The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Windshield cowl weatherstripping

JR92

I removed my windshield wipers and cowl to get the rust off them and repaint them.The weatherstripping on top of the cowl is cracked and broken along the edges and I believe this is the cause of my leak that I get when it rains hard. I’m sure it’s probably impossible to find an oem one but has anyone found a product that is an effective replacement? Was going to take it by my local glass shop to see if they had something, but wanted to check here first to see if someone else has done this.

slugsgomoo

aftermarket universal trim looks better than factory IMO, and seals great, it's what I've got on my car.

IO0GToH.jpg

fuel

^^ OK but he's talking about the strip of rubber trip that runs along the top of the windshield cowl (under the wipers). You can even see the strip in your photo - it always ends up being an inch or two short on either side over the years as it shrinks and goes hard.

CutlassJim

I'm with Wop. It's just to protect the glass from the metal. The seal is %100 on the backside of the glass. That area under the cowl is made to have water in it. It has a drain on both sides behind the fenders. The source of the dreaded fender rust after the drain holes clog up.

JR92

Ok. When I get it painted I’ll just put a strip of butyl tape on the underside. I’ll definitely check the drain holes to see if that’s the cause of the leak. Already tested the sunroof drain tubes and they are ok.

CutlassJim

You can see them here with the fender off. Both the large opening and the rubber dink.

5PKHpoYl.jpg

JR92

Pulled the fender and checked. There was a little dirt in the forward hole but the rear one was clear and the sunroof drain was intact. The only thing that makes sense at this point is the windshield must be leaking. Going to take it by my local glass shop and get them to reinstall it.

thomcasey

Check the AC connections at the firewall. You can get a leak there too. Sometimes it gets pushed back inside a bit

JR92

Didn’t even think of that. I did notice when I removed my ac lines that the connector on the firewall was a little loose. I'll check it out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts