The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Yay me! Being bad during camshaft install.

Captn

So today I thought it would be a good idea to install my regrind 272 cams while my turbo was out for rebuild/exchange.

I was installing the shims for the regrind cams got to the last lifter and dropped the shim into the top right oil galley..... I am pretty thrilled.

This is where is gets better! I just brushed it off and tried again...BUTTERFINGERS there goes another shim in the same oil galley...

Has anyone done this before?

These were stainless steel, I tried a magnet on the left over ones and they barely stuck.

I can't see them at all but I know it was the top right oil galley intake side near cam gears.

I guess I will have to pull the pan and see if they made it down there.

Last edited:

prove_it

i thought I'd read this and see a pic of a snapped cam...

Yea, if you can't see them then hopefully they dropped all the way down. SS is non magnetic so only pliers or a pick will get them. Good call on pulling the pan and checking.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Captn

Well I am sure glad I didn't snap a cam...

I have to pull the pan tonight.

Anyone recommend anything over mitsu-bond for the oil pan?

I have read multiple things about this but would like opinions from this forum if possible.

Gasket + bond?
Just bond or rtv? Not sure which rtv but I'm leaning towards mitsu-bond.

LIV4PSI

Grey RTV works just as good and is cheaper than mitsubond. Definitely don't use RTV and a gasket either.

Captn

Awesome thank you!

I did not plan on using a gasket plus rtv I think I read it on tuners kind of counter productive if you ask me.

DR1665

From time to time, Karma tells each of us, "You are teh suck, no0b. Try again." This is your moment. Take a deep breath and learn as much as you can from it. Two years from now, you'll be glad you have this story to tell!

prove_it

Do not use a gasket. It will leak. Any quality rtv will work, just don't put down a fat bead thinking it will be better. A 1/8" inch bead is all you need. Also go around the bolt holes. If you apply too much it can ooze out into the block area and break off causing the oil pump inlet to plug up. Then you'll have a way worse story to tell.

Number996

I have a gasket and rtv blue on mine. No leaks, but wouldnt recomend using a gasket, snapped two pan bolts getting to fasten down

mitsuturbo

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Grey RTV works just as good and is cheaper than mitsubond. Definitely don't use RTV and a gasket either.

I believe the ultra grey permatex and whatever you'd buy from mitsubishi are exactly the same product, actually. When i worked at the dealership they were given interchangeably to myself and the other techs. The packaging was exactly the same, other than the label on it. I was told they're the same, but this came from the same guy that had been there 18 years and tried to tell me first gens have a crank sensor.. so i don't know how full of sh*t the guy may have been.

+do not use a gasket (been there, done that. leaked.)

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

you need:

grabber_tool_inset.jpg

prove_it

the claw!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captn

The problem is I can't see them so the claw doesn't help me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I like the fact that the grey rtv was like 8$ though.... I am on a very very tight budget, so saving that much helps a ton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Probably shouldn't have a project car for my one and only DD

Captn

Both shims were in the oil pan!!!!!!

How do you make the graemlin that is like spinning and all happy cuz thats how I feel right now.

Holy fight to get the oil pan off though I didn't have a light and it sucked.

Hertz

Staff member
Achievement unlocked: POS gremlins, right-click the word Instant Graemlins to access the secret list.

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif

Jesus_Negros

Hertz and Steve are very well rounded.....

CutlassJim

Quoting Captn:
I am on a very very tight budget,

Always a good start to modding a car. Would be even better if it was your only one.

Street Surgeon

To seal up the oil pan, use some Toyota FIPG..... It's teh win.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts