atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/10/05 10:00 AM
1990 Oil Filter Housing Question?

I need to take my leaky, crappy stock set up off and I have a question that was unanswered by the "How-To" on this. Here is a quote from the "How-To":

Quote:

The required fittings for the oil filter adapter are as follows, 2 each of -8AN flare to 16mm x 1.5 metric adapters (i'm almost positive its 16 not 18, someone chime in here).

Is anyone SURE on what size they are and maybe even have the part number for them? I want to use the stock 1990 cooler since I already have one and I'm guessing I can just get four of those adapters and run them on both ends. Can someone who's done this (even with an aftermarket cooler) give me some info?

Thanks.

John

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/10/05 01:25 PM
Re: 1990 Oil Filter Housing Question?

Here are the fittings from Mach V for the oil cooler end. I think this is what you mean...
http://www.machv.com/exoilcoolfil.html

Anybody know how possible it is to adapt some hose to a banjo fitting? If so, you could just use the factory bolts and just adapt them to your own lines. This may cause leaking though, if it's even possible.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/10/05 02:27 PM

You can adapt the stock banjo fittings if you have a hydraulic hose place near you. I may just go that route since I know of 2 people locally that have the hoses sitting around that I can pirate the hose ends from. If anyone has any ideas on the sizes please let me know. I've found these from Earl's but they don't have an O-ring or washer to seal it so seepage may be a problem:

9919EFKERL #8AN to 18MM x 1.5
9919EFJERL #8AN to 16MM x 1.5
9919DFJERL #6AN to 16MM x 1.5

If it's 16mm I'll go with #6 since I think #8 will do nothing except cost more money. There is a local "circle track" warehouse that has three aisles of Earl's so I'll try to get there and test fit to my cooler/housing. I'll post the results later this week.

John

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/11/05 08:38 AM

They are 16MM x 1.5. I was only able to find them through Russel (Summit part# RUS-670530) and Earls. I used #6AN on mine with a Setrab oil cooler and it works great. I would have used #8AN but I had a plethora of #6AN fittings laying around.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/11/05 08:47 AM

Also, the metric adapters that I have do not have an o-ring or washer on the oil filter housing and I have not experienced any sort of oil leak what-so-ever. Hope this helps.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/11/05 10:05 AM

AWESOME! That was exactly the info I needed. I'll be getting that stuff this week .

John

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/11/05 02:09 PM

John,
You should get pics and put a list of stuff you needed to put it all on for us!

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
09/12/05 10:34 AM

Use one of the stock rubber insert washers between the adapter fitting and the housing. that is what I will be using. The stock banjo fittings use two, one on each side.
I used the 9919EFJ which is the -8. Two for the housing, two for the stock cooler.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/12/05 06:28 PM

Quote:

John,
You should get pics and put a list of stuff you needed to put it all on for us!

pics/more info

You will need

~10 ft of AN 8 hose depending on location (10ft will mount behind rad fan) anywhere
4 AN 8 fittings anywhere
1 Oil Cooler - i got it here, but anywhere will do baker precision
1 oil filter housing - ebay or stealer or parts for sale here
2 metric > an adapters + WASHERS!!!!! MachV

Pick your location before ordering the stuff, at $20 a pop you want to make sure you order the right fittings (straight, 90 or 45 degree)

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/12/05 06:56 PM

Thanks Logick but I'm gonna do it the way Iceman has his set up since I already have a stock cooler. I was thinking the same thing as you with the washers Ice and I'll be using #6 AN hose. I think that will be more than adequate, especially compared to the fact that I was going to just get a NT housing and eliminate it all together. I'll post a list of EXACT part numbers, prices, and pics of what I do.

John

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
09/13/05 03:47 PM

Not that different in concept from Mark, we're just using the stock cooler, so more adapters are needed. I hope those washers work, since I have all the parts, but haven't installed it yet! I will be using -8 size, but I am going to try some of the pushlock fittings and hose instead, keeping the braided on my race car.

Have to mod my oil filter bracket for the pressure relief flow as in the other thread since I am pulling the balance shafts out right now during the rebuild.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/13/05 06:53 PM

Quote:

Have to mod my oil filter bracket for the pressure relief flow as in the other thread since I am pulling the balance shafts out right now during the rebuild.

