The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wind whistling through my door

Hertz

Staff member
Sorry, I'm in the daily-driver category, so I have questions like this...At about 60mph+ I get a lot of wind noise through my door seal -- there is a lot of play between the door and the frame and the seal consequently doesn't hold.Now I've seen in the service manual that there is an "optional" tool for adjusting the door, but I haven't found any details on how the procedure is done.I can see that the black platic sheath on the latch is worn about 1/16" -- I imagine that swapping that part with a less worn one would help, but I am still curious how to adjust the doors.Any pointers?

kartorium

are u talking about the upper rear corner of you door? If so i am gonna just bend mine cause it does the same thing.

1) Lower window
2) sit on edge of seat, facing door
3) brace knees against door
4) jerk top of door frame inward
Thats how I did it
wink.gif

Jeff O.
#1886/2000

Or you can just put some OIL on it. "the window seal" That works too. [This message has been edited by khadiyev (edited 08-22-2002).]

Another possibliity is to get some replacement door trim, JC Whitney sells them I thinkg for our cars.
But I think they where like $70 or something just for the front two doors? For that much I would buy some 3m tape and put it in where you can see "daylight" or feel air coming through that will stop it and if you place the tape under the old trim you won't see it either.
Just a thought,

Hertz

Staff member
Okay.
smile.gif
I was really looking for something a little more mechanical -- but I think I can handle brute-force fixing.Thanks!

number3

quote:Originally posted by keydiver:
1) Lower window
2) sit on edge of seat, facing door
3) brace knees against door
4) jerk top of door frame inward
Thats how I did it
wink.gif

Jeff O.
#1886/2000
This is the fix.Harry

I'm going to try that fix by keydiver. I've bent the top of my door to keep that overwhelming wind sound but didn't help much. The technique Keydiver did is the same but applied differently. I'm going to do it tonight.

You can also make small,small holes it the rubber and inject either rtv caulk or low expansion latex foam to give the seals back their original shape. Sounds hoaky but is much cheaper than new gaskets

I must congratulate Keydiver. This morning before I left for work, I rolled down the windows, used my knees to brace the door & pulled on the top of the door a few times. The wind noise has gone down drastically.

Gvr4-330

My problem is wind noise from the driver's side rear quarter window. Anyone else have that problem? I noticed it only after someone else drove the car on the highway with me in the back seat.Rob

number3

To pull the rear quater window out. It is bolted in. Unbolt, push, Apply new sealant and reinstall. Harry

KenGVR4

I just put a piece of weatherstripping in the door frame in the front "corner" (more like a 45 degree bend) of the window. I used to have a horrible whistle above 70mph, now it's totally silent. And no worries about bending the window up too much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts