E39Alfa
(Newbie)
11/16/19 05:34 PM
Engine Vibration AFTER timing belt / water pump service - HELP!?!

Hello again VR4 community,

Need help figuring out whatís causing my VR4 to start to vibrate at around 4-5k RPM range?

This issue arise after timing belt / water pump service done at a local shop. Car drives fine under 4k rpm BUT starts to vibrate after that. I returned the car back to the shop and explained to him the issue. He took another 2 days with the car and still canít figure out the source of the issue. He initially thought it might be the motor mounts, not the case.

Any advice or recommendations will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
11/16/19 06:46 PM
Re: Engine Vibration AFTER timing belt / water pump service - HELP!?!

He probably did the balance shaft belt wrong. I've never had it happen, but the balance shafts can rotate with the belt off and be out of phase. I can't remember if the rear or the front likes to rotate with a belt off, but that is likely it.

I'm no longer using the balance shafts, so it's way easier to only line up the timing belt marks.

gvr4ever
(Forever Member)
11/16/19 06:48 PM

Step 21. click

E39Alfa
(Newbie)
11/16/19 09:44 PM

Awesome! Thanks man.

I will print off this for the shop so they can fix the issue.

tektic
(Senior Member)
11/17/19 12:50 PM

They didn't know to set the balance shafts in the first place? If they don't take responsibility for this, I would certainly look for someone more qualified to do repairs in the future. Even then I'd probably still think twice about continued business with this mechanic.

tektic
(Senior Member)
11/17/19 02:39 PM

This is how everybody heads blew up back in the mid 90s after their first timing belt jobs, not reading the manual, no one adjusted the timing tension pulley. I just wonder what yours is set at right now.

slugsgomoo
(god hates stupid people)
12/09/19 01:53 PM

the funny thing is, when you have this vibration, it's almost always the rear shaft (oil pump) not the front shaft that's out of phase, since that mark is so obvious.

Since the oil pump can be 360* out of phase, it can look lined up and still be totally wrong. Take the plug off and check it with a screwdriver per the vfaq. You can probably get the car on a stand, and check that with ~15 minutes of work.

E39Alfa
(Newbie)
12/14/19 06:43 PM

Shop made the necessary adjustments and vibration is now gone.

Only issue now is the car idle low at times after engine is warm...

CAS probably??

tektic
(Senior Member)
12/15/19 08:58 AM

With the car warmed up and the timing ground set you could try adjusting the idle set screw in the throttle body. Look at the manual for further details.

andrew4g63
(GVR4 have DSM stickers all over them, they are DSMs)
12/16/19 09:42 AM

Quoting E39Alfa:

Shop made the necessary adjustments and vibration is now gone.

Only issue now is the car idle low at times after engine is warm...

CAS probably??

Low idle at times? or all the time?
Cam timing be off can cause low idle.
Did it have low idle before the timing belt job?

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page