HAHAHA!! Me too, that thread got me thinking of my stupid high oil pressure so I figured I'd fix that and my ticking time bomb of an oil filter housing at the same time. Here are the part numbers I just bought to do the job with a stock 1990 housing and a stock 1990 cooler:

4 - 9919DFJERL #6AN to 16MM x 1.5
4 - 809106ERL #6AN 90* fitting
1 - 306006ERL or 406006ERL #6AN Hose Stainless 6 feet

The total came to about $125 for all of it which means that if you don't already have a 1990 cooler it would be smarter to just buy THIS . I'll keep you all updated on how it goes, it should be in within the next few days since I need to fix this oil leak ASAP.

John

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/18/05 04:05 PM

Did you throw this setup on yet, John? If so, can you get any pics of the lines to housing and lines to cooler fittings with it all put together?

paul j
(Member)
03/21/06 03:18 PM

Any update on this?

bazeng
(work in progress)
03/21/06 03:30 PM

dont forget to port the valve relief port!

i was getting 100+psi cold start and WOT before the porting
now i get 60 - 70psi cold start!

works like a chime!..

SleepinGVR4
(What are we going to do today Ferb?)
03/22/06 12:54 AM

How do u port the relief valve?

bazeng
(work in progress)
03/22/06 03:04 AM

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
03/22/06 06:48 AM

I'll try to get some pics of the housing side. If you want to see the cooler end search for FMIC with my username, there are bound to be some of the oil cooler when I took pics of my new FMIC last month.

John

CP
(Still lingering, kinda like a chili and beer fart)
03/22/06 07:12 AM

Dumb question, but what is done with the old coolant lines/connections for the stock filter housing? Do they get looped up near the thermostat with a hose or something?

I flipped through my Summit and RPW catelogs last night and started coming up with a list of parts. What's a good size cooler (ie how many rows, dimensions)?

Polish
(Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger)
03/22/06 07:13 AM

Yes the coolant lines get looped.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
03/22/06 07:20 AM

I removed my outlet from the thermostat housing, tapped and plugged it. I am using a 1990 style water pipe to eliminate the other. But this is on a total rebuild with everything apart and out of the car, so it is much easier.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
03/22/06 08:09 AM

I replaced the t-stat housing with one from a NT car (DSM or galant it doesn't matter as long as its a 4G63 DOHC). I wouldn't just loop them or cap them since I know that the failure of one of those caused a member here to wreck his car when it blew open and puked antifreeze all over his tires at the track. Either to it the way iceman did it or replace the whole housing like I did.

John

CP
03/22/06 08:40 AM

So a housing from a crappy regular Galant will work, using our t-stat internals (that gold colored thing with the spring)? I may have to go pluck one from the junker I've been pirating as of late if this is the case.

I'll also need the 1990 big coolant pipe that runs in front of the engine, behind the turbo? I assume that the little coolant line right there that runs from the t-stat to the filter housing is removed? Just making sure before I start looking for parts...

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
03/22/06 03:39 PM

Sounds right. The thing with the spring is the thermostat.

You can take you pipe and have that little outlet welded up if you can get it off easily.

CP
03/23/06 07:51 AM

Might as well just replace the pipe to do it right I suppose. I'm going to try to do the timing belt, all the other belts, water pump, oil filter housing w/ external cooler, water pipe, t-stat housing and turbo all at the same time some weekend.

I'm heading back to the poor Galant I've been stripping in the junkyard today at lunch to check out the t-stat housing and pull it if it's still there. I'll post a picture tonight for clarification purposes.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
03/23/06 07:58 AM

You can't use the NT waterpipe unless you are not running coolant through your turbo anymore. There is no provision on it to feed the turbo coolant via that horseshoe shapped pipe that goes from the crossover pipe to the front of the turbo. You don't actually need to run the coolant to the turbo but that is a choice you'll have to make.

John

CP
03/23/06 09:02 AM

How about the 1990 turbo water pipe?

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
03/23/06 06:25 PM

yes, that is what you want. it has no outlet for the oil cooler, but does have a port for the turbo.

CP
03/23/06 08:25 PM

I looked at a junked Galant LS (auto) t-stat housing today with the intention of pulling it, but it looked totally different. Instead I came back with a pocketfull of nuts and bolts, fasteners, two trunk fender liners and the charcoal canister bracket for my catchcan.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
03/23/06 08:31 PM

Was it a DOHC motor?

John

CP
05/16/06 08:39 AM

Back to this thread.

All oil cooler parts have been ordered. I went with a 13-row Mocal oil cooler and -8AN lines and fittings. I'm going to mod the filter housing soon, as we'll be pulling the balance shafts at the same time. How much should I open that port up in order to drop my oil pressure a bit? Finger sized?

One last question. I plan to loop the coolant hoses at the thermostat housing. Which water pipe do I need (final answer!)? The engine will be OUT of the car for all this during Memorial Day weekend, and timing belt, water pump...

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
05/16/06 08:46 AM

If you are using a watercooled turbo then you need a 1990 pipe. Otherwise a NT pipe would be best. I opened the port up on mine to about 1/2" if I remember correctly, once you pull the piston out you'll see how big it is and how big you can go with it. Remember to de-burr the inside of the hole so the piston doesn't get stuck open .

John

Polish
05/16/06 08:49 AM

Reading on "another" site yesterday and you really can't make the hole to big, within reason. Some used a 9/32" drillbit, others used 11/32" drill bit, and some use a Dremel like me. Here is the link with pics that has been whored around everywhere.

As for the water pipe, it makes sense to me to use a 90 water pipe. Since those were the only ones that didn't use the water/oil cooler. I personally didn't have my motor out (and didnt care to pull the water pipe) so I just looped the lines under the car with a short section of hose.

jepherz
(Too Clean)
05/16/06 10:02 AM

You'll need a '90 TURBO water pipe if you plan on using the drain/supply from the pipe and thermo housing. You then won't be able to "loop" the lines and you'll just have to cap off the port on the thermostat housing.

CP
05/16/06 10:14 AM

Alright, thanks fellas. 1990 water pipe since I always plan to use a water cooled turbo. And I'm going to attack that filter housing with my die grinder and carbide bit tonight

I remember Powerplay having very high oil pressure when he added all these parts to his car last year. I wonder if he ever fixed it to bring it down...

powerplay
(Yes Man)
05/16/06 10:27 AM

Of course! I even posted a picture of the port after it was done. My oil pressure is a constant 60-70 lbs now.
BTW, when I did the '90 filter housing, I had Alex just weld up the port for the coolant line. Easy, no problems and I didn't have to find a replacement.

Scott

CP
05/16/06 10:41 AM

Depending on how much the 1990 pipe costs, I may just JB Weld it while we're installing all this stuff. I'm trying to find your thread right now with the picture...

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/17/06 02:35 PM

so is it a necessity to run coolant through the mitsu turbs?

I saw this and thought it was interesting:

oil cooled mitsu cartridge from FP

jepherz
(Too Clean)
05/17/06 02:38 PM

Sleepy, I just ran across a post on here yesterday where several people had said they weren't running water through their water cooled turbos. Let me see if I can remember what thread it was in....

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
05/17/06 02:40 PM

IMHO no, as long as you turbo time it. When I put the Evo8 turbo on the Mighty Max I'm not going to bother with the liquid cooling.

John

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/17/06 03:14 PM

I just spoke with Mike, one of the turbo techs at forced performance. He told me Mitsu put the water lines to the turb as added insurance against people who don't time their turbs. He said the b16g they sell with the dry cartridge was identical oil passages to the other td05 turbs. The water serves no "real" purpose, but make sure you have adequate clean oil, and practice proper shut down intervals.

Yes, my son, you are reading about my next elimination. This will make turb swaps and other jobs much simpler from here on out.

Anyone selling an NT water line? PM me please.

joec
(or maybe lick the biss)
05/17/06 05:13 PM

I'd suspect that you want to make sure you upgrade the stock oil cooler if you do that. The oil is going to be responsible for handling a lot of extra heat that was dissipated through the radiator when the turbo was water cooled.

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/17/06 06:31 PM

Ain't gonna happen Capain...

CP
05/17/06 06:45 PM

Quote:

I'd suspect that you want to make sure you upgrade the stock oil cooler if you do that. The oil is going to be responsible for handling a lot of extra heat that was dissipated through the radiator when the turbo was water cooled.

External oil cooler going on in the next few weeks. I'm keeping the water lines until it's proven by someone here running the car REALLY HOT that the turbo won't get cooked without them.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/17/06 08:12 PM

Quote:

Think about it though, 90 dsm guys dont have those issues.

joec
(or maybe lick the biss)
05/17/06 08:47 PM

Their turbos *ARE* water cooled -- and they have an external oil cooler (not sure if that's more efficient than the coolant one on the later models).

Polish
05/17/06 09:17 PM

My freind auto crosses his 18g with no water lines, never has any problems. He ran his 14b like that for a year as well. Never had an issue, he installed a turbo timer at the same time though. fwiw

jepherz
(Too Clean)
05/17/06 10:49 PM

Keep in mind that all of the reports of usage without water lines is for very short periods of time. Who knows if the turbos will still last as long. After all, the water lines are there for a reason.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/18/06 08:35 AM

Quote:

Their turbos *ARE* water cooled -- and they have an external oil cooler (not sure if that's more efficient than the coolant one on the later models).

Any external cooler has to be better than the tiny sandwich fitting.

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/18/06 11:17 AM

all of this is relevant. Cy is installing an oil cooler because it's a good idea for his application (ie road racing). I daily drive my pos, and almost never get into boost (well, boost under load. W/ the gm maf in blow through and my free flowing setup it's ALWAYS around 0-5psi). I make a few passes at the track once or twice a month with a 14b. It's a cheap replacement. I have 3 lying around in good shape. Think about the guys with a large ass turbo, no water lines, more heat, no air/air cooler.

I know a guy who eliminated the oil cooler on a 90 and didn't switch to a water cooled oil filter housing and the car still runs great. No turb problems. Now that's real.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/18/06 12:11 PM

^Why would he just eliminate the cooler though by blocking off the lines? Why not let it cool? Am I missing something?

CP
05/18/06 04:16 PM

Done porting that hole. What a pain...

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/19/06 07:49 AM

sweet. now eliminate it.

CP
05/19/06 09:12 AM

All my parts have arrived. It's a Mocal 13 row cooler, with a Mocal 180* thermostat. I drive this car in the winter, and I don't want the oil to take forever to come up to operating temp if it was circulating through the cooler while warming up. The thermostat opens up at 180* to let oil circulate through the cooler.

I think I'm going to get two more 90* bends to use for the cooler connections. The plan is to mount this thing on the passenger side in front of the radiator, above the intercooler and behind the grill. Does it matter if the cooler is mounted above or below the filter housing (thinking about gravity and oil flow)?

I got everything from Summit for somewhere around $200+. However I got the metric>AN filter housing connections and washers from Machv.

CP
05/19/06 04:08 PM

Quote:

sweet. now eliminate it.

And no, I don't get this post All you need to do is shatup and help me install this thing next weekend

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/20/06 05:04 AM

eliminate your oil filter housing, then you won't have these issues.

Seriously though, don't worry about location for the cooler. Gravity means nothing when you have +100psi pressure.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/20/06 12:05 PM

That setup looks sweet CP. I'm looking to scrap my stock 90 unti pretty soon too.

CP
05/20/06 12:16 PM

I don't like the condition of the 1990 oil coolers that circulate throughout our community, so I went with this NEW one. The thermostat sounded like a good idea, and will aid with quick engine warm-up during the winter. Does it matter where the thermostat is located (closer to the filter housing or closer to the cooler)?

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
05/20/06 01:21 PM

Quote:

eliminate your oil filter housing, then you won't have these issues.

Seriously though, don't worry about location for the cooler. Gravity means nothing when you have +100psi pressure.

you don't have to worry about position, rather. Location is pretty important, I mean, you do want air to cross the thing.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/20/06 04:59 PM

Cy,
Your setup is v. similar to what I did, but w/o the thermostat. I went with a Setrab similar to the Mocal, about same size or maybe a couple rows wider. It is mounted vertically exactly where you planned. I made a couple aluminum L brackets from some aluminum angle and bolted the cooler in place top and bottom, ran lines along the bottom of the radiator. Cooler is higher than the filter but it may not all drain when changing because the lines angle down a bit to/from the filter housing. I don'w worry about it because I change the oil more often than necessary, so whatever dirty oil remains gets diluted with a lot of fresh oil. Above or below should not matter in operation if that was what you were concerned about. Static head would be around 0.37 psig/ft elevation difference, i.e. negligible resistance to flow under pump pressure.
Mike R.

CP
05/20/06 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info Mike. I actually WAS thinking about how to drain it during an oil change. In the location I have proposed, it will sit above the filter housing, so it should drain...if the thermostat is open. In reality, I probably won't be playing with oil over 180*, so this point is moot.

