The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: Good condition 3 Bolt rear end

2000GTX

Looking for a real nice condition 3 bolt rear end.

I would prefer if the parts came out of a running and driving car and in good condition.

EDIT: Important things: My car is manual and has a GVR4 trans and 3 bolt DSM rear end swapped in.

So, according to the table of gear ratios on vfaq,

The highlighted yellow is what I was running, and the green is an option. So I can go with a VR4 rear end and have no issue.

However, vfaq didn't mention anything about a LSD or open. Which ones are LSD and which are open? And how does somebody convert from one to the other?

Last edited:

ktmrider

May want to specify LSD/TEL or open/GVR4 to avoid confusion.

2000GTX

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what I need. I'm thinking that whatever you guys pull out of your VR4's to replace with a 4 bolt works with me as long as it's in good/great shape.

BogusSVO

I have a 3 bolt w/ axles.

The cover is marked "B17" Vicious LSD

IIRC, It came from a bud's 4 bolt swap from his 1g Talon about 6 months ago.

I inherited when he moved, about 2 months ago.

I also have an EVO chunk also, missing the diff, but the ring and pinion gears are in it.

Ill toss that in with the other if you want it, and willing to pay shipping on the weight of it.

You now know as much as I do about it.

I can grab a few pic of it if you want.

$100 bucks for it all plus shipping.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting 2000GTX:
At this point, I'm not entirely sure what I need. I'm thinking that whatever you guys pull out of your VR4's to replace with a 4 bolt works with me as long as it's in good/great shape.

Is this for your 2000GTX?

I'm not sure we ever got this edition here in the states, but I *believe* it's the same platform as the GalantGSX.

... four wheel drive / non turbo

If that's the case, you will need a 2000GTX / GGSX unit, as I *believe* the final drive ratio is unique to those models.

You *might* be able to swap your ring and pinion (with a little work) into an lsd carrier, but you will need to get the matching axles, as the lsd units use (at least one) different driveshaft then the open units.

2000GTX

Yep it's for my gtx

It's definitely the same platform as the GGSX.

The only thing is that in the ad for my car, wowzer said he installed a GVR4 trans and 3 bolt DSM rear end.

Does that change anything? I have almost no clue about this kind of stuff, so feel free to enlighten me.

toybreaker

iconoclast
What's the sticker on the diff cover read?

If he swapped the driveline over to the GVR4 and T / E / L pieces, that is what you will need to get your machine back on the road.

snohacking

I just took me 3 bolt rear end out of my vr4. It was working fine just swapping it out for a 4-bolt. Lmk if you would like to check it out plus I am local.

2000GTX

The car is at the trans shop as we speak. The guy is real worried about being able to find parts, so this is why I'm looking for stuff on this site.

I'll find out what the label says on the cover and report back.

And I would love the parts to be local, of course. So if the parts I need are the ones you've got, we can definitely work something out.

2000GTX

Quoting toybreaker:
What's the sticker on the diff cover read?

If he swapped the driveline over to the GVR4 and T / E / L pieces, that is what you will need to get your machine back on the road.

So would a GVR4 rear end work for my application? I mean, I don't know what factors affect my problem. If I've got a GVR4 trans, that means that I can pick up a GVR4 rear end and stick it in there right? Would it matter if it's LSD or not? Any and all info you guys can pass on to me is greatly appreciated.

ktmrider

^^ There are a lot of factors that need addressing:

1. Auto or Manual trans on the GTX. On TEL models there was a choice which means final drive ratio for rear end and transfer case are different. John mentioned swapping the ring gear on whatever rear end you get, this will negate the need for TC swap.
2. All GVR4 models were manual trans with open/non-LSD rear end. IIRC the sticker code is B1B but again if sticker is gone or someone swapped out the rear diff cover it could be misleading.
3. LSD rear ends have different inner CV joints ( stub shaft length ) than non-LSD as noted. Again knowing what ratio is in your car now is vital.

wowzer

Trans was a GVR4 I know that for sure.
I think it was a GVR4 rear diff as well, but its been a few years. I am almost sure it is an open diff. I could not tell you who I got it from anymore or what car. I think it was a VR4 from some one around the midwest.

The reason I changed it was the viscous on the GSX GTX trans I believe took a dump. Find that trans is near impossible. So I swapped the Driveline.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts