The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: Trunk Latch for 91' VR-4

abikepeddler

What's the deal with these trunk latch mechanisms on these cars? I have read through everything I can find on these forums and can only find passing mentions of this being an issue on these cars. Our recently acquired 91' VR-4 has a trunk latch that has a mind of it's own allowing the trunk to open at random times and then it does not want to re-latch. Looked online to buy one and they do not seem to exist or are NLA. Is my only option here in the GalantVR4.org parts wanted section/eBay or is there a solution to this issue? The car is perfect except for this one issue. Thanks for any insight or if you have a good working one please let me know...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Pot likely has offered you one, but perhaps the cable is sticking and keeping it open slightly, enough to allow release occasionally and resist relatching?

Aftermarket latches for doors as well as trunks are rare except for vehicles that see a high failure rate.

Otherwise, how are you liking the BaT car?

abikepeddler

Cable is free and not sticking. The issue is definitely the latch. It is just loose and sloppy and needs replacement. Car overall is excellent although the aftermarket springs are WAY to stiff. It does not promote better handling over stock springs when aftermarket springs case the car to deflects over mid-corner bumps when pushed hard. But other then that, the car is really decent. Granted it is not a replacement for the original 91' GVR-4 we bought new in late 1990 but it is a fun blast from the past. I currently have turned the car over to my awesome mechanic to fix a bouncing idle as well as address some other small things like a stiff clutch pedal and inoperable horns. It is funny though. I just bought a new Tesla Model X and the Galant has such a better... how do I describe it? Presence? Sense of occasion? When it is sitting in our driveway the Galant is just the right size and that huge greenhouse of glass and that cool wing, color matched wheels and special badging just tells you it is something different. Something cool. It is not your typical transportation pod that most new cars are. I honestly do not think I would ever sell the Galant. I kick myself for ever having sold #1337.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts