ercp98
(perpetual n00b)
05/25/07 10:31 AM
timing setting

so i followed the vfaq way of setting the timing in the gvr4. i have it set at 5 degrees. all is ok while i set it using the timing light. i grounded the line attached to the firewall.also i took oout the logger while i was setting the timing. now why is it that my logger is showing (TMA) 8-10 degrees while at idle?

spoulson
(0 people like this)
05/25/07 10:47 AM
Re: timing setting

The logger shows you timing + base timing. The ECU is assuming the base timing is at 5* at all times.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/25/07 01:03 PM

8-10 is correct at idle, without the terminal grounded. As soon as you connect the logger you are no longer in the "timing adjust" mode, so it should go back to using the maps.

Polish
(Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger)
05/25/07 01:25 PM

Which pin do you ground? I always forget which is the fuel pump and which is the timing since they are right next to each other.

CP
(Still lingering, kinda like a chili and beer fart)
05/25/07 01:28 PM

There's only one metal pin in the plug on the firewall, at least on my car. The other side is plastic.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/25/07 01:28 PM

the fuel pump is a single wire single type connector. the timing one is a connector that looks like a two pin but only has one. if it's still there it may have a dead head cap on it as well.

Polish
05/25/07 01:31 PM

Both of mine are single wires with connectors on the end. One is larger than the other though, I assume the larger is the timing one? I haven't messed with it since last year and I've forgotten.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/25/07 01:35 PM

yea the larger one, when you look into it you'll see it could also be used as a two pin.

Polish
05/25/07 01:38 PM

Gotcha, thanks much. I'm going to label that one so I don't forget again.

CP
(Still lingering, kinda like a chili and beer fart)
05/25/07 01:59 PM

I've never even seen the fuel pump one The one I use for timing is above the clutch fluid reservoir.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/25/07 02:06 PM

two pry bars, upper one points to fuel pump test connector lower one points to timing connector.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.004 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page