If yours doesn't drain, then you are not adding any extra oil (from stock) other than during that first fill after you installed it. Any idea how much more oil your system is utilizing with the addition of the cooler; somewhere around 5.5 quarts? More oil = more cooling faster

When you say "mounted vertically," are you saying that it's standing up on it's end where it's mounted? If I mounted it like this, I don't think I'll need to get another two 90* fittings, thus saving $40. But I'm not sure what the recommended mounting position is. I would guess that if the inlet was on top, and outlet below, this would aid in the flow of oil through the cooler. Like Colin said, at 75psi who really cares?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/21/06 05:15 PM

Yes, it is vertically oriented (taller than it is wide, flowing top to bottom). Sorry no pics to post.
Mike R.

CP
06/03/06 09:32 PM

Well, I figured out why my fittings were leaking. I have the ones that MachV sells, 16x1.5 to -08AN. Turns out both ports on my filter housing were re-tapped to 3/8 NTP threads. So my fittings are too small. I'll throw the correct fittins in when they arrive this week. Until them, JB Quick is keeping the oil and fittings where they belong.

I also located the cooler vertically, on the passenger side just in front of the radiator. Sleepyvr4 made some nice brackets for it. It gets nice and hot, but is cooling the oil with 80* air rather than 210* coolant.

CP
06/12/06 03:30 PM

Did anyone one find that some filters don't work with this housing? I think the Mobil 1 filters' gasket is too small for the external cooler housing. Mine has been leaking slightly since I installed it a few weeks ago. I just picked up a NAPA Gold filter, and the gasket has a much larger diameter than the Mobil filters. Hopefully this will put a final end to my leaks.

Bimmubishi
(giant log)
06/12/06 04:48 PM

Lookin good Cy. You should weld the pipe, not JB weld just in case.

I think that I'm going to do the old NT waterpipe on my car when I take the motor out. The turbo contributes to high water temps in road racing when you run water through it.

CP
06/12/06 06:24 PM

Here's what I'm talking about...

Good suggestion Alex. I'm not sure how long these rubber plugs will last. That may be on the list for my next visit ;^) I'm not sure if I'll need to have you tech the car again for COM on the 4th of July.

HertzGalant VR4.org Administrator
(OneTitle to rule them all.)
06/13/06 06:54 AM

Could someone post some installation pics? I've got mine with the stock lines and my AC fan had to go because of it. I would like (very much) to figure out an installation with AC intact. I'm also most curious about the line routing.

And one more dumb question: How necessary is the NT water pipe, really? I'm running it just with the lines blocked off (only leaked once) ...

Polish
06/13/06 06:57 AM

I am doing mine tonight, I will try to remember to take some pics.

I just looped the coolant lines, but haven't started it yet.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
06/13/06 07:30 AM

Quote:

How necessary is the NT water pipe, really? I'm running it just with the lines blocked off (only leaked once) ...

Ask Doug Thomas how necessary it is. A fitting on either the waterpipe or the t-stat housing that a certain shop plugged with a piece of hose and a bolt pretty much cost him his car. Give yourself the piece of mind and get either a NT one or a 1990 one that you can easily put a proper brass plug into the turbo coolant feed line.

John

CP
06/13/06 07:53 AM

I've got some rubber plugs and hose clamps that are standing in for the time being. I don't think you want to plug the coolant lines to the turbo (unless you aren't running a turbo that needs coolant for temp moderation), but rather the ones to the stock oil filter housing. There's one on the t-stat housing, and another on the big water pipe over by the PS pump.

powerplay
(Yes Man)
06/13/06 07:55 AM

Ryan, this is the only picture I have showing where DSG mounted my oil cooler.

JB
(Other)
06/13/06 08:16 AM

I heart your car Scott.

CP
06/13/06 08:53 AM

Mine is generally in the same spot, but sits up a bit more behind the passenger side of the grill. I tried to replicate Scott's cooler placement.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
06/13/06 09:11 AM

The one on the t-stat housing is easily plugged if you pull the nipple out with a pair of pliers, tap it just a few turns with a 1/8" NPT tap and put a 1/8" NPT plug in the hole. I'd recommend some JB Weld on the plug to ensure there are no leaks. You can remove the water pipes to the turbo if you want, its a topic that'd be open for debate but if you turbo time the car and have an oil cooler I don't think it'd be a problem.

John

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
06/13/06 10:57 AM

I did that removal and plugging of the nipple coming from the thermo housing as well John, but IIRC, it is bigger than 1/8" NPT. Should be easy to determine size if someone does it though. Process is same as outlined regardless of size.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
06/13/06 11:23 AM

Yeah it's a hair bigger that's why I'd only run the tap in a couple of turns and then let the plug do the rest of the thread cutting. Perhaps a standard or metric bolt tap could be used and then just put a bolt in the hole?

John

Polish
06/13/06 08:06 PM

Quote:

Could someone post some installation pics?

Well I took a few pics but all sucked except for this one. I only ended up getting it roughly mounted tonight, it has to come off so I can POR15 all the edges of the metal I cut away. Not sure if any of the AC components would be in the way to mount it here but you would need to have ABS eliminated for sure. I will be doing the lines tomorrow hopefully. They are going to be very short and will tuck behind the inner wheel well just barely. I will take some pics of them. Some may ask why I didn't mount it up front, well in short I didn't want to. There was an empty void where it's now mounted, the lines will be short, I can easily duct a nice air feed from the vacant fog light hole, and it's just where I wanted it.

Polish
06/15/06 07:18 PM

Here some more pics. Lines done. Also a Pic comparing a stock 90 oil cooler to the B&M Unit.

I por15'ed the bare metal where I cut and cleaned up the cuts you see with die grinder. It gets mounted permanently tomorrow when the paints dry. Though it will look more or less the same.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
06/15/06 08:02 PM

I got this today new from mitsu. It was $65 for the housing and two 16mm to 1.5, -8 fittings. Still waiting for the 13 row mocal cooler tomorrow.

Romanova
( the coolest person to ever post in the past 2 hours)
06/15/06 11:04 PM

Hksvr4: Who did you get the housing from?

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
06/16/06 05:55 AM

JNZtuning.com

CP
06/16/06 12:58 PM

Damn Corey, that thing is twice as big as mine is (the oil cooler ).

Polish
06/16/06 01:04 PM

Yeah, it's fairly large. Which is why I am not Uber concerned about it being directly in the path of air. Although I am still gonna run a tube from the fog light hole right to the front of it.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
06/17/06 12:30 PM

CP
06/17/06 02:44 PM

That'd be the same one I've got. Made it through 2 days of lapping last week and the car still runs.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
06/17/06 05:58 PM

CP: where did you mount it? I was thinking of the front grill.

Romanova
( the coolest person to ever post in the past 2 hours)
06/17/06 10:57 PM

Part number for 1990 oil filter housing? Guess I should start stockpiling all these parts...

CP
06/18/06 11:41 AM

Quote:

CP: where did you mount it? I was thinking of the front grill.

Not the greatest picture, but you can see one end of it on the passenger side partially behind the intercooler.

CP
09/12/06 05:34 PM

What was used to port the relief valve in the housing? My Dremel bits keep getting gunked up with metal and don't cut very well. I don't want to use the carbide burr on my die grinder because the bit hops around and will scar the mating surfaces like on my other one; the head is too big to start making the hole bigger. What can I use that will fit the Dremel but won't get smooth (caked) with metal after some use?

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
09/13/06 07:37 AM

Try spraying the bit with WD40. It is supposed to help keep the bit clean.

CP
09/13/06 11:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

However I'm currently trying to use those Dremel attachments that appear to be made of some kind of stone. They feel like sandpaper and are cylindrical in shape with a pointed end. Should I be using something else? I can't control the carbide bit as well because it's too big to start the hole and hops around by itself. I'd rather not fuxor up my two carbide bits b/c they're very expensive, or another filter housing.

Polish
09/13/06 12:34 PM

I put my housing in a vise and used my air powered grinder with a Carbide bit. I had the same problem with it jumping around but I made it work. My bit didn't get clogged up at all. Having the pressure real high in the tank helped also. It made it less likely to bind up and jump around. For the few tiny scratches I made on the sealing sureface I put RTV on. It's not leaked a drop.

CP
09/13/06 12:51 PM

My setup looks like an operating table right now. Everything is taped up so that only the hole and surrounding material is exposed. I'm not taking the risk of another mystery leak. Hell, this may not even be the problem, but I've looking into everything else and think of anything else it could be.

My die grinder is electric, so I can't mess with the speed or kickback nature of it. I'll see what I can find at Home Depot Racing and Lowes for the Dremel. Maybe a big drill bit would work, but then I'd be worried about messing up the opposite side of the valve sleeve.

JB
(Other)
09/13/06 01:17 PM

Ever thought of just taking it to someone who knows what they are doing?

