The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: AC delete duct

slugsgomoo

Wondering if anyone has seen one in a bone yard or something. My knowledge is that there's a duct piece that replaces where the in-dash piece of the a/c sits- I'd like to get rid of that and put the proper duct in there.

mooserage

Staff member
I looked for probably 6-8 months and couldn't get one. Lots of inquiries to sellers online. Visited pick n pulls to see if any of the galants or 3KGTs had it (the same part in both cars), but no luck, all of em had A/C. I ended up modifying my old A/C housing and it worked well. If that interests you I think I have pictures somewhere. I am tempted to make something though, since it would take less space up than the A/C unit does and the originals seem to be NLA now. Good luck though!

slugsgomoo

Definitely interested in seeing what you did. Worst case, come on over and drink beers and laugh at me while I attempt to follow directions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

fuel

try searching in Europe - they tend to have more lesser spec 6Gs with carb engine, no A/C and crank windows etc.

mitsuturbo

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Wondering if anyone has seen one in a bone yard or something. My knowledge is that there's a duct piece that replaces where the in-dash piece of the a/c sits- I'd like to get rid of that and put the proper duct in there.

I just pulled the evaporator out of my assembly and reinstalled it. No big deal.

boostme

That's what I did to my 1G but then left a hole in the firewall. Couldn't find the plug that goes there. I found out later jnz sells it but not sure if its still available.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting slugsgomoo:

I just pulled the evaporator out of my assembly and reinstalled it. No big deal.

This is basically what I did, but also used some pieces of ABS plastic to block off the large holes left by the evap connection and the condensation tube so that I didn't drop too much pressure in the system.

You will need the A/C delete plug that you linked, but if you plan to remove the evaporation tube as well, you'll also need to get a round plug (can't remember the size) for the hole in the firewall.

I don't have an after picture, but I removed all of the ducts (heater core, evap, blower assembly and motor) and refurbished everything when I did my heater core. If you're just doing the evap, it's nice because its the first piece out/last piece in.

For the Evap, just remove the clips and gently separate it from the core. Once its removed, I cleaned it out (mine was disgusting bc 225K miles and there are no cabin filters), reassembled with the clips, and cut a piece of ABS off a sheet I had like this ABS Sheet. I cut it to fit fit over the upper hole (circled in blue) with some extra for a few screws to hold it down. You could use something with an adhesive here, but I didn't want to smell that, so a few self-tapping sheet metal screws held the ABS flush nicely.

I also went through the trouble of cutting off the evap tube nipple (circled in red )and placing a piece of ABS over this as well with a couple of screws. I wasn't going to use the drain anymore and its a pain to line up when installing. If you do remove it, just remember to get a round plug that fits in the hole there.
BoGSa1dmkMbAfo0CFFkp79eudyAz5Xf9k7Tz1RMsU7vD4YMoo0AFrjF8pSceTy0ffiBicE54omc2Hi7DdbJJCYrDRoO3ldrBXrC1HQho8ke1XkZ0FXs_ACDWJ5Z6YMTeDf4LIR6ESaWSxKI5Fsxewui_DmbDikukIWt2XsdpSPf1CrEmqnoMu0UZ-FOtMuhej6btchf9aU7bRTk1WBQUfGxH_005MSzAUJ0MMLWdJE7VIec2OLvGCCagaakxOufDQJGAhKWXPulqcX7vnrKx8mhhJAP54QcFqlnjAzrm8LUj5LsQtnTBvidFboCBppXnDDbB8Yd5-Om7Layfq__cfj4CGpLhIl4iInrL2CWvJQZ2uPssnRGU5c-37TlHfxE590hbNengBrNv1ltqIUuSHt4L-mm8RCcm0Gx9LxGwOYrkMM2E7VxPlzB3_ZXP6PPDxymMVX8QOtrkcPUPdBWvZJykiRwrPhpm0K3vy5uJzTRb39H4YcdFEqTD0E-2cs3w3iPhAH6MB3koEcdqpVU3tWTt8kEuqZn3MwdJguQI8HfxErXd_5KHh4RLYow0Vf8sNbWzSi1b6YwZikxN6TKa_c0hEBsBz7N2z3gkD9GEq4FA7YvkISEPNBoG5VGHXzf3LCdZCo1SVGyhrgynmkJsDki5jJh2OG5FrZu_RZ_pdTe8o6dTXxkYh78XUwPJumJB_P5Y1dsxOmyXYy2CTfWw1OePDg=w643-h928-no

BTW, In the process I used this hvac rubber tape for any seals that needed replacing since most were disintegrating.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and let me know if you need help.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts