Lesac
(Junior Member)
01/31/19 07:43 PM
Does this timing look correct?

I tried to get the best pictures I could. But does this look correct or is it off just slightly. The car runs a hair lumpy at idle but I feel like itís more of a vacuum leak than anything else. Iíve gone through the fuel system and that is fine. The ignition is also working well. So itís either just off timing or sucking in air somewhere. Or the tune is crap.

transparentdsm
(I have to say something dumb Member)
01/31/19 07:50 PM
Re: Does this timing look correct?

You need to pull the cover and check the actual timing gear mark, also if the car has balanace shafts the belt could be loose or that could be off a tooth.

Edit - gears look on point, harmonic balancer looks a bit off, but that could be from the angle the picture was taken.

Lesac
(Junior Member)
01/31/19 08:23 PM

Irritating thing is that I had the timing cover off before this and wasnít smart enough to check it before I reassembled the whole thing.

belize1334
(well bread and nobly conceived)
02/01/19 05:47 AM

Your cam gears are lined up so the question is whether the crank is sitting at TDC. If you draw a line from the center of the harmonic balancer (in the middle of where your wrench head is) to the '0' tick on the timing cover, it looks like it passes right through the notch on the edge of the balancer wheel. To me that indicates that your timing is good. If it's vibrating a lot you could have your rear balance shaft out by 180*. If it's just idling poorly check your ignition timing and fuel/vacuum/etc.

Lesac
(Junior Member)
02/01/19 01:39 PM

Here is another quick question. Would the factory lower timing cover be black? All the oem replacements I see are silver. Mine is black and seems to be warped as it rubs bad on the ac tensioner.

transparentdsm
02/01/19 01:53 PM

Yeah, just the OEM VR4 one is black, but the silver works just finished new as long as it's for a 6 bolt engine.

Lesac
(Junior Member)
02/01/19 02:59 PM

Thanks for the help guys, going to just order a new cover and check the timing when itís off.

iceman69510
(Turn Right Racing)
02/01/19 03:45 PM

I have a brand new in box black cover I will sell you. I will price match whatever you can find one for.

BTW, the Eclipse/Talon/Laser engine versions used the silver covers.

Lesac
(Junior Member)
02/01/19 04:59 PM

Cheapest Iíve seen a silver cover for was $108. Color doesnít matter much to me. Iím going to have to rebuild my throttle body too so, Iím likely going to have to make a bigger parts order.

transparentdsm
02/01/19 05:15 PM

I use rtm out of Canada when I order my throttle body shaft seals.

Lesac
(Junior Member)
03/02/19 03:15 PM

Just wanted to verify this timing was correct, and I found my issue. Was not related to timing.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page