CP
09/13/06 02:11 PM

No. But thanks for the suggestion I get to buy more gadgets by doing all the work myself. And I'd have no idea where to start looking in my neck of the woods for a "porting person" with the appropriate tools to do the job. This will only take 5 minutes once I get the correct attachments. I'm off to Lowes up here in Woburn now...

jepherz
(Too Clean)
09/13/06 02:28 PM

Chris (boostinhard) is always just a few days away :-)

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/13/06 06:30 PM

I ordered a carbide bit from Summit Racing. It may not be as good as the high dollar Snap On ones but it gets the job done for me. You really should invest in a compressor (even a small one) and a die grinder for this sort of work. BTW the WD40 trick is the best but works more for porting aluminum than steel/iron.

John

lunchbox
(:ugh: face)
09/13/06 06:45 PM

I just get carbides from swap meets. I have used a bunch of them now and for $4 each you can not beat them. I have some of the first ones I got and they are still going strong with a few years of use, lots of porting, and some grinding of stainless steel.

You can also try putting wax on the bits that you are running in aluminum. Purpose built bits for porting aluminum have much larger flutes and do not plug.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/13/06 06:50 PM

Yeah but even those plug to some extent. When I opened the center holes on my TL wheels to fit them on the GVR4 I bought one of the aluminum specific bits and it clogged slightly but if I would dip it into a cup of rust penetrant when I felt it getting a little "dull", it would wake right up again.

John

CP
09/14/06 06:18 AM

Finished. I used copious amounts of WD40 throughout the process. Pretty easy once you get the correct bit. This one for my Dremel was nice and small, so it fit into the factory hole and slowly enlarged it from there.

CP
09/19/06 01:28 PM

Final update:

Well, I'm going on 3 entire days now with NO OIL LEAKS! All it took was another filter housing This is the first time in many months that the car is not dripping any fluids on my garage floor. And I've only used up half of the 40lb bag of kitty litter

I'm going to hose the entire undercarriage down (while up on jackstands) with 2-3 cans of degreaser tonight in a local self service wash bay.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
09/19/06 01:39 PM

Get some "Spray Nine" and coat the bottom of the car, its better than the petroleum based degreaser IMHO.

John

JB
(Other)
09/20/06 07:43 AM

Your gonna throw your car up on jackstands at the self service car wash? (powerwasher)

Never seen that done yet...

Polish
09/20/06 07:47 AM

Thats not bad idea for those who don't own a power washer.

Cy, take a picture of the other customers as they drive by with the WTF looks on their faces.

CP
09/20/06 06:34 PM

All kleen now:

Here's what I've been doing alot all summer due to the leak:

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
09/20/06 07:07 PM

Ha Ha, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought of this. You should see the look on the carwash guy's face But hey, the sign says nothing about jacking your car up in the bay

CP
01/19/07 10:52 PM

On the filter housing, which side is IN, and which is OUT (looking in from the LF wheelwell)? I want to position the lines so that the IN is at the bottom of the filter, and the top is OUT. That way it'll self-purge any air inside the oil cooler when it begins to flow (and due to the upwards flow, the oil will stay in the cooler longer, thus allowing it to cool down longer).

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/22/07 12:35 AM

nice job with the carwash man

i did a vr-4 rear caliper/rotor job in a carwash bay once cause it was raining and i needed a place to do it

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
04/14/08 07:38 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Finished. I used copious amounts of WD40 throughout the process. Pretty easy once you get the correct bit. This one for my Dremel was nice and small, so it fit into the factory hole and slowly enlarged it from there.

click

CP, or any others that have done this, I see that you wrapped half of the housing with tape to keep metal bits out of the other areas but what kind of solvent did you end up cleaning it with after you were done porting it? Just wd40?

Can I remove that bolt that is at the bottom in this photo? I want to make sure I get all the debris out before I bolt it on and run oil through the motor.

Also, thanks for posting pictures guys.

ktmrider
(Cool Guy Crowd)
04/14/08 09:27 PM

Yup, pull the bolt and the plunger and spring drop right out. Best way to douche everything out.

natoe
(Junior Member)
04/21/08 01:04 AM

CP, (or others) where exactly was the leaking oil coming from before you replaced the housing? i have a 90 housing and cooler and have eliminated the balance shafts and it is leaking a lot from down there.

im hoping i didnt blow out my new front case seal or something else because of the extra high pressure... im going to pull the housing soon and dremel the relief hole out.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page