The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why remove the balance shafts?

s_firestone

Quote:
Quote:
If I want silky smooth, I'd own a Lexus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Life is too short to drive a Lexus

+1

Hertz

Staff member
My BS belt > timing belt failure was due to a piece of my lower timing belt cover taking it out. +1 for not running the lower cover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ryan,

Please eloborate. Did the cover break and wedge between the belt and pulley? how did the cover cause the belt to break?

James

Quote:

on the subject of mitsubishi's Sirius engines, could you please explain the 4g61 please ?

shorter stroke motor, so I doesnt need BS...

Also what no one took in accout is that even though both weights IN UNISON cancel out the vibrations that drivers feel, each balance shaft is still an unbalanced COUNTERWEIGHT rotating unevenly in their own bearings. Those bearings take a boat load of abuse. Dependant on the previous owner , those bearings might have taken some abuse.
Missed shifts, irregular oil changes, or just plain ol' high mileage. I've had BS's destroy TWO MOTORS, and have seen where a spun bearing threw a B/S into a wobble and blow a HOLE through the side of a block, and destroy a customers head. Your being a mitsu mechanic is great, but your reasoning far from gospel. I would venture to guess that there are those of us who have built-rebuilt, and wrenched on 4G63's a tad more than you. The best of luck with your reasoning as to why you leave them in, but I guarantee you this the first motor that breaks on you from a busted BS, and youre gonna have a sh*t storm on your hands trying to explain why you didnt remove them.

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
I don't need any BS either, I've got plenty here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

John

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
each balance shaft is still an unbalanced COUNTERWEIGHT rotating unevenly in their own bearings. Those bearings take a boat load of abuse.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts