VR4coop
(Senior Member)
05/02/05 11:04 AM
High Performance Intake Manifolds

What is everyones experience with any of the high performance intake mani's out there. ie- BJ's, Forrester,Magnus... ect. While i have my whole motor out i was thinking about doing this. My mods for a reference

Balance shafts eliminated
Re-Freshed Head w/ Extreme Motorsports Lifters
DNP Performance Tubular Exhaust manifold
Victory Performance 2.5 o2 housing with 38mm Tial external dump
Tial 38mm external wastegate
3.0 Dp/Exhaust and magnaflow muffler
SlowBoy Racing GT12 turbo
Eagle Forged Rods
PWR kevlar timing belt

2g MAF w/ K&N
Dejon Tool turbo intake w/ BOV recirculate
Removed All Emission
Crushed 1g BOV
Walbro 255 pump Rewired
SX/BR Adj Fuel Pressure Reg.(39psi base)
Denso 660 Injectors ( Just cleaned by Cruzin performance)
ACT 2600 w/ street disc
XACT lightened flywheel
3speed Scatter shield
Accel Wires
NGK plugs
31.5x8x3 Precision I/C with 2.5 pipes

-Electronics-
Apexi SAFC 2 (Black Face)
TMO logging software
Keydiver Stage 3 chip ( Injector and Maf Compensation)

mistaVR4
(Rest in Peace)
05/02/05 11:11 AM
Re: High Performance Intake Manifolds

Theres some good info in here: manifold shootout

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
05/02/05 11:30 AM

Im running the magnus manifold and it rocks. Look in the memebers ride for mods. Your gonna need new upper intercooler pipe, relocate the coil and transister pack. It bolts up to the factor TB. The car pulls harder up top and better spool up.

VR4coop
(Senior Member)
05/02/05 10:25 PM

After doing some research and looking at the data. I think im going to wait on the manifold for now. maybe next year!. Thanx though guys

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 06:36 AM

Coop u should get cams first

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 08:09 AM

May i suggest a stock "Extrude Honed" manifold.
Does wonders.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 09:10 AM

Quote:

Im running the magnus manifold and it rocks. Look in the memebers ride for mods. Your gonna need new upper intercooler pipe, relocate the coil and transister pack. It bolts up to the factor TB. The car pulls harder up top and better spool up.

where is 'up top' according to that shootout it doesn't start improvement over stock untill ~6k and you are giving up quite a bit on the pre ~6k range.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
05/03/05 09:17 AM

From personal experience and every car is different. The manifold pulls harder after 5500, that's before the FP2's. With the FP2's it pulls even harder at around the same rpm range.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 09:23 AM

I'm running a FRH manifold on my Talon, I noticed a differience in the upper RPM range, not a huge improvement over stock, but once I installed the HKS 272 Cams I noticed a huge gain in upper RPM response. If I had to do it again I would of gone with a BJ's but it really isn't a worth while mod until your pushing over 350 to the wheels, the stock manifold is good enough to run 11's with.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 04:08 PM

Quote:

Does wonders.

I'm going to take that one step further, a cyclone extrude honed with Keydiver's chip should get you everything you need & nothing you don't.

464/2K
(<3s Rance and self distrusts)
05/03/05 04:37 PM

dont forget jon's(jonvr4) performance

number3
(Senior Member)
05/03/05 05:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does wonders.

I'm going to take that one step further, a cyclone extrude honed with Keydiver's chip should get you everything you need & nothing you don't.

FWIW.

I put down 470 @ 28psi with the Extrude honed US intake that I have had forever.

Nate put on a Cyclone intake and dynoed his car and lost roughly 60-80 hp. His setup is pretty close to mine. He put the EVO intake back on. (The EVO intake is very simular to the US intake.)

Polish
(Dr. Pilosh Haagenscodyberger)
05/03/05 05:05 PM

Was his Evo intake Extrude Honed?

MMorgan
(Senior Member)
05/03/05 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does wonders.

I remember talking to someone with an extrude honed cyclone manifold when I was in florida over the summer but I don't know if they ever put it on. Maybe they can add something about it.

atc250r
(Senior Ricer)
05/03/05 07:36 PM

I'm going to say cams too. The top end I picked up with a port job, Ferrea valves (oversize exhaust), and a set of 264's was nothing short of amazing. My motor was done by 7200 and with the fresh head it pulls to 8000 in first and at least 7800 in second. Then the injectors aren't enough and it starts knocking. All of that will be fixed soon though .

John

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 08:41 PM

Quote:

You must use the word performance more loosely than I.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/03/05 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does wonders.

FWIW.

I put down 470 @ 28psi with the Extrude honed US intake that I have had forever.

Nate put on a Cyclone intake and dynoed his car and lost roughly 60-80 hp. His setup is pretty close to mine. He put the EVO intake back on. (The EVO intake is very simular to the US intake.)

Good to know #1, I mean #3. However, the kick in the pants is the 'K' man's chip. As I recall, 30% increase in torque down low with a loss of 1% hp up top. Every setup is different. You've had actual real world experience, I'm going by what I read.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/05 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You must use the word performance more loosely than I.

I suppose you are implying that you are some sort of master fabricator? Good luck trying to sell that idea to everyone here.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/05 09:26 PM

Quote:

I suppose you are implying that you are some sort of master fabricator? Good luck trying to sell that idea to everyone here.

I said nothing of the sort. My work speaks for itself and I am not trying to sell an intake manifold. Look at the comments above from ANOTHER PERSON about YOUR WORK which I have heard from other people as well and seen in person.

I put my work up for public comment and criticism not only on this board but on several other large car and fab boards. Constructive criticism is the only way to improve as well as innovation. I'm not here to sling insults and be rude (hence the smiley on my comment) but if you want to do that let's do it in another thread.

EDIT: Apparently that comment was removed when you posted but basicly described several issue with the manifold you produced and sold. AND I'm an idiot and did not put a smiley.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/05 09:38 PM

Quote:

Apparently that comment was removed when you posted but basicly described several issue with the manifold you produced and sold.

I never seen the comment, so I have no way to know what was said.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
05/06/05 11:15 PM

Well, It was my comment that was deleted for some reason. Why, I have no idea but frankly it really pissed me off! What I said was to this effect:

I mean no disrespect and offense to any one here but I regret purchasing the JONVR4 Intake Manifold. It has been nothing but trouble from day one. I had to have the "main" flange milled 3 times which cost me over $120.00 because it was so warped. Than on top of that I had to have the throttle body flange milled because that was warped as well. And of course, I found this out after it was installed and had to be removed multiple times! The intake is still leaking at the throttle body and before any one asks: Yes, I used new gaskets when I installed it. I originally thought I was getting a deal on a SMIM but I truly feel I made a huge error in judgment. I ordered my Magnus Mani with all the works today to rectify the situation.

Just my .02 Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/28/05 08:01 AM

Ohhh Faustus....someday you will listen to me..my son!!

a_santos
(Brasileiro Turbinado)
06/28/05 08:33 AM

might have to look into getting my Cyclone extrude honed.

Just my opinion, but I would stick with the stock manifolds, be it US, or cyclone. They are plenty good for a lot of HP, and I think money can be better spent somewhere else.

VR4coop
(Senior Member)
06/28/05 09:09 AM

I ended up going with a Stock US extrude honed intake. It isnt on the car yet. After doing some research and figuring out what i wanted from my car i realized that any of the " High Performance" Intakes were not worth it for me.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/28/05 04:03 PM

Intake manifold design requires far more work than most people think. Cams come into play, exhaust manifold, veolcity, etc. I'm not convinced anyone has it right yet. I plan on getting a custom intake manifold made when I go full race, but that's a long way off.

I'm sticking with a extrude honed stocker for now (thanks CO VR4!).

twkd

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/29/05 09:11 PM

How's this for an intake mani? Plenum can vary depending on your need, also choice of stock t/body setup or Mustang 75mm. Maintain factory runners for low end torque & huge plenum for hi flow up top suckas. Who wants some more of this? Contact Steven Wright 9am-5pm 954 290 0145 or <a href="[email protected]" target="_blank">email</a> Wrightouch Automotive & Supertuning. Tell him I sent you.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
06/30/05 12:11 AM

Now at no charge.

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
06/30/05 01:33 AM

What is THAT? ... throttle bodies for a 4G63?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 06:12 AM

Those are velocity stacks which are at the top of every runner in a Magnus SMIM. They are a free option now, which I guess means they are standard and not options any more. Those bastards changed the pricing policy the very next day after they charged me for those! Oh Well, I still like it and would recommend it to anyone else.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 08:27 AM

Garfield, got any data on the performance of that hybrid manny?

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 09:35 AM

Faustus the only reason you recommend it is because I told you its the shit!! ...and of course its going on my car...

boostx
(On The Wrong Side. )
06/30/05 09:42 AM

any dyno runs

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 09:52 AM

I dont have the Magnus on yet but from what I see you lose a hair down below and pick up 20whp and it doesnt drop off..

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 10:39 AM

Quote:

Faustus the only reason you recommend it is because I told you its the shit!! ...and of course its going on my car...

Yep, That's the only reason I bought it. Because TurboBoy told me to. I really wish I could develop a mind of my own...

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 10:41 AM

Quote:

How's this for an intake mani? Plenum can vary depending on your need, also choice of stock t/body setup or Mustang 75mm. Maintain factory runners for low end torque & huge plenum for hi flow up top suckas. Who wants some more of this? Contact Steven Wright 9am-5pm 954 290 0145 or <a href="[email protected]" target="_blank">email</a> Wrightouch Automotive & Supertuning. Tell him I sent you.

I thought the whole point of a SMIM was to get rid of the OEM Runners...Isn't that the most restrictive part of an OEM Intake Manifold? Just wondering...

G
(JDM Unit)
06/30/05 12:18 PM

a friend of mine runs an evo 3 mani that's been extrude honed, seems to be a good setup.

14u2nV
(Resident Pedobear)
06/30/05 12:20 PM

side view of the big one please, and why didn't you go ahead and have the stock part of it polished?

gaylantvr4
(Joe)
06/30/05 01:35 PM

Also isn't ams releasing an intake manifold for ous soon? There design look svery nice when I seen it on tuners

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 01:53 PM

Oh Faustus it ok

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 04:19 PM

I thought the whole point of a SMIM was to get rid of the OEM Runners...Isn't that the most restrictive part of an OEM Intake Manifold? Just wondering...

Not with a nice port job. Aslo keep in mind that the short runners only make the additional power up in honda vtec rpm range. The factory runners will keep you happy all the way through the power band.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 04:24 PM

Quote:

Garfield, got any data on the performance of that hybrid manny?

Howard, I wasn't there when this design was 1st tested over 3 years ago, but I'm told 100hp on a full race engine Ofcourse on a street engine with mild work I don't think the gain would be that signicant. In the near future (when I finally dyno my car), I'm going to dyno with the oem mani & then with this. I have a friend with a fully built 2.4l galant that is working out the details of his 25g setup with this manifold. We're planning on going to the dyno the same time.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
06/30/05 04:44 PM

Quote:

If the Evo intake matched his head ports (2 G sized) then the Cyclone manifold would not of matched.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/02/05 02:39 PM

Garfield you got any idea on price? I would like the power to just not fall off after 7k and keep the stock powerband. The evo 8 manifold is sick on those cars. It is perfect. Does not start dropping power till over 8k with a great powerband. Wish there was a aftermarket manifold available for us that did that.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/02/05 02:43 PM

there is. its a hogans, AKA extreme motorsports. Very pricey but very very nice.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/02/05 03:41 PM

Hogan manifold is made for pure flow as is BJ one
thats y they make more power than any other intake out there
what needs to be done is intake that has longer runners of at least 6 inches with velocity stacks to even out the flow to all 4 runners and a hefty size plenum.
but with plenum size bigger than stock u will obviously loose that low end torque

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/02/05 03:59 PM

Quote:

Garfield you got any idea on price? I would like the power to just not fall off after 7k and keep the stock powerband. The evo 8 manifold is sick on those cars. It is perfect. Does not start dropping power till over 8k with a great powerband. Wish there was a aftermarket manifold available for us that did that.

What about a cyclone type manifold with slightly smaller, but same length primary runners, and bigger&shorter secondary runners? With a vtec-type controller you could control the changeover point. In theory it would give just as much bottom end with a bit more topend. Wouldn't like to think about the cost, though.

Didn't Alex's partner from Dentsport (sorry don't remember your name ) post a pic of a Lancer Evo Group A Cyclone some time ago. That one looked the ticket, with shorter fatter runners and a bigger plenum than the VR4 cyclone.

Mike.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/07/05 08:56 PM

Quote:

Garfield you got any idea on price?

Geo, Contact Steven Wright 9am-5pm 954 290 0145 or email him at [email protected] Tell him I referred you. I don't recall pricing, I do believe it's less than the Forester mani.

boostx
(On The Wrong Side. )
07/24/05 08:33 PM

Quote:

will there be any performance gain if the runners curve and made as long as the stocks one and not straight

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
07/25/05 12:48 PM

the word you're looking for i beleive is TAPER. one of the newer Modified mags has a nice article on intake mani design, also written by Martin at ams

powerplay
(Yes Man)
07/25/05 04:17 PM

For the members who were interested in seeing the cyclone intake HPC coated, here are some pictures.

Hksvr4
(The New Vettel)
07/25/05 06:16 PM

looks like a tommy gun

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page