curtis
(Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic)
10/28/06 06:06 PM
FEELER: Possible headliner group buy (update installed)

My next door neighbor has been in the uphositery business forever he took it over from his father. He's probably been working in the business for 50 years or so. He's old school and says he's never even seen ebay before.

Anyway since the car is being torn down for the clutch next week I'm taking the headliner/sunroof panel and the visors to him. He's doing mine with black suede to match the door panels. After he does mine and can give a price that he could do it for he said he could do as many as we want. I'll hit the local junkyards for extra's so it will be a quick turn around then when we run out of people wanting them the extras can be sold on ebay or here.

I know you guys want commit to it without a price but I would like a possible headcount for him the more the better because he can buy the material in bulk and be cheaper for all of us. He might be able to get the factory material but hell it doesn't match anyway. The suede I'm thinking will look like it been rallyfide flocked.

Don't pm me just post here. I get enough PM's about stuff already.

Just put down if you have a sunroof or not and if you also want visors done not sure yet if he can put the mirrors back in or not because factory visors are heat sealed not sewn.

This will be done like my brake rotor group buy. I'll give everyone a chance to save up the money and you can ship them here or his shop. If people have extras send them also it will be better for all. They'll be a drop dead date for the money to be in to my paypal and then we'll start shipping them out. Remember these will be oversized packages and shipping will be more than a 20 or 30 bucks. Not sure yet what it will be. This will be a first in, first out deal. No cutting line etc. If we ship out a headliner without yours first, we expect it to be installed asap so we'll have your core in stock for the next guy.

Also any other suggestions for this to run as smooth as the brake group buy let me know.

Thanks Curtis

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/06 06:08 PM
Re: FEELER: Possible headliner group buy

I would be interested in door/visor stuff.

CmanorVr4
(Member +++)
10/28/06 07:25 PM

Black suede for me too, I have a sunroof and would want the visors as well. Don't really care about the mirrors, I watch the road when I drive.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/28/06 07:32 PM

I am very interested. I just tore out what was left of my headliner and have been scratching my head as what to do next. But I am not sure I could benefit from this, my car has a ASC sunroof installed and there is literly no carboard backing or whatever to glue the material to. I would even be interested in the headliner for a no sunroof car and cut the opening if that is the way it would have to be done. But I am more interested in the factory gray colored material that I tore off. Not sure how the suede would look. Can you post pics of yours when it is finished?

Gordian79
(teh Gaugemaster)
10/28/06 09:59 PM

Im interested with visors of course i dont need the visor mirror also.I put my make up on before i get in the car

gtluke
(Fegbasket)
10/28/06 10:20 PM

depending on the price i'd be up for visors and a sunroof headliner.
mine looks like crap.

iLLeffeKt vr-4
(Hertz pulverized mine)
10/29/06 07:19 AM

interested in the headliner, visors. sunroof car.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/29/06 11:22 AM

headliner and vidors no sunroof

curtis
10/29/06 01:02 PM

Talked to him this morning again. He said on some headliners small casting marks show up with suede but he said what he does is put on a normal cover that has the foam backing then suede over it. I guess will see what happens over the next few weeks I'm taking mine to him whan I can.

Mods if you want put this as a sticky.....

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/29/06 01:37 PM

Black suede, sunroof and would want the visors as well

curtis
10/29/06 06:54 PM

Hey Curtis, let me know how much the headliner and visors would be if your friend wants to do them. My visor came apart over the summer. Later.

Hill

1941Galant

curtis
10/29/06 06:54 PM

Paul also is in for a non sunrof and visors.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/29/06 07:30 PM

I would be in for sunroof headliner and visors in suede

mistaVR4
(Rest in Peace)
10/29/06 10:53 PM

Headliner/visors, black suede, sunroof car! Mines in terrible condition.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
10/30/06 11:02 AM

Headliner + Visors price dependant, Sunroofs are for girls.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/01/06 05:39 AM

I'm also really interested in a black headliner and visors (with or without mirror). Car has sunroof.

I would really like to see a picture of the finish headliner installed - when can you post the pictures them?

cheekychimp
(Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls)
11/01/06 09:17 AM

Can we eliminate the OMFG handles in the process?

vr460mez
(Junior Member)
11/01/06 12:51 PM

how would this get shipped with out getting destroyed. headliners are fragile and bulky.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/01/06 01:28 PM

my guess is they would be rolled up in a tube. headliners are just cloth.

vr460mez
(Junior Member)
11/01/06 03:12 PM

incorrect headliner is a cardboard material or fiberglass. My coworker does upholstery and I have done some headliners my self. If you roll it up it would destroy its shape.

Nijasan
(polevault tard)
11/01/06 04:30 PM

Keep in mind that if you want manual belts (eventually) you need a different headliner, as ours doesn't quite come down far enough on the sides.

Also, the oh shit handles really help keep the headliner in place. It'll sag without 'em. Although you could just screw some type of clip in place to perform the same task.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/01/06 04:45 PM

Well I think with the boards' shipping woes recently the best option would most likely be for the buyers to just suck it up and pay for good shipping. Big, heavily-packed & bulky boxes that might cost a lot to ship, but whatever.

Gordian79
(teh Gaugemaster)
11/01/06 05:23 PM

I bought a headliner for my volvo wagon and shipping was about $60.It took awhile(8 days) as it came by truck freight.

toybreaker
(it's peace of mind at 100 mph plus)
11/01/06 08:43 PM

Quote:

Well I think with the boards' shipping woes recently the best option would most likely be for the buyers to just suck it up and pay for good shipping. Big, heavily-packed & bulky boxes that might cost a lot to ship, but whatever.

Headliners nest/stack really well, one on top of another. If we can get several people from the same area to ship together, we can share the shipping costs, and only have to build one container for each general shipping point.

I have a couple of cores (with sunroof) that could be shipped from colorado, if that helps.

curtis
11/12/06 08:05 PM

Removed the headliner today. Sorry it took so long but the tranny/clutch was the priority.

Carried over to him and put in the truck so he can take them tommorrow.

I removed the switches, visors, handholds and anything else with a screw driver first.
Then the side pieces on top and then the rear seals and then the A pillars. Becare and take your time they all come right off. Slide the liner down forward and its out throught the back doors.

As for the sunroof damn its heavy. Had to remove the side supports 4 or 5 6 mm bolts each times 4 then the wires to the motors/relay etc, 4 drain tubes then finally was able to remove it. You'll need a friend to help. It has 4 nuts in front and one on each side. Remove the front ones first then as some one help remove the sides and lower. Now the fun part the cloth covered tray has to come out. I removed the rear most screws and clips and pulled it apart as I slid it out.

He said the ring around the sunroof hole could be dipped in die or replace with a black material I'll see it tomorrow.

Here's what it looks like without it.

After I get it back I'll post some pictures, prices, etc. Also the extras you have may help a buddy out. So we down have any down time. Thanks Curtis

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/13/06 08:32 AM

Not to rain on the parade.

But just about any upholstery shop will replace a headliner for pretty short money. I would look into finding a local shop before I was going to drop ~100$ on shipping alone.

Dan

curtis
11/13/06 04:26 PM

These are some pictures of the materials

The last one shows a black and then an onxy which I picked for mine the black looks like a dark blue like the die that comes off a sparco wheel...(paul has heard my rant)

The other flip open books shows different colors and also types. There is an un-backed , backed and also a laser cut perferated which would be sweet for the sunroof slider but I'm probably just going with the standard stuff.

He said he buys it by the yard and it would be cheaper on everyone if he could buy a roll. Also the other color that looked good is the graphite grey that are the three large pieces on the flip open book. Unless you want pimp purple or rally red.

Anyway he was sewing up a visor for an 02 Vette that the guy had installed a garage opener into, looked really clean but was being a pain to do since the size was so thick. He hadn't called on prices for my material yet. Not sure when he'll have it done but want be long now. Its amazing how dirty it was when its flipped over so sunlight can hit it.

Picture enjoy the camera is a 6.3 meg so yo can right clip save as and enlarge to see.

I'll keep you guys informed when its done I'll post pictures of it installed. Curtis

curtis
11/13/06 04:30 PM

Laser cut. I zoomed it and dropped the contrast 30 percent.

cheekychimp
11/14/06 03:19 PM

I want that perforated stuff that looks way way cool.

CmanorVr4
(Member +++)
11/14/06 04:55 PM

That Synergy performer dark graphite looks nice with the laser cut!!

curtis
11/22/06 04:43 PM

He had them done last Friday so it didn't take long. But since I was gone he ran them by this evening. I'll probably get them installed tonight and post pictures and prices later tonight or on Friday. This stuff turned out way better than I thought it would.

Moderators please sticky this for me.

CmanorVr4
(Member +++)
11/22/06 05:51 PM

Damn,,,,that looks good!!!!

Doctor_D
(Member +)
11/22/06 06:02 PM

I dont need a headliner but that looks good, makes me want to do mine.

curtis
11/22/06 08:25 PM

I couldn't wait until the weekend.

I'm not going to use the the hand holds so I'll find some covers for the screws or something to fill the holes with and I'm going to paint the light sunroof switch assembly, sunroof board slider and the visor clips.

The third picture down really shows the color, the flash keeps washing out and turns it a grey color, This stuff looks just like suede in the doors.

Also for all you guys that don't have a sunroof......I HATE YOU. Those are no fun pulling out or putting in also they weigh to much.

Before anyone says anything yes I broke the a pillar on the pass side. I was going to use one of Pauls but its for a non power belt car.

Enjoy

1941Galant
(Will fight mice for food)
11/22/06 08:28 PM

Looking good Curtis. What seats are those?

curtis
11/22/06 08:34 PM

There out of a Honda crx, everyone says there factory recaros and only weigh about 25 pounds each. I had them covered and were in the mustang for a few years I hated to see them go with the car so I built some mounts and boom cheap install.

cheekychimp
11/22/06 08:51 PM

I am 100% in. No choice after seeing those pictures. This car is going to be like new.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/23/06 04:27 AM

That looks great. I'm in need of new headliner.

**DONOTDELETE**
(Unregistered)
11/23/06 12:55 PM

I wouldnt mind a new one

CmanorVr4
(Member +++)
12/02/06 06:49 AM

Curtis did you die the felt trim yourself? If so what make and color dye? Jason

curtis
12/02/06 08:51 PM

The dye is something he used if your talking about the ring around the sunroof. Its probably the SEM brand.

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 4 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page