**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/27/05 09:30 PM
Custom IC piping, any one pulled it off?

I was looking into hard piping my car, but the kits are too expensive, even the universal kits. So I have been looking at local companies that sell aluminum piping, not auto companies, because they will charge an arm and a leg too. So, local fab shops for pipe, where do I look for cheap silicon hoses? Has anyone ever done this themselves? If so, where did you look for parts? Any help will... help...

DarkDevilMMM
(if I want a potential headache, I rather just get another GVR4)
10/27/05 11:55 PM
Re: Custom IC piping, any one pulled it off?

Al pipes: ebay
silicon hoses: ebay
t-bolt clamp: you've guess it, ebay

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/05 12:21 AM

www.sc-power.com thats where I got all my stuff, tell them austin sent you.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/05 01:50 AM

ebay, ebay, and ebay still think "performance car" and jack the price to fit. the idea with 'custom' is to grab parts at cost, from companies that have no interest in the whole performance car bit. its called, cheap.

dime2nr
(Member ++)
10/28/05 02:02 AM

i did my pipes for about a $110 of course i did all the welding but thats 2.5in stainless piping and an ebay fmic total under $300 everythimg came from ebay on the cheap

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/05 06:13 AM

I also got my pipes from JC whitney for cheap and did my set up for less than $500 with FMIC, couplers, tbolt clamps and pipes.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/05 07:11 AM

anyone have pics of the "custom" setup??

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/05 07:31 AM

I have all aluminum pipes that came from certified muffler.
You can see some pics off it in the link to my car in my signature.

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
10/28/05 07:45 AM

I went ebay for fmic and mild steel mandrel bends, forced performance for couplers, hunters truck sales for t-bolt clamps, dave brode for turbo outlet, hks tb elbow from overboost.com, and I needed 2 welds.

here's pics of my old setup:

clicky

14u2nV
(Resident Pedobear)
10/28/05 07:50 AM

You want cheaper parts, look for industrial or construction piping, silicon, etc. As soon as you put the word Intercooler or I/C, the price automatically jumps, cuz they know they can get it. Companies that use these parts for other situations will usually sell off the scrap just to make a buck, they aren't out to snag custom setup builders, just anyone interested in the "junk".

VR4coop
(Senior Member)
10/28/05 08:56 AM

Quote:

anyone have pics of the "custom" setup??

Here are pics of my previous setup.

New setup pics will be up soon enough!!!

Armitage
(VR4CED)
10/28/05 03:01 PM

I did my whole I/C piping (2" mandrel to and 2.5" from I/C) for about 20$ in parts ;P Granted it has a lot of couplers, but it's held together real nice for over a year now no problems. A lot of turbo saabs and volvos have really nice big aluminum pipes with silicone couplers and all sorts of funky reducers/angle couplers u can get for next to nothing if you've got some good junkyards around.

number3
(Senior Member)
10/28/05 03:46 PM

I have had a few different home made setups in my car.

See them here...

The First page under "more pictures here" link shows the really old setup we made with exhaust piping, a tig welder, jb weld and some spray paint.

dime2nr
(Member ++)
10/28/05 10:32 PM

here are som of mine

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/29/05 08:26 AM

dime2nr, I noticed no rolled edges on the pipe ends. Do you have any trouble with them blowing off?

dime2nr
(Member ++)
10/29/05 01:16 PM

not all of those pics were finished i ran a bead around the pipes about a half inch from the ends

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
10/29/05 01:25 PM

Apparently you can do your own welding. What made you decide to go long route rather than change the end tanks and go short route with the piping?

John

dime2nr
(Member ++)
10/29/05 03:38 PM

no real reason for not going short route at the moment but if i decide to change its not like its a big headache just some time

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/30/05 01:30 AM

Quote:

You want cheaper parts, look for industrial or construction piping, silicon, etc.

Examples of cheap places to get silicone reducers, please. 3" reduced to 2.25" isn't cheap.

For welding, at the worst, just get a cheapie Mig-100 from Harbor Freight for $120 if you don't mind ugly welds. Cover them in JB Weld and there you are. Any monkey can stick two pieces of steel together. It'll pay for itself in one or two uses. I think I already mentioned it will look ugly (but works).

Pipe and bends aren't hard to come by. Just make sure it's aluminized so it doesn't rust as easily.

I get t-bolt clamps from Napa for $3. You can crush pipe with those. Good enough for me.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/30/05 01:59 AM

Alot of people may not know this yet, but if you have a NAPA AUTOPARTS around your area, they have some hosing and clamps... cheap...

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
10/30/05 02:02 AM

holy hell dime2nr! mandrel piping isn't that expensive. It would take you a month to do all those welds!

dime2nr
(Member ++)
10/30/05 02:27 AM

it did take me about a month to finish the pipes but i wanted something alittle bit different plus its was really good practice for my stainless welding cert i took right after i got done with them. totaled over 70 tig welded joints in the pipes.

toslow
(breakfest)
10/30/05 12:18 PM

looks good, some people say thats better than mandrel bends, Supra guys do it all the time.

number3
(Senior Member)
10/30/05 08:00 PM

Better that mandrel bends? I wouldn't go that far... but it does take a lot of time and energy to pull it off and is "different."

The best part that he did it himself.

I assume the system was pressure checked for leaks. It is very easy to have a pin hole in a weld and there are a lot of welds there. (This where the liquid metal comes in real handy.)

jogalant
(jobidet)
10/30/05 08:47 PM

I'm doing an FMIC conversion on my GT-Four right now and bought straight aluminum pipes from this guy. He's got the lowest prices, hands down, plus he'll cut to whatever length you want up to 4 feet so it's not expensive shipping-wise. Anything longer than that and UPS increases shipping cost, he said.

He cut me 8 feet of pipe, in 2-foot sections, for around $37.00. I forget his shipping cost but it was very reasonable.

http://stores.ebay.com/Velocity-Air

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/05/05 07:16 PM

haha been a while since someone replied in this post. i just have a few questions for those of you who have successfully pulled off custom piping. first of all, could any of you guys be nice enough to post what pieces you used and what length you used? (90 degree bend, 6 inches, etc.) be as specific as you can please. pictures would be great too. thanks so much in advance.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/05/05 07:55 PM

search for FMIC and my username. You will find a huge post that will be pretty helpful and full of pictures...

Polish
(Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger)
12/05/05 08:26 PM

Every car is going to be different too. Depends on the turbo you have, what kind of outlet (pipe) and size it uses. What size intercooler you have, where the outlets are located, what size they are, and so on. Also what kind of Throttle body elbow you choose. Also if you are using a 2g/3g Maf or a Blow Through Maf sensor. What kind of BOV you use and where it needs to mount. Also what kind of intake pipe you are running, because the intercooler pipes need to clear it. If you are using a Maf on the intake you need to have a BOV return pipe on it, obviously. So the BOV flange will need to be welded in a spot where the recirculation pipe can be routed without interference. Sure you could try to mimic someones setup closely but unless you have an identical setup there is not going to be a set list of parts.

If you have an intercooler with inlets facing the rear of the car you can do simple short route pipes. For the intercooler to TB pipe you really only need a 45 degree bend coming from the IC and a 90 degree bend for a TB Elbow. Then about 2ft or so of piping along with a TB flange and a BOV flange.

Depending on your turbo the outlet pipe will be up to you. You can probably get away with a 45 degree bend coming from the IC, the same as the other side. Then a 90 degree bend towards the turbo. Like I said depending on the turbo your outlet pipe location will be different but with the pipe from the IC pipe right there you can just match them up with whatever bend or straight connector or reducer you need.

If you have a side to side style intercooler like me it gets more complicated. I would have preferred short route but this is what I have. For my IC to TB pipe it will have a 45 degree bend on the TB welded to a straight piece that ends right above where the stock battery fits. It will then 90 degree down through a hole I have to cut. It will then have another 90 Degree bend going forwards to the front of the car. Yet another 90 Degree bend will be welded to that and end right at the IC outlet. Yes there are 3 90 degree bends and a 45 degree bend in the UICP alone, if someone knows a better way short of modifying the IC please chime in.

The Turbo to IC pipe is not quite as bad. It will come out of the IC and make 1 180 degree bend around the core support and then run under the turbo right behind the radiator. It will end right below the compressor housing and connect to a 2G style J-Pipe on the 16G with a single 90 Degree connector.

I know this an Ultra long route piping and will cost me a little extra power but oh well. It will have minimal connectors to blow off and will be all 2.5" piping.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/05/05 11:19 PM

This is my old setup

dime2nr
(Member ++)
12/06/05 04:31 AM

10' straight stainless 2.5 inch tube
1 1.5-2.5in reduces
3/8 stainless plate to cut flanges
18 inches straight 2.5 radiator hose
and alot of time and paitience

powerplay
(Yes Man)
12/06/05 04:43 AM

This is DSG custom

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/06/05 06:04 PM

ok i found out more specifics for my exact setup. i beliiieve i have the following:
-a fuso intercooler? small npr

-a 2g throttle elbow
-14b

so what exactly would i need? im thinking of just getting a +$100 pipe kit off ebay. the problem is i dont know what bends i will not have enough of.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/06/05 07:38 PM

by the way both the inlets face towards the engine and are at the very bottom of the intercooler.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/07/05 02:08 AM

Hey that looks like my front bumper... except my IC isn't hung upside down ! Just kidding man. Why do you want to change it. Does it still use alot of stock pieces??

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/07/05 08:50 AM

nah i have custom ic pipes right now. but theyre really poorly made. the last bend on the upper ic pipe is so bad that it scrape on the floor when i go over a bump. hehe.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/08/05 05:53 PM

so i pulled out my old upper ic pipe today, and it is destroyed. haha. there were so many dents and whatnot, most of the pipe is no longer a circle, i think its taken more of an oval shape to it.

so looking at my lower ic pipe left me kinda confused. should this be a smaller diameter pipe? and what bends? i think the way it is now it goes from partially the stock ic piping to 2.5. its pretty banged up too so ill have to redo that one too.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/16/05 02:01 AM

I had the sbr race 1g kit on my car for a day (borrowed it from my brother). I had to move the radiator to the drivers side a little and do some minor trimming. I also had to bend the mounting bracket on the intercooler a bit. It actually fits pretty well. The inlet pipe should ideally be angled inward about 15-20 degrees for a galant and be about 2-3" shorter, for clearance. I have a jdm bumper so I don't have any idea how it would fit with a us bumper.

