The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wiseco HD Pistons HIT the oil squirters...

bmod530

After instating the rotating assembly, I noticed that the pistons hit the squirters and deflect the tube. I will post a pic up soon. Anyone have an idea whats up here? Im going to call Wiesco in a couple hours to question. Looks like EVO squirter's could do the trick to fix it though. This problem is with the 1400HD pistons 0.020 over.

Last edited:

bmod530

I didnt realize it was Saturday and there not "open" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Barnes

One thousandth of a millimeter? Or one thousandth of an inch? I know in internally rotating parts you don't need a huge amount of clearance, but I'm pretty sure you need more than 0.001". What part of the squirter do they get close to? The body? The little squirter tube itself?

bmod530

i was not trying to give a specific measurement, just purely stating that it is VERY close. It almost hits the end of the tube, where the oil is to be "squirting" from. Its flush with the bottom of the piston.

bmod530

***UPDATE The squirter actually hits the piston! After taking a closer look I was awestruck. Is there anyway I can clearance it by cutting down the oil squirter? Or should I just block em off?

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Can you bend the squirters? I thought I've heard of people doing that before. Maybe they didn't intend people using the squirters?

4thStroke

My motor has Mahle pistons. When the motor was assembled, they were supposed to make sure the pistons wouldn't hit the squirters. When I dropped the pan, I found 2 broken squirters in the pan. I didn't feel like dealing with it so I just removed whatever was left in the pan and sealed up back up. I contemplated blocking them off, but again, I didn't feel like wrenching in such a tight spot.

I believe Smitty had to clearance his Mahles, too.

They can be bent around, just be careful not to bend them too much and break them.

GVR-4

Just add an extra aluminum crush washer or a steel one sandwiched between two aluminum ones.

bmod530

Quoting jepherz:
Can you bend the squirters? I thought I've heard of people doing that before. Maybe they didn't intend people using the squirters?

I feel like this would cause a weak point in the tube, and would be a *Stress riser.

Quoting 4thStroke:
My motor has Mahle pistons. When the motor was assembled, they were supposed to make sure the pistons wouldn't hit the squirters. When I dropped the pan, I found 2 broken squirters in the pan. I didn't feel like dealing with it so I just removed whatever was left in the pan and sealed up back up. I contemplated blocking them off, but again, I didn't feel like wrenching in such a tight spot.

I believe Smitty had to clearance his Mahles, too.

They can be bent around, just be careful not to bend them too much and break them.

Thats unfortunate, and exactly what I DON'T want to happen! Again i'm not sure I feel %100 comfortable bending the material (Steel or brass????) into plastic deformation.

Quoting GVR-4:
Just add an extra aluminum crush washer or a steel one sandwiched between two aluminum ones.

I like this idea because I have extra (used) washers. 1 or 2 extra washers and maybe a little off of the tip of the squirter might just do the trick.

bmod530

NOTE: 2 Extra washers below the squirter will cause an interference with the crank and tube, and still does not have enough clearance to the pistons.

??????????????

bmod530

just cut a bit off of the tip and looks a little better now. supposedly a warning note from Wiseco says that the piston skirt will contact the oil squirter's. you need to re-adjust them and allow a minimum of .030 clearance between the skirt and the oil squirter.

prove_it

When I built my engine I had one or two wiseco pistons that hit the squirters. I just bent the squirter a little to clear the piston. Have not had a problem in over 12k miles.

fivestardsm

Quoting bmod530:
Bigger

Your squirter is not positioned correctly.

It is supost to be angled to the center of the piston a little bit more. It should just clear the side a little so that it sprays the "cup" of the piston. Just CAREFULLY bend it so it clears the side of the piston web.

Last edited:

bmod530

Just installed the new bent jets and it is good to go. Steve, i'm going to be driving up to Big Rapids in a month, your gonna have to check out #88/2000. I sold 1847 out here in California. Thanks everyone for the advice/info

fivestardsm

Sweet. Give me a call when your on your way.

231-250-5972

GVR-4

Here's a photo of one of my bone-stock oil squirters.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts