading and having it on my car for over 1000 miles it's not that great for street use. Your engine bay will become and oily mess directly around the filter on the catch can, because of crank case pressure blowing out the filter at high rpm's. This air has tiny oil particles with it. Also your crank case will never get the condensation pulled out of it. So the oil will get watery in a sense. Also any smoke or blow by will just mix in with the oil as opposed to be possibly pulled out. Again, if you make huge power and need maximum crank case venting - sure this setup is ok. If you drive on the street alot and don't live at the track I don't see hy you need this setup. It has ZERO benefits other than clean IC pipes and max crank case venting. Clean IC pipes can be achived with sealed catch cans and filter. You only need tons of crank case venting if you make huge power or spend all your time at WOT like a Rally car for 20 minutes straight.

Stock setup, only flaw being dirty IC pipes. A filter will cure that if you keep it changed.

Your average street DSM setup. I do not like this setup. I've already mentioned why a few times.

Proper setup, in my opinion for a street DSM/4G63. After me personally beating the research horse to death and having the "race" setup on my car to which I don't like or need.

There are other options also these are just the most common setups you see in the DSM/GVR4 world.

Maybe/Hopefully this will clear it up for some of you.

CP
01/10/07 11:27 AM

Back from the dead.

So this is my other little project for the week. I'm going to re-install my PCV valve and run the hose to my catchcan. I'm going to seal the other catchcan port (which currently has a hose attached to it from the valve cover breather) and route a hose from the top of the cc to my intake minifold.

For the valve cover breather, I'm going to install an inline fuel filter, and then figure out a way to attach that hose to my intake, pre-turbo. My intake pipe is currently un-tapped. Can I just run that hose underneath the car and forget about it?

I guess I'm still not understanding the issues here. I get the PCV vac/boost phenomenon, but not the valve cover breather and how it works. Can it just be vented to atmosphere?

Polish
01/10/07 11:57 AM

Yes, it can. However when the PCV gets pulled open bay vacuum it will pull air through that breather line. So a small amount of unmetered air will enter the intake. Not nearly enough to make a large difference imho, still not "correct" though. Thats how I have been running mine because I have yet to tap my intake pipe. I just have a hose with a filter on the end coming off the breather line. Then a new oem pcv routed right to the intake manifold.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
01/11/07 08:13 AM

Quote:

Back from the dead.

So this is my other little project for the week. I'm going to re-install my PCV valve and run the hose to my catchcan. I'm going to seal the other catchcan port (which currently has a hose attached to it from the valve cover breather) and route a hose from the top of the cc to my intake minifold.

Why are you going to run a PCV with it routed to a catch can?

CP
01/11/07 08:46 AM

So the crap coming through it is contained and not re-introduced to the intake manifold.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
01/11/07 09:22 AM

So you're going to run a PCV valve, and then run a line from that into the catch can? And block off the port on the intake manifold? Everything else is stock?

If that's the case, there isn't going to be any vacuum anyways, and nothing is going to be sucked back into your PCV valve. IMO, if you're running it that way you might as well run no PCV valve and at least get the benefit of higher flow through to the catchcan.

Polish
01/11/07 09:31 AM

No he is running a catch can between the line from the PCV to the Intake manifold. So less crap will make it's way into the intake manifold under vacuum.

CP
01/11/07 09:34 AM

Exactly, though I'm also considering the T and one-way inline valve approach mentioned above.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
01/11/07 09:43 AM

Ahh, gotcha.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/11/07 11:53 AM

Yeah...I should have pointed out that I no longer own a PCV Valve. Instead I own a little piece of aluminum to cover up that nasty hole left whtn the PCV was removed.

powerplay
(Yes Man)
01/11/07 01:28 PM

If you are going to have a PCV and a catch can, I would put the PCV on the manifold side of the catch can, unless you want to pressurize the catch can. Of course the manifold vacuum will want to suck all of the crap out of the can as it sucks air in from the VC. You could pressurize the catch can and blow all of the snot out of it, but then you would have a boost/snot leak.

Polish
01/11/07 01:31 PM

Good point Scott. Not sure how well some catch cans would hold up to 15+ psi.

powerplay
(Yes Man)
01/11/07 01:40 PM

Not to well, I wouldn't think. I run the two VC lines to vented catch can, no pcv, I have no problems. I think if the catch can is puking snot all over the engine bay, then there are other issues and I wouldn't want that stuff in my intake.

Polish
01/11/07 01:52 PM

Thats how I had mine for a while and it worked fine but I just didn't like the idea of all those oil vapors floating around in the crank case all the time. I noticed the oil was dirty really quickly. It also sprayed a fine mist of oil out of the breather filter out of the catch can at WOT. I could tell because after a WOT run there would be a very small film of oil behind the filter on the firewall. I just didn't like that. To each his own though.

I would rather it just go in the engine and get burned up. It can't affect performance much, if at all. Besides it will eventually have WI so that will keep everything shiny clean anyway.

CP
01/12/07 01:24 PM

Quote:

I run the two VC lines to vented catch can, no pcv, I have no problems. I think if the catch can is puking snot all over the engine bay, then there are other issues and I wouldn't want that stuff in my intake.

That's how I've currently got it set up and the filter on top of my catchcan spews oil mist all over that portion of the engine bay.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
01/12/07 03:12 PM

Ditch the PCV valve and put a 1/8" NPT x 3/8" hose barb fitting into the hole. Then you can run that along with a hose off of the stock breather line into a catch can or dump it onto the ground under the car. When I had a catch can it was a PITA to empty it all the time so i ran two of the fittings I mentioned above off of both the VC holes and ran a pair of 3/8" fuel hoses down between the front subframe and firewall. So little comes out of there that you won't be oiling the track down or anything. Lots of cars used to use that system and it was called a "road draft vent". That'll keep your intake nice and shiny inside.

John

powerplay
(Yes Man)
01/12/07 06:26 PM

I have the 3/8" fuel line running down from the bottom drain on the catch can. I never have to empty it, because I do what John said. When I am going for a drive on the highway, I open the drain and let the air running under the car suck the crap out of the can. There is so little coming out that it is much less oil than a normal car with an oil leak. I have never seen any indication of oil on the top of the catch can. I explained that to CY over as year ago to ditch the PCV valve and set it up that way. I have left it open for months at a time, because I forget to close it, and I never see anything on the garage floor under the hose. That said I have toyed with the idea of putting a little vacuum pump on there to suck the vapors out, but the ones the V8 guys use are way to expensive for something that is OK the way it is. To each his own. I have other things to worry about driving one of these cars.

CP
01/13/07 03:41 PM

I'm going to try this for a little while and see if I get any oil in the intake pipe. I put a brass barb in a soft part of my intake pipe, and attached that to an inline filter that feeds from the valve cover vent elbow. So essentially it's setup like stock with a filter:

I ran a straight fitting from the PCV valve hole in the valve cover. This goes to a sealed catchcan. I blocked the opposite hole of the catchcan. Then I ran a hose from the top of the catchcan to a fitting on the intake manfold. There's an inline plastic PCV valve in that hose:

I didn't test for any intake leaks, so I'll be interested to see if that inline PCV valve can hold boost. Any comments? This is by no means permanent, and can be modified pretty easily.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
01/13/07 04:01 PM

At this point you're completely not emissions compliant anyway so I don't get why you don't just vent them both as I recommended. It'd keep the gunk out of your intake tract and your intake manifold, plus it will eliminate any unmetered air from getting into the intake system.

John

CP
01/13/07 04:07 PM

I was under the impression that venting the PCV valve (with no vac pulling it open to evacuate) doesn't help draw the crap out of the valve cover. I also thought the air coming out of the valve cover breather tube was metered air that should be routed back into the system.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
01/13/07 04:15 PM

If you replace the PCV valve with a fitting, and vent everything on the VC to atmosphere then you don't have to worry about any metered or unmetered air being involved with the breather system. If you put the hoses off of the VC down near the bottom of the car, the air passing under the car will pull the fumes out of the crank case. Besides, you change your oil often so sludge won't be a problem.

John

CP
01/13/07 04:51 PM

Well shit, all that work for nothing. I'm leaving it as is for now.

I had both vented to atmosphere before, through a filter on top of the catchcan (no PCV valve) and it made a mess out the top of the filter. I also got some nice sludgy oil/coolant sperm-looking mix in my catchcan with it setup like that. I don't want that juice blowing all over the bottom of my car. The catchcan should catch anything coming via that route, and I'm hoping the inline filter will catch anything coming out of the valve cover breather before that air goes back into the intake pipe. Everything is dry right now, and I plan to monitor frequently for oil residue. If my intake is getting greased, I'll change things.

CP
04/25/07 11:36 AM

Update: My valve cover breather hose spits the funk out just ahead of the steering rack down onto the road. The other hose (with PCV valve removed) goes into a catchcan with a filter on top. This setup has resulted in the least amount of spewage from the catchcan filter, and frees up a port on the intake manifold to use for something else.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page