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
12/16/05 07:13 AM

Intercooler core 23 X 9 X 3 with 2.5" hot side and 3" cold side pipes

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/17/05 11:48 PM

here is my "custom" piping, and what i would say is the best way to mount an NPR
oh, by the way... the ic is level, it's the car thats not

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/18/05 10:05 PM

haha. that makes so much more sense. i was just thinking the other day, why would you point the inlets down? makes it so much harder. maybe ill have to look into that. what are you using to hold the ic up? just a few brackets?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/19/05 04:59 PM

this is probably a stupid question, but what is the device between the two orange expanders?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/19/05 05:18 PM

nevermind, a gm mas. looked it up.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/19/05 05:26 PM

1fast4door, do you happen to have anymore pics of your setup? thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
12/22/05 12:33 AM

I have these 2. I can take more if someone wants to see something specific. I tried to get a good shot that showed the piping behing the headlight on the pass side, but there isn't much room. The NPR had four mounting tabs on it, i just cut the bumper support and drilled holes to match and then cut off the bottom tabs on the IC. I did need to trim the headlight bracket quite a bit, i was a bit worried about it not having enough support and shaking at speed, but after i bolted the headlight in, it firmed it right up.

sleepyvr4
(I Hate Kitty Cats)
04/30/06 09:31 AM

some bumper hacking was required, some hacking of thin metal under both headlights (absolutely nothing was supported by this metal)

three steel 90 degree mandrel bends, two 2.5" steel straight pieces (one for bov), straight 2.5" silicon connectors, one 2.5" silicon 90 elbow, one 2.5" silicon 45 degree elbow, NT throttle body, gm maf in blow though with 3.25" to 2.5" silicon reducers, custom tdo5 compressor housing, t-bolt clamps.

I finally used this wrap I had lying around ($15 for 50 ft)

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
08/28/06 09:10 AM

here's some pics of mine for thoes of you out there who have the rre radiator.
hope this helps. i'ts 2.75'' post ic and 2.5 pre ic. i made it this way in anticipation of a manifold and a large turbo
Pete

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
08/28/06 10:08 PM

You can do short route. It is easy if you don't mind putting a bit of work into it.

Needed:

Any 1g 2.5in "short route" FMIC pipe kit (I used lucas english's kit)
Any 1g "short route" FMIC

Modification you need to do to your VR4?
- Use torch/plasma cutter to remove material from the front sheetmetal around the bottom left/right of each side of your radiator area. This allows the short route pipes room to make it. The passenger side needs very little removed, you can squeeze the 2.5" pipe easily by bending in the superficial fins in the end of your radiator. The drivers side needs a bit more material taken off to allow piping to sneak by. But still this is very minimal.

-The 1g 14b/16g outlet pipe needs to be fabbed a bit to keep it from hitting the much closer vr4 radiator.

-Bumper support may need cut in order to fit thicker intercoolers. I cut out the middle of mine to retain fog lights nicely.

Here are a few pictures of the setup. I did it for pretty cheap (800ish bucks) and it is by far the "shortest" and best imo FMIC setup you can do for your VR4

spooling92vr4
(Yeah Toast! * Now with JELLY!!!)
08/29/06 09:17 PM

I went the "long route" with my car because the intercooler fired that way, it would have been ridiculous to do it any other way...

this is a basic Dave Brode core, with custom 2.5 inch "cold side" i ended up having to have the hot side modified to come out straight rather then over the manifold like stock galants, look at the pics it will be obvious why. these pics are just the mock up of the pipes they are all just tack welded. as you can see in the last pic i built an intake as-well ( by the time that was done the piping already started to get surface rust on them) in a few more days all the piping is going to the powder coater anyway.

4Grim
(I deliver.)
08/30/06 11:47 AM

I switched to a N/T throttleMe and my friend did the new I/C piping setup ourselves...we spent around $300 in pipes, tbolt clamps and silicon couplers. I went with a short route setup and I believe we used the following:

(3) 90* mandrel bend pipes
(1) U bend pipe
(2-3) straight pipes

All pipes are 2.5" in diamter.

I bought my silicon couplers from ATP turbo online and my Tbolt clamps I bought locally. It took a good FULL day to finish the piping. It wasnt that hard actually...but I guess it helps when you have somebody who has done alot of custom I/C piping setups.

Here are a couple pics of the current setup:

I also did my I/C piping on my 96 Galant:

DSMTurbo2
(Freeze plugs hate me)
09/16/06 11:50 AM

Here was the setup I just ran. Trimed the rad a bit but didnt move it.
Core is a bar and plate 9?x26x3.5.
piping is 2.5 mild steel (hey I did it myself)
2g t body elbow.

I will try to get some more pics with the bumper off soon if someone wants them. Erik O.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
01/15/07 09:03 PM

Heres how I setup my car